Fresh tires on the front or rear?

I'm going to get 2 new tires soon. I was planning on putting them on the front so I can steer if one of the old tires on the rear blows out, but the internet says to put new tires on the rear to prevent oversteer, especially in rain or snow. Where would you put the new tires, and why?
I'm not buying 4 tires for financial reasons. I have 2012 michelins on the rear end and 2018 coopers on the front. One of the michelins died, so I was going to get new rubber for the front and move the coopers to the rear. The spare I have is another 2012 Michelin and I'll probably keep it that way. The new tires I've decided on are Walmart dextero a/t tires, which are $122 each and made in USA. They're almost the same as gt radial at3 tires (made by the same company, same tread pattern, different siping)

If you let the shop install, they likely won't put onto the front. Oversteer is usually worse than understeer.

What is the tire depth on the tires you are keeping?
About 5/32 but I'm in Arizona so It rarely rains, and when it does I slow down

Here we go. 🍿

In spite of experts like Tire Rack, Discount, Goodyear, Michelin, Les Schwab, Popular Mechanics, Tesla, Uniroyal, and on and on saying to put on the rear you'll be told by some to put them on the front. The only internet experts who say put them on the front are unknown individuals or entities with an opinion.

Here we go. 🍿

In spite of experts like Tire Rack, Discount, Goodyear, Michelin, Les Schwab, Popular Mechanics, Tesla, Uniroyal, and on and on saying to put on the rear you'll be told by some to put them on the front. The only internet experts who say put them on the front are unknown individuals or entities with an opinion.

Does it matter if front or rear wheel drive??

Forget about all the experts listed and listen to me ~
Best tires in the rear - the idea is to avoid a roll over …

What if the tires blow out rather than hydroplane? A blow out on the front will jerk the steering wheel around, while one on the rear will just cause a lot of drag and rock the car. I've had a rear tire fail at 70mph, the car just suddenly felt like it lost power and started leaning to one side.

What if the tires blow out rather than hydroplane? A blow out on the front will jerk the steering wheel around, while one on the rear will just cause a lot of drag and rock the car. I've had a rear tire fail at 70mph, the car just suddenly felt like it lost power and started leaning to one side.
Have a nice day …

What tires wear faster on your car? I'd stick the new ones there. As said above you'll be hobbled in your rotation if you have better tires on the rear. Assuming front tires wear faster, the fronts will always have less than the rear, until your first rotation, then it's catch-up time.

5/32 isn't great. If you were in a rainstorm with 4 tires at 5/32 you'd probably hydroplane at 65-70 mph.

The issue with new tires in front is they evacuate water from the road, and as long as you're going perfectly straight, life is good. But start a gentle turn when you're already at the verge of losing it, and your old rear tires are now on uncleared standing water, and now you spin out.

I'm helping a friend get a set of tires for his 2007 TSX. Costco has $150 off a set of 4 Bridgestones. 2 of his tires are OK; he needs 2 for sure. The 1
$150 off basically pays for 1 of the tires, so he is getting 4 for the price of 3.

If replacing 2 tires, put them in the rear.
Good luck.

What tires wear faster on your car? I'd stick the new ones there. As said above you'll be hobbled in your rotation if you have better tires on the rear. Assuming front tires wear faster, the fronts will always have less than the rear, until your first rotation, then it's catch-up time.

5/32 isn't great. If you were in a rainstorm with 4 tires at 5/32 you'd probably hydroplane at 65-70 mph.

The issue with new tires in front is they evacuate water from the road, and as long as you're going perfectly straight, life is good. But start a gentle turn when you're already at the verge of losing it, and your old rear tires are now on uncleared standing water, and now you spin out.
I don't know which tires are wearing faster, they started at 2 different tread depths and I've driven less than 8000 miles since I put the coopers on, 18 months ago.

Would you rather have 2 new high end tires or 4 new mid grade tires?
I only have dough for 2 mid grade tires, if i spent enough for 4 I wouldn't have much left for gas. I only drive about once a week, and in the past 2 years I've driven in the rain once. There was standing water on the highway and my wipers couldn't keep up with the downpour so I kept it below 60 that night.

I'm just a high school kid

Last edited:
I don't know which tires are wearing faster, they started at 2 different tread depths and I've driven less than 8000 miles since I put the coopers on, 18 months ago.

I'm just a high school kid
So your good tires were over 50% gone when you got them used 18 months and 8000 miles ago. Or your Montero is chewing them up.

It sounds like you're going to disregard the advice of every major tire company and retailer and do what you want. At 5/32s and 5 years old in Arizona your good tires are going to need replaced real soon as well.

Back