Why are OEM tires so bad?

Our 2022 4Runner came with “Made in Japan” Dunlop AT’s. Supposedly they are the better tire that came on the Off-road Premium trim?

The last couple months they’ve gotten absolutely terrible.
Sumitomo Rubber and Goodyear let the Dunlop brand rot. It’s primarily a OE fitment now, but somehow their motorcycle tires are still pretty decent. Harley uses Dunlop or Michelin from the factory.

Falken is Sumitomo’s flagship brand.

SOME Dealerships may have competitive prices. The Toyota Dealer close currently by has a "buy three-get one free". But the price of the tires are marked up so much you are still better off going else where-even with the "free one".
I got a great deal on a set of Continental LX20s on my 2018 Ram last year at the Ram dealer. $763 out the door with the buy 3 get the 4th for $1. Balancing was spot on as well.

Sumitomo Rubber and Goodyear let the Dunlop brand rot. It’s primarily a OE fitment now, but somehow their motorcycle tires are still pretty decent. Harley uses Dunlop or Michelin from the factory.

Falken is Sumitomo’s flagship brand.

It's crazy think they had the best 200tw tires with the Z1/2/3 but let Falken take the cake with all its advertisements.

I religiously rotate my tires every 5k miles and check pressures. Yet, for the three vehicles I own (Tundra, RX350, Soul) and many in the past (Volvo XC60 R-Design tires were dead by 15K miles), the OEM tires do not make it past 25k or 30K miles before needing to be replaced. They wear evenly, they drive fine, and we drive mostly back country roads (not highway, not city, long winding roads with few stops). Once replaced the second set of tires easily goes +50K miles. Why are OEM tires so bad?
They aren’t bad. The problem is that mileage estimate's for tires are inherently optimistic. Rough roads (potholes), stop and go traffic, high ambient temperatures, and driving style all contribute. This is why I would never pay for tires that claim to last 60-80k miles - they never will.

So in short I share the frustration but it isn’t you, or the tires, it’s the “cute” representations about mileage.

The CONTINENTAL Pro Contact TX that were with the '18 HYUNDAI Accent may be the best of 30+ years of buying new cars . Worst tires were for BRIDGESTONE Potenza RE92 ( '08 Toyota Yaris sedan ) followed by the DUNLOP SP31 A/S ( '11 + '13 HONDA Fit base ).

The CONTINENTAL Pro Contact TX that were with the '18 HYUNDAI Accent may be the best of 30+ years of buying new cars . Worst tires were for BRIDGESTONE Potenza RE92 ( '08 Toyota Yaris sedan ) followed by the DUNLOP SP31 A/S ( '11 + '13 HONDA Fit base ).
That is the tire that came on my 2021 Honda HRV Sport AWD. It has been a good tire and may even look to replace it with the same tire. I have around 46000 on the tires and have around 5 to 6 32nds left and wearing nice and even...

Back