The $119 Nespresso Machine and pod thoughts

Im about to be in the doghouse with ya. I just bought a MoccaMaster. A few weeks after buying a new Behmor. LOL.

Seriously though, I’m thinking of getting a Nespresso machine for my sister and mom for Christmas. They live together, and both drink coffee, albeit with a good amount of Coffeemate flavored creamer added.

A few years ago for Christmas, I got them their first Keurig. Before that, they used a Mr. Coffee, but theyve gotten addicted/spoiled by the convenience of the Keurig. My sister is the kind of person who is not a morning person. Like, don’t speak to her until that coffee mug is halfway gone, at least, and she’s had a few minutes to wake up. So, she enjoys the ease of making coffee with the Keurig.

But, being my sister, she’s also been exposed to “good” coffee, so she has some realization that the Keurig doesn’t exactly produce a stellar quality cup of coffee, but the convenience aspect is more important to her than having the absolute best quality cup.

However…if she could get a BETTER cup, with not much more effort…she would probably like that.

Enter….my thoughts on getting her a Nespresso.

Everything I have heard seems to indicate that the Nespresso makes a better cup than a Keurig.

So, if I were to get them a Nespresso machine, which one would you recommend that I get for them?

How much are these pods? That is the other question.
Whenever I buy something over say $500.00; could be motorcycle, car etc., I tell my wife it cost $11.00 when she asks how much I spent.

This has been an interesting thread thus far. I've been using Nespresso for about six or seven years. I had my first cup at a client's home which was made with the Pxie machine using the original pods. Soon after, some friends got an Inissa machine and I enjoyed coffee at their place. It wasn't long before I purchased my own machine and bought pods directly from Nespresso. I looked around for less expensive alternatives with the requirement that the pods had to be recyclable aluminum. I eventually discovered Peet's was available at Costco for about half the price of Nespresso's capsules. I soon discovered some eBay sellers offering larger packages of single blend capsules for even better prices.

Eventually, I moved to the Vertuo machine because I could get a greater variety of cup sizes and Costco had a sale on a model with some accessories which I never used). I kept my old Inissa machine and eventually got a second one from a friend who moved to a Vertuo machine.

After a while, I went back to using the French press as the results were superior to the capsules. However, I missed the convenience of the Nespresso machine, and I now use both, with the French press providing my morning cup and the Vertuo providing an afternoon pick-me-up. I still have the Inissa machines although I'd like to give one away ... I really don't need two.

I will never use plastic capsules such as those offered by Keurig and other aftermarket providers. I don't use plastic to store food or from which to eat. One of the things that sold me on Nespresso was that their capsules are recyclable and are recycled. There are several videos that show their process. In short, the grounds are separated from the aluminum and composted while the capsules are shredded, smelted, and reused. Nespresso provides free bags that can be dropped off at Nespresso stores or at your local UPS outlet and are shipped free to a recycling facility.

Nespresso for the best pod machine cup o joe.
After decades of business travel with the Keurigs and Nespresso pods, I prefer to land in a room with a Nespresso machine in it.

These are fun machines.

I wouldn't change my home machine B2C machine out for either.
There is in an ROI to be had on a bean to cup machine, and something to be said for wider, easier and more repeatable product costs.

I'm avoiding taking on the break even analysis of a pod machine to a bean to cup machine, but the nespresso is an expensive machine to run comparatively, and produces much more waste I have to manage/ pay to remove.

What waste do you have to pay to remove?

Used cups and pods go into a trash can that I pay for by weight.

Used coffee grounds get dumped into the garden.

Come to think if it..... there is also the box the pods or cups came in which can be burned (if I burned trash) but mostly you also pay to recycle.

When you compare the packaging by the pound of consumable product its kind ridiculous.

I get that poeple may want 20 flavors in a small box though which is harder to do than with beans.

Used cups and pods go into a trash can that I pay for by weight.

Used coffee grounds get dumped into the garden.
Nespresso offers free recycling and composting of the used pods and spent grounds.

IMG_6455.jpeg
IMG_6454.jpeg
I recycle aluminum regularly

Don't you go to town regularly?

I go to work regularly 3 days a week not so much to " town".

Carting around leaky old pucks doenst have a lot of appeal to me, but good to know Nestle tries to assuage that concern.

I go to work regularly 3 days a week not so much to " town".

Carting around leaky old pucks doenst have a lot of appeal to me, but good to know Nestle tries to assuage that concern.
The "leaky old pucks" are carted about in free, leakproof bags supplied by Nespresso. You now now what's available and can choose your course.

Yes, I do. I drop them off at one of the local UPS outlets. Totally free, don't even have to wait. I just put the bag on the counter and walk off.

Where do you keep the partially filled bags in your house?
I think I read they hold between 100 and 200 .

Where do you keep the partially filled bags in your house?
I think I read they hold between 100 and 200 .
Usually under the sink in the kitchen next to the recycling container. If the bag gets full before I'm ready to go to the UPS outlet, I just put it in the trunk of my car. I order a few recycling bags at a time so there's always an empty one available.

Back