What oil spec is considered to be the best/strongest if price was all the same?

hey! after reading the forum for the bit and oil company replies it seems that for a normal OCI, oil does not matter and all the brands will be a negligible difference,

However I wanted to find out for example a 5w20, what oil spec is considered to be the best/strongest spec? because for example
if i can get every oil spec for $30 for a 5 quart, then might as well pick the best spec oil.

I mean best spec as the most stouty/better quality oil for i guess 'lubrication/breakdown