First New Coffeemaker in 9 Years!

Just ordered a new auto drip coffeemaker!

For the last 9 years or so, I've used the BUNN Velocity Brew. Good brewer for medium and dark roasts, but over the last few years, and, especially, over the last few months, I've developed a real affinity for light roasts, and the sweet, fruity, and tangy notes that come through when coffee is roasted lightly.

Of course, the pourover brew method, with all the variables that can be tweaked and controlled, is ideal for bringing out flavor in light roasts. I really enjoy pourovers, and it's my go-to brew method on the weekends these days (V60 primarily, also have a Chemex for larger amounts).

However, there's not always time to do a proper pourover on early work mornings when I'm leaving the house at 0430 or before, and I just want to make a pot of autodrip.

Recently when trying some lightly-roasted specialty coffee through the BUNN, I noticed that the taste was flat and under extracted, and, having learned recently that lighter-roasted beans need a higher brew temp for proper extraction (due to their density), I suspected that the BUNN was just not cutting it for these light roasts.

I measured the temp of the brew water directly out of the sprayhead pipe, and it was only 185 degrees F, confirming my suspicion. And the temperature drop will be even worse - probably at least 5 degrees F lower - once it hits the coffee slurry.

See attached video:

So, I decided it was time to start looking for a new brewer.

I started watching video reviews of some of my favorite YouTube reviewers, including James Hoffman, who has a good video where he reviews some of the top SCA (Specialty Coffee Association)-certified auto drip brewers.

Which was where I learned about the Behmor Brazen Plus 3.0. (The 3.0 signifies that the brewer is in its 3rd iteration; it's been around for about 10 years, and it's been updated 3 times).

I'd orginally been just about sold on the Breville Precision Brewer, which @BeerCan has previously mentioned here in this forum. And the glass-carafe model had been on sale for $229 on Amazon ($50 off), which was a good deal. But in the last day or two, the sale ended and the price went back up to $279, which made me start looking again at other options.

One reason that I really gravitated towards the BUNN 9 years ago was the (fairly) uniform brew temperature, due to the nature of how it operates (water is constantly kept at brew temperature in a heated reservoir in the back of the machine). It's just that it loses too much heat as it flows up through the (fairly long) pipe that takes it up to the spray head.

Well, the Behmor solves that problem with its design. The water reservoir is at the top. Water is poured in, where it's heated to whatever brew temperature is set by the user (selectable, anywhere from 190-210 degrees F, in ONE-DEGREE INCREMENTS!). It even pauses a few degrees below the set temperature to prevent the set temp from being overshot (it creeps slowly up to the set temp). There's a valve at the bottom, which opens to allow the brew water to flow through the sprayhead and into the filter basket, but only after the water has reached the selected temp. And, because of the design, the water has a very short path to travel before it hits the spray head, minimizing heat loss.

Additionally, the computer controller in the machine prevents heat loss in the brew water by "pulsing" power to the heater, preventing deviation from the pre-set brew temperature, either up or down. Water is "pulsed" at 15-second intervals, a little at a time, creating turbulence, which improves extraction. There is also a pre-infusion mode in order to "bloom" the coffee (CO2 release from freshly-roasted coffee), the length of which is also able to be set.

Another design feature I was impressed with, which also influenced my decision, was the spray head itself.

One of the biggest complaints with the TechniVorm MoccaMaster, which is perhaps the most well-known auto drip coffeemaker amongst those who enjoy specialty coffee, is the inadequate spray head, which is too narrow, resulting in less-than-ideal distribution of brew water, and un-uniform soaking of the coffee grounds.

The Brazen's sprayhead, on the other hand, is the most substantial spray head I've ever seen on a coffee maker. In fact, it more resembles a shower head. It's very wide, and the flow is reminiscent of that produced by pourover drip-assist devices such as the Hario V60 Drip Assist which ensures very wide dispersion of brew water over the grounds.

Another cool thing that the Behmor offers is the ability to use it with other brew implements such as the Chemex, V60, Kalita Wave, etc. All you have to do is remove the Brazen's brew funnel and place the pourover dripper of your choice underneath. The Behmor has a mode for this - You can manually control the flow/pulses of water to your liking.

Perhaps not something I'll use much, as I enjoy manual pourovers using my kettle, but it's something fun to play around with, and the wide dispersion showerhead on the Brazen will certainly produce a different flavor profile than manual pourover with a kettle.

Another feature I may not use much, but is still nice to have, is the ability to set the brewer up and have it brew a pot of coffee at a set time. I like to grind my beans immediately before brewing, because I've long believed that it makes a positive difference in the flavor of the coffee. But hey, sometimes you might be willing to sacrifice a few percentage points of flavor to have coffee waiting for you the next morning, especially when you're short on time!

Something else that might be of interest to BITOG coffee fans who live at higher elevations - the Behmor has altitude settings to compensate for the lower boiling point of water at higher elevations. This only needs to be done once, when the machine is set up. You just enter the elevation where you live, add water to the calibration mark in the reservoir, and the machine does the rest!

