When did Hyundai/Kia become so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
People have short memories and have no appreciation for the driving dynamics of cars.
When one can buy an Accord or Camry for Hyudai/Kia money, only the uninformed would be shopping their local Hyundia/Kia dealer.
The warranty has little meaning given how brutal Hyundai (they also own the Kia brand) is reported to be in applying it.
When did Hyundai start pricing their products at mainstream levels?
When they figured out that they could.

Yeah, but did you vote for Goldwater or Johnson last year??

LOL
01.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
People have short memories and have no appreciation for the driving dynamics of cars.
When one can buy an Accord or Camry for Hyudai/Kia money, only the uninformed would be shopping their local Hyundia/Kia dealer.
The warranty has little meaning given how brutal Hyundai (they also own the Kia brand) is reported to be in applying it.
When did Hyundai start pricing their products at mainstream levels?
When they figured out that they could.

Yeah, but did you vote for Goldwater or Johnson last year??

LOL
01.gif

GM is just as brutal replacing top ends of their motors when the AFM lifters fail on the 5.3s.

BTW- I'll take an Optima over a Camry any day. The resale value isn't too far behind either. Must be a lot of uninformed people out there....

Last edited:
Eisenhower, actually:)
Check back after about five years of the Hyundai ownership experience.
We'll still have our '12 Accord.
Be interesting to see which of us is ROFL then.

I've had a Hyundai since 2008. Bought another in 2009. If I ever need to get another car it will be a Hyundai unless someone has a better one for the money.

Although I happily own one, I wouldn't necessarily qualify as a Hyundai "fan boy"...but I'm always taken by people who still evidently equate Hyundai with an 1987 Excel. I have a friend who has a 2007 Elantra that he's put 160K miles on with only regular maintenance including tires and brake pads. If my math is right, that's eight years and he's ready to buy another one.

The reason I bought a 2013 Accent SE as a commuter car over a Fit was that it rev'd lower at freeway speeds, had more power, got better mileage, rode noticeably better ( Honda worked on that evidently with the 2015 ) and had a 6 spd. ( which Honda didn't offer at the time ). GDI but also a Ward's Ten Best Engines Winner. It was enough of a difference that I decided to take a chance again and so far I've been very pleased. Only three years though and not five so we'll have to wait...

Id consider the sedona based upon driving dynamics now that this point has been brought up. But I will not likely get past the poor 22 or 24 mpg highway, when the odyssey returns 28 and the sienna returns 26.

How poorly those fancy seats showed wear when used at the auto show really concerned me about the sedona too. The cloth ones looked new, but the low end sedona is the same price as the low end vans from other brands, but really looks it.

People know Im no Honda fan, and Im not really keen on the looks of the current odyssey, but in our testing, it was indeed the champ.

Hey, we all like what we like for subjective reasons. There is no right or wrong here. But, Vuflanovsky's point is important when considering the ignorance some folks have regarding past and present examples of these Hyundai/Kia (or whichever other make) vehicles and their ignorant statements. 'Grain of salt.'

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id consider the sedona based upon driving dynamics now that this point has been brought up. But I will not likely get past the poor 22 or 24 mpg highway, when the odyssey returns 28 and the sienna returns 26.

How poorly those fancy seats showed wear when used at the auto show really concerned me about the sedona too. The cloth ones looked new, but the low end sedona is the same price as the low end vans from other brands, but really looks it.

People know Im no Honda fan, and Im not really keen on the looks of the current odyssey, but in our testing, it was indeed the champ.

Fair and valid points.

Originally Posted By: CKN
GM is just as brutal replacing top ends of their motors when the AFM lifters fail on the 5.3s.

BTW- I'll take an Optima over a Camry any day. The resale value isn't too far behind either. Must be a lot of uninformed people out there....

And you're one of them. The overwhelming majority of AFM motors are just like the ones in our service fleet. Not a single one with an issue, and in one of the toughest duty cycles on the planet...

My only comment would be that I tend to not base my vehicle purchases on if a particular model is a half generation behind x model. That's not really a defense of Kia as much as my own realization that a half generation behind for one buyer might be the sweet spot for another buyer based on an older configuration, particular feature(s) no longer available,etc. that, along with what they'll give for a trade, ultimately seals the deal. It's surprising how much my own experience and results consistently differ from both professional and consumer reviews and I think that can be particularly true where mini-vans, pick ups, and certain niche vehicles are concerned.

I think this post accurately makes the point that there are so many different kinds of people that a lot of different cars can be sold.

