Why Rotate Your Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Ford Twin-I beam suspension was notorious for wearing the outer edge of the front tires into a saw-tooth pattern. I would do 5,000 mile rotations then at about 25,000 miles have the tires remounted and balanced turning the inside of the tire to the outside. It worked out well for me for many years. I just put new tires on my 88 E-150 and if I have the van long enough will do the same thing. I just make sure when buying tires that could be mounted either way on the rim.

I believe only toe in and toe out was adjustable and anything else required cold bending the I-Beams. Not many people were able to do it properly, it was expensive, and like playing Russian Roulette with 4 bullets in the gun. They have since improved the front ends on the trucks and vans.

I rotate so that I can replace all the tires at around the same time. If I were wearing the front tires down in a short time period, it would make sense to just leave them there until they're done and put new ones on the back.

If I get to the point that one pair of tires is considerably more worn than the other, the worn pair just stays on the front. My mother's winter tires are currently this way. The tires on the back still have 75% of the tread and all the studs. The front tires are at 50% with most of the studs worn off, so they're staying there until they're replaced.

Many tire stores provide "lifetime" rotatation and balance either included in the price of the tire or for a nominal charge. Well worth it IMO. IMO tires last longer by wearing even. Also balance helps immensely. After 5-7,000 miles or so very few tires are still in balance. Here in So California where we do a lot of freeway (free for a while longer lol)driving, that is important

Some info

http://204.71.140.50/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/

http://www.goodyeartires.com/kyt/maintainingATire/#6

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: coolhunting
Every tire position (e.g. RF/LF/RR/LR) on a vehicle (may) wear the tire differently. The idea is to rotate a tire in all positions so the different wear patterns occur across all tires. This ensures that all tires have the same traction/handling characteristics and helps promote longer tire life through more even tread wear.

Allow me take this a step further:

Whgen you rotate, the parts of the tire that didn't wear as much will wear a little faster and the parts of the tire that wore faster will wear more slowly. The net effect is the tire delivers more miles - not to mention the end result is an evenly worn tire.

If done correctly and often enough, the difference is tread depth between rotations is small enough to be considered the same - which means no change in the handling (which is why they say put the best tires on the rear.)

I understand.

However, why wouldn't it make sense to have your BEST tires in the rear at all times? I understand that certain parts of the tire will wear faster, hence the recommendation (I've been told) to rotate from side-to-side only on certain tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

However, why wouldn't it make sense to have your BEST tires in the rear at all times? I understand that certain parts of the tire will wear faster, hence the recommendation (I've been told) to rotate from side-to-side only on certain tires.

I'm almost thinking you're advocating creating a set where there are "better" and "worse" tires within the set. Why not keep all the tires equally good?

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I rotate my tires at home at every 6,000 miles at alternating oil changes. The only time a shop rotates for me is if I have the tires balanced. I bought a lifetime balance and rotation policy for a few bucks extra per tire. It saves me money if I have a vibration problem and need the tires balanced. If all my truck needs is rotation, I enjoy doing it myself and it saves me a trip to the tire store. Plus I can clean, adjust and inspect my brakes, check the suspension parts, etc while I'm at it.

Rotating my tires definitely makes them wear more evenly and last longer.

+1 here, If the tires are not directional rears straight up to front, cross the fronts on the way to the rear, unless stated otherwise in the OM.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I prefer more tread in front.

I agree. That's where most of your braking power is.

It's not the tire tread that provides grip on the road, but it's the rough surface of the road -- at least on a dry and clean road, which isn't worn.

If the tread is so low that gripping power on a wet road is compromised, then the tires should be replaced anyway.

Whether the front or rear tires have one or more less mm tread should make little difference. Simply don't let it get to the point where two tires have 80% and the other two tires have 30% of tread left. Rotate the tires accordingly.

One thing I know for sure: I would not put old (in terms of age) or repaired tires on the rear.

Well, you really need winter tires, brutha! After all, you do live in what Gary Allan would call a seasonal, environmental lottery zone.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
One fewer set to 80K? How many sets of tires does that take?

My fingers say 2 (the OE set and one good replacement set). You had co-workers that needed 3 sets of tires just to get to 80k?

Some guys were on their fourth set of tires by the time they hit 80K. My cars always went back on the second set of tires, well worn but with enough tread left that the leasing company would accept them.

You would be shocked by how some people treat a company car. It is shameful, really. [censored], we had a few guys who couldn't get 80K out of the original drivetrain. People who don't get their oil changed on schedule when the service is free sure as [censored] don't rotate their tires.

There are numerous variables, but once corporate cracked down o nmaintenance and required that tires be rotated every other oil change, tire life fleetwide went up.

Amazing. People refuse to listen or even consider recommendations from those who make their cars, tires, oil on and on. Just admit it. You either don't want to be bothered or pay for tire rotations. Most of the reasonslisted for not rotating are silly at best.

What? I take my tires on and off several times a season and I could either rotate them or put them back on the way they came off. Often, they go right back on the way they came off. That's a non-issue.

Another non-issue is listening to vehicle mfgs. Not every mfg recommends rotating. There is simply no compelling reason to "even out" tire wear and continue to drive on 4 worn out tires over winter when I can come out of summer and fall with 2 rear tires that are less worn, 2 fronts that are ready to be tossed and replaced.

Nothing personal, just that were you live you should not be trying to lay down the law on people who have more serious driving concerns than trying to get the last 1000 miles out of a set of 4 bald tires.

I rotate the tires myself even though it is free with my tire dealer as part of the purchase price. I do it myself because they don't torque the wheel nuts correctly, even though I directly ask them to do it correctly each visit. They don't put the 4 wheel drive hubs back on in the right position and then they force the wheel on with excessive torque trying to smash the hub on in the wrong position. The hub has a specific lug nut alignment that is required. One time I have had to jump on a five foot long extension bar to get my wheels nuts loose after they rotated the tires. My impact wrench wouldn't even budge the nuts. Another time one wheel fell off while the car was being driven because they forgot to tighten the wheel nuts and they vibrated loose. We are lucky that nobody was hurt. Improperly torqued wheel nuts contribute to warped rotors. Uneven tire wear can damage the AWD driveline and possibly the transmission. Hard to win unless I do it myself.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Nothing personal, just that where you live you should not be trying to lay down the law on people who have more serious driving concerns than trying to get the last 1000 miles out of a set of 4 bald tires.

AJ,

Lighten up! Tenderloin was just expressing an opinion - not "laying down the law". Discussion is the point of these forums.

While I think MY ideas are the "correct" ones, it's quite possible that I am wrong - or may be wrong for certain circumstances. If we don't explore and question the information, how are we to know what's the right thing to do?

For example: I'm a advocate of rotating tires on a frequent basis. I think vehicle manufacturers who do not recommend tire rotation - such as BMW - are giving out bad advice. I think my opinion is the absolutely right and correct one for ME!

Nevertheless, I recognize that if someone has to pay for the service, it might not be cost effective - FOR THEM. Not to mention that anyone can do what they think they should do. Others may disagree, but each person has to decide for themselves.

Right, correct for YOU, rather than calling other member's "lazy" when the agenda actually goes over their head.

Audi Junkie So you drive a BMW? What does Audi, VW and most mfg recommend? Directional tires of course can be different.

Since when did "bothered" or "not pay" become "lazy"?

Touchy. LOL

1. So all 4 tires get replaced at the same time.

2. The decreasing performance of the tires goes down linearly. (No uneven wear patterns, or different traction in the front or rear), thus, no handling surprises. (The best reason I think)

3. Because the tire manufacturers said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back