Anyway, I've sort of rambled on here, but I can't wait to get the new coffeemaker and try it out! I'm looking forward to playing around with this brewer, trying different temp settings, etc.

Anybody else had one of these?

Incidentally, this isn't the only brewer on the market that functions in this way. A couple of years ago, BUNN came out with a copycat model of its own, which is called the Heat 'N Brew. It works in the same basic manner, though it does not have user-selectable brew water temperature, and the shower head is not as wide. It is cheaper, however. Might be an option for some. But I really wanted the selectable brew temperature.

My wife uses something similar to this but about 5 years old. She loves it. I build lattes and I use Breville espresso machines for that task. I have a couple as the last one wore out the pump, which I replaced ,it necessitated buying a new one while I awaited parts, meh, whats another $700 for a replacement. I don't care for autogrind or much of anything auto. My brother has some monstrosity called an Isomac. Huge Italian thing. Makes good espresso but pricey. The rebuilt Breville I own is sitting on a shelf waiting to be put back in the game. Hope its a few years.

Here's the coffee maker we use:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both the technivorm moccamaster and a bonavita bv1900ts

I like the former better the cone filter helps with any shortcomings of the showerhead.

The bonavita does make a nice cup of coffee and the filter head is very even. It uses basket filters (so it has to be very even)

I've had 2 behmor coffee roasters.. their products do not last well but they pretty much have the entire market for a decent under 500$ coffee roaster.

My only concerns with their coffee maker would be durability over time. I am sure it makes an excellent cup.

The bunn is only good for full pots and you really should have a 5-7min brew time.
The major issue with the bunn is you cant presoak the coffee grounds for 30s or so to open them up and it has an extremely short brew time.
also the less roasted the beans are (and the fresher) the more resistant to extraction (maybe not the best words to describe)

Fresh coffee can be considerably water resistant.. so a very short brew time of the bunn you are undoubtably correct it was weak and underextracted.
whether from water not hot enough(an issue) or the brew time being so short (bigger issue)

edited for clarity.

@john_pifer If you PM me your address I'll send you a lb of coffee to try in your new coffee pot.
Might take a week or so I need to get some roasted.

Last edited:
If you are giving away coffee.....I like dark roast, Italian roast but not French. If you grind it, espresso grind. He l l, I am willing to even pay for a pound and postage just to give it a try. I usually buy the starbucks Italian roast and have them grind it. Sometimes I haul it home and grind it myself. I'm too lazy to roast my own and the knowledge I would need would force out needed trivia being stored in my brain.

My coffee maker is a whole lot older than yours. She just gets up earlier than me.

1697580900469.png

CSA Images

If you are giving away coffee.....I like dark roast, Italian roast but not French. If you grind it, espresso grind. He l l, I am willing to even pay for a pound and postage just to give it a try. I usually buy the starbucks Italian roast and have them grind it. Sometimes I haul it home and grind it myself. I'm too lazy to roast my own and the knowledge I would need would force out needed trivia being stored in my brain.
With the beans I have I think med-dark is about the best.. medium tastes pretty.. um... grassy? wheat?
At medium dark its nice and roasty but doesnt taste burnt at all.

Its really hard to take a good coffee bean pic.. the smartphone cameras always want to recolor it incorrectly.
1697584989566.jpg

I tried a Bunn Velocity Brew. I took it back after one pot. Weak coffee. 😖
I plugged half the holes with toothpicks on mine so it would take 2x longer to brew.. it was ok then. but still sold it after 5months for the Moccamaster.

I mean who wants old hot water.. esp if you are gone a day or 2.

Coffee taste better with fresh cold water and fresh beans ground immediately before brewing.

I have both the technivorm moccamaster and a bonavita bv1900ts

I like the former better the cone filter helps with any shortcomings of the showerhead.

The bonavita does make a nice cup of coffee and the filter head is very even. It uses basket filters (so it has to be very even)

I've had 2 behmor coffee roasters.. their products do not last well but they pretty much have the entire market for a decent under 500$ coffee roaster.

My only concerns with their coffee maker would be durability over time. I am sure it makes an excellent cup.

The bunn is only good for full pots and you really should have a 5-7min brew time.
The major issue with the bunn is you cant presoak the coffee grounds for 30s or so to open them up and it has an extremely short brew time.
also the less roasted the beans are (and the fresher) the more resistant to extraction (maybe not the best words to describe)

Fresh coffee can be considerably water resistant.. so a very short brew time of the bunn you are undoubtably correct it was weak and underextracted.
whether from water not hot enough(an issue) or the brew time being so short (bigger issue)

edited for clarity.

@john_pifer If you PM me your address I'll send you a lb of coffee to try in your new coffee pot.
Might take a week or so I need to get some roasted.
You’re extremely generous, and I’ll happily take you up on your offer…but, please, only if you will allow me to contribute to your green coffee buying fund!

Re: BUNN: I got around the lack of bloom function by simply closing the lid, allowing water to flow from the spray head while moving the basket around, and that would allow a decent bloom.

It’s a decent brewer - for traditional-style medium and darker roasts. The water flows out of the spray head with enough force to decently agitate the coffee grounds. Problem is, it just doesn’t get hot enough.

