What oil spec is considered to be the best/strongest if price was all the same?

Well, I have to say, I would certainly make a strong argument here. When it comes to this type of valve, I'd confidently bet my lucky horseshoe that we'll need some good ol' German formulations and approvals! Imagine this: a polymer as tight as a drum, with a dash of heavy Zinc-70 (yes, that's the isotope stuff!)-DDP, and the real secret sauce—Unobtainium zirconate mixed with tris(2,4,6-trimethoxyphenyl)VOLKSWonium!
If an oil lacks these components, it won't receive the coveted approval from Fritz Kreitmann for this particular valve application.
Unobtanium Glyconate gives better lab results for high performance European engines such as Citroen, Skoda, and Fiat. It tends to bond isotopes of clamydium dichloride with the Glyconate molecules.

o_O:oops:

Personally, I've started to use Castrol in my Camry because they tend to have both American and Euro approvals. The black edge bottle is both Dexos and ACEA

ive seen vw508 been mentioned a bunch, is that a tighter spec that usually requires a better base oil too?

ive seen vw508 been mentioned a bunch, is that a tighter spec that usually requires a better base oil too?
It's a specification for VW Xw20 oils. Nobody really knows how it compares to say BMW (LL17FE) or Mercedes (229.71) which are both Xw-20. European automakers/ACEA sort their certs by HTHS, which roughly correlates with weight, and by SAPS.

So roughly speaking with regards to VW lowSAPS oils it looks like this:
508.00 Xw20
504.00 Xw30
511.00 Xw40.

Last edited:
Given that VW gets caught lying about emissions, are VW specs really that good?
Only when profits and sales aren't involved would be my guess.
The requirements for 504 approval, with all its radioactive RNT analyses (now that's something, huh?), seem to be accessible to the public, perhaps in the Afton book or something similar. It's interesting to note that 504 is known for its rather absurd requirements.
On a related note, I'm quite curious if the 508 requirements can be found on a public site or are available on the internet. I don't recall coming across them in any published sources (although, I could be mistaken).

My 4banger Camrys are easy on oil. I follow a 5kmile OCI. I use a dexos 0W20. No particular brand, OEM filter. I want clean rings and variable valve timing stuff. That is my reasoning for the short OCI. I add the drain oil to my 275 gallon heating oil tank. :cool:

hey! after reading the forum for the bit and oil company replies it seems that for a normal OCI, oil does not matter and all the brands will be a negligible difference,

However I wanted to find out for example a 5w20, what oil spec is considered to be the best/strongest spec? because for example
if i can get every oil spec for $30 for a 5 quart, then might as well pick the best spec oil.

I mean best spec as the most stouty/better quality oil for i guess 'lubrication/breakdown' other sake?

Furthermore, are euro oils stronger/better then NA counterparts? or once again a specific spec is better such as Dexos, MB 229.5, BMW LL04, VW vs other specs that are out there?

thanks!

anything with Porsche A40 or MB 229.5 helps me sleep at night.

if off the shelf is what you want, go with the SP rated MOBIL 1 EURO FS 0W-40

Reactions: wlk
Back