I think Hyundai/Kia has done a great job, yet we don't own one. They don't work for everyone, just a lot of folks...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

MPGs ratings do not seem to corrolate in real life based on teh comparison test listed eralier in this thread.
Could be interesting to check the real time numbers listed by users on different websites.

As for the wear of the seats, does that seem to be the same for the cloth seats as the leather seats?

I know that I sound like I try to push you to the Sedona, but that is not the case. Just trying to keep an open mind and push the others to do the same and not miss a good opportunity.

I had an Odyssey "against my will" as others, but I loved the car a lot (So sad it was my wife's car at the time :)).

Since then, my now ex-wife moved to Hyundai (Sonata and now Santa Fe), and they are nice cars too (I have the Santa Fe today as I need to move stuff around), comparable to the japanese cars quality wise in my view.

Good luck in your search: Good thing is you cannot go wrong these days, whatever you choose :)

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My only comment would be that I tend to not base my vehicle purchases on if a particular model is a half generation behind x model. That's not really a defense of Kia as much as my own realization that a half generation behind for one buyer might be the sweet spot for another buyer based on an older configuration, particular feature(s) no longer available,etc. that, along with what they'll give for a trade, ultimately seals the deal. It's surprising how much my own experience and results consistently differ from both professional and consumer reviews and I think that can be particularly true where mini-vans, pick ups, and certain niche vehicles are concerned.

I think this post accurately makes the point that there are so many different kinds of people that a lot of different cars can be sold.

I think Hyundai/Kia has done a great job, yet we don't own one. They don't work for everyone, just a lot of folks...

I think everyone is missing my point when it comes to the half-gen behind point. My issue is that it is a NEW model. The last Sedona was not updated for a LONG time. Its not that it came out a few years ago, have all the bugs worked out, and the other vendors have since updated. Its that this is a NEW model, as pricey as the others, but yet the van doesn't feel that great to us.

We didn't go in with any preconceived notions regarding Kia - I figured it would be as nice as the suv made in the West Point GA plant (and that it would be made there). The sonata and other "hyunkia" cars are obviously winners. I went in thinking that I want a T&C (note other posts on that), and that the sienna would have the best chance at changing my mind. In the end, the sienna really didn't impress (though I loved our previa and had Sandy not destroyed it, Id likely not be in the market at all, driving a 20 year old, 250k+ van), and the odyssey we both liked the best.

I got stuck in the third row of the sienna. The floor and roof heights of the Sedona are funky. The MPGs are lousy in EPA ratings, and I already made my mention about the seats (of which the cloth wore fine compared to the leather but looked really cheap).

For a "next gen" van, Id have expected a bit better convenience in use of the Sedona, and 30 MPGs hwy. Ill bet that the 16 sienna and odyssey do... We went through all the vans with our two year old in tow, climbing all in and out, flipping every seat every which way, measuring for infant buckets and car seats.

For the money, Sedona didn't win. Simple as that. Frankly Im surprised at the comments in the MT review. Having driven six T&C vans in the last three months, with mileage ranging from 4 to 40k miles, all were quiet and rattle free, very functional, and good to drive with one to six riders and luggage.

Ody and T&C for me right now...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
As I posted above, get back to us in five years or so and let us know how pleased you remain with your two Hyundais.
Ignorance is a lack of knowledge.
Time and fleet miles will relieve any ignorance anyone might have about the Hyundai marque.
You may well be right and the current cars may really be up to the durability and reliability standards of more established makes.
They still lack the mechanical and chassis refinement of a Honda or Toyota, but that may come next.

8 years 113k on one Hyundai, 5.5 years 63k on the other .... ... Chassis is sold as a rock still..... ... ... Mechanicals are still holding together.... .... .... That is all... .... .... .....

The sticker on my '14 rav4 was 28 grand.

Pretty much a stripped model less a roof rack.

You can dress the thing up and spend a lot more, but I really didn't see the need for it.

As I posted above, get back to us in five years or so and let us know how pleased you remain with your two Hyundais.
Ignorance is a lack of knowledge.
Time and fleet miles will relieve any ignorance anyone might have about the Hyundai marque.
You may well be right and the current cars may really be up to the durability and reliability standards of more established makes.
They still lack the mechanical and chassis refinement of a Honda or Toyota, but that may come next.

I disagree but that's one reason why we are here...banter.

Last edited:
Check back somewhere north of 200K.
That's what I've driven our longest-lived Hondas for and the one that I sold at fifteen years and 207K is still goin' strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back