I compensated for the quick brew time by grinding finer and a shorter ratio - 15:1 instead of the more common 16:1 or 17:1.

Re: Behmor longevity: Well, I guess we’ll see! The price is not bad ($199), and I really don’t think there is another consumer brewer out there that offers adjustability this granular as far as temp control, and I really like that.

I also LOVE the wide shower head design. Some enterprising coffee lovers out there have 3D-printed similar designs for the MoccaMaster, recognizing its distribution shortcomings.

Like I said, I think it’s a good price (though it’s gone up by $20, from what I’ve seen).

I also think the Breville Precision Brewer (with glass carafe) is a good deal at $229 (but not at $279). It’ll probably go back down at some point. If I didn’t mention it, it also has temperature adjustment capability (197° - 204°, I think they advertise). It also has a bunch of other features that I wouldn’t use, like automatic cold brew making functionality. I’ve tried cold brew (we actually got an RG3 cold brew maker for a wedding gift), and I’m just not enamored with it. I’d rather make iced coffee.

Always nice to get a new coffee maker lol. We replaced our 10 or 11 year old one a few months ago because the back cracked. I guess it was just from age. Nothing like walking in the kitchen after walking the dog to find your coffee all over the counter and then not having it for that day lol.

My coffee maker is a whole lot older than yours. She just gets up earlier than me.

View attachment 183955
CSA Images
My wife drinks coffee but she is nowhere close to me on the coffee nerdiness continuum.

Her “daily driver” is Mokapot, with Cafe Bustelo preground. She mixes it with milk or oat milk.

She does enjoy the pourovers I make, and drinks it black.

I tried a Bunn Velocity Brew. I took it back after one pot. Weak coffee. 😖
They make decent coffee but you need to tweak the grind size and ratio due to the quick brew cycle.

Like Rand was saying, they do best with a full pot, and they do make 50 oz.

But I typically do half a pot and it does well with med roast and med-fine grind (#4 on my Fellow Ode with the Eight ‘O Clock Coffee 100% Colombian Peaks, a typical medium roast, works quite well).

I will say, the ability to make 50 fl oz of coffee in 3 minutes is handy, and if it’s a med or dark roast, and you have the grind size set correctly, it’s a good pot of coffee.

I plugged half the holes with toothpicks on mine so it would take 2x longer to brew.. it was ok then. but still sold it after 5months for the Moccamaster.

I mean who wants old hot water.. esp if you are gone a day or 2.

Coffee taste better with fresh cold water and fresh beans ground immediately before brewing.
They sell a reduced-flow spray head, but I found it to not work well, because it’s defeating the designers’ original intent for the brewer, which is to say, their design compensated for the quick 2-3 min brew time by employing a high-flow shower head, which “shoots” the water into the coffee bed, creating turbulence, and, thus, agitation, increasing extraction.

There are many ways to skin a cat…and brew a pot of coffee.

They make decent coffee but you need to tweak the grind size and ratio due to the quick brew cycle.

Like Rand was saying, they do best with a full pot, and they do make 50 oz.

But I typically do half a pot and it does well with med roast and med-fine grind (#4 on my Fellow Ode with the Eight ‘O Clock Coffee 100% Colombian Peaks, a typical medium roast, works quite well).

I will say, the ability to make 50 fl oz of coffee in 3 minutes is handy, and if it’s a med or dark roast, and you have the grind size set correctly, it’s a good pot of coffee.
My observation was that it brewed too fast and the temperature was too low. Heck, an el cheapo Mr. Coffee made better coffee. Community Coffee Signature Dark is my usual brand.

My observation was that it brewed too fast and the temperature was too low. Heck, an el cheapo Mr. Coffee made better coffee. Community Coffee Signature Dark is my usual brand.
I like Community Coffee - I have a soft spot for NOLA; we spent a few nights there in April 2021 for our first wedding anniversary.

Wish Community sold their whole bean in grocery stores.

if I want great coffee I use and old sunbeam percolator. It has to boil to make coffee and it tastes great. Mostly though we just use the Hamilton Beach 12 cup drip pot with auto start. Mr Coffee is not hot enough.
Closest thing to the classic percolator I’ve used is the Mokapot, which is actually a type of percolator. And if you do it right, you can make a dang fine cup of (almost) espresso with one.

I’ll start a new thread with a good Mokapot recipe I learned about.

I guess i need to get a percolator just to see what home-brewed coffee was like back in the ‘50s.

Very happy with this Zojirushi. One thing I do is heat the coffee pot before brewing the coffee, really keeps the coffee at the right temperature without the continual cooking of a coffee pot with a heat pad.

PXL_20231018_030343411.jpg

Interesting choice to replace the Bunn. Looking forward to your report!
I've not had any issues with drip head and uneven saturation of the ground coffee with either of my Moccamasters. The heated water pulses through the head openings randomly and with a degree of force.
I do interrupt the brewing for 30 seconds but I'm still not sure if that's voodoo or if it improves taste. I honestly cannot tell.

Back