Tire rotation for AWD?

[QUOTE="I No, they’re awful. They came on our crv from the factory. Trash.
[/QUOTE]
The OEM Bridgestone Ecopia (H/L 422 Plus) came on our CPO Lexus RX350. We got the car with 15K miles, and these were the original tires. At about 25K miles, the tires entirely lost the sense of traction on wet roads. We replaced them with Continental LX25 tires, much better.

Hi Everyone, and thank you in advance for your feedback.

My apologies for asking a question I think I may know the answer to, but just looking for some validation to ensure I am doing the right thing.

Bottom line question: Is it important that regularly I rotate my OEM Bridgestone Ecopia (H/L 422 Plus) tires on an AWD 2023 Mazda CX-9?

A little background: I have always been diligent in rotating tires on all of our cars after I replace the OEM tires with something from DT or Costco, but not so much the OEM tires for some reason. I have had a company car for the last 20+ years, but moved employers to a company who does a car allowance instead of a company car, so I purchased a 2023 Mazda CX-9 (my first AWD vehicle). I have had it for 7 months, and visited the dealership today for its first oil change at 5K miles. The initial service is free, and they also rotated the tires. Knowing that I will be doing 5K mile OCIs, should I plan to rotate the tires every 5K or 10K miles too, or just rotate if I notice any uneven wear?
Have your Tires RotatEd Regularly it will only Prolong the life for your Tires

On my v6 awd Highlander i do front straight back then rears crossed to front every 5k
Tires still look perfect after 20k

The OEM Bridgestone Ecopia (H/L 422 Plus) came on our CPO Lexus RX350. We got the car with 15K miles, and these were the original tires. At about 25K miles, the tires entirely lost the sense of traction on wet roads. We replaced them with Continental LX25 tires, much better.
Yep. I got rid of ours at 22k miles. Went with the Defenders of course. :cool:

On an AWD vehicle, the tire tread depth should be roughly the same between all tires. A difference greater than 3/32 of an inch or 2.4mm or whatever the vehicle manufacturer specifies is not ideal. Rotate as necessary. Unless necessary I would not change the rotational direction and simply got front to rear and vice versa. Just check the tread depth across the width of all tires regularly and rotate when necessary.

On an AWD vehicle, the tire tread depth should be roughly the same between all tires. A difference greater than 3/32 of an inch or 2.4mm or whatever the vehicle manufacturer specifies is not ideal. Rotate as necessary. Unless necessary I would not change the rotational direction and simply got front to rear and vice versa. Just check the tread depth across the width of all tires regularly and rotate when necessary.

Crossing is necessary to even out camber variation. Drive wheels go straight (same side/direction) to the non-drive axle for a period, then crossed when going back to the drive axle. Technically called forward cross/rear cross depending on the drive axle. This is best practices. Without this, the tires can be prematurely ruined - happens often.

Crossing is necessary to even out camber variation. Drive wheels go straight (same side/direction) to the non-drive axle for a period, then crossed when going back to the drive axle. Technically called forward cross/rear cross depending on the drive axle. This is best practices. Without this, the tires can be prematurely ruined - happens often.
If it's necessary it's necessary. I suppose you never use directional tires on an AWD?

Hi Everyone, and thank you in advance for your feedback.

Bottom line question: Is it important that regularly I rotate my OEM Bridgestone Ecopia (H/L 422 Plus) tires on an AWD 2023 Mazda CX-9?
Rotate them into the Craiglist / FB Market Place and get rid of them. Some of the worst rated tires out there, except maybe the wet grip of the Laufenn G FIT AS (Grand Touring All-Season 215/60R16 95H)
  • What We Liked: Surprisingly capable on the dry track, not bad on the road.
  • What We'd Improve: Wet traction is the worst we have tested.
  • Conclusion: Only a value if you don't drive in the wet.

That said rotating will maximize life of what you have. I prefer to have all my vehicles within 2/32" between front and back. I prefer to be able to cross rotate to even out any wear patterns if possible so prefer asymmetrical vs directional.

With AWD systems keeping them even is more important so electronic/mechanical issues don't arise. My FIL didn't rotate on his old CRV which had a mechanical system. He burnt up his rear differential, quite costly AND new tires needed.

Even though in TX, is snow/ice a concern? Many better tires out there that are quieter, better grip, better life. Depends on the priorities you are looking for.

Rotate your tires every 7K miles, usually around the time an oil change is due in my case. Want to have equal wear on all four tires for when time to replace. (I always DIY.) Also offers consistency in the grip at four points of contact resulting in more predictable driving and handling. Have noticed many modern tires become noisy as they wear. Good indication to examine the thread depth.

Usually pick a replacement based on reviews. Tirerack is a good resource and competitive in my experience. Get them shipped to the installer and pay for balancing and alignment as many potholes due to weather (18F now). Also load the passenger side to simulate passenger weight and sit in car for the alignment. Having them set-up for a flat road (no camber) gives me the handling I like and extends their life.

These are the tires in question.

Reading the OP question is always helpful.

If it's necessary it's necessary. I suppose you never use directional tires on an AWD?

On a Mazda CX-9, the vehicle we are talking about? No.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You claim that side to side rotation is necessary so how do you do this with directional tires.
That is all.

Krzyś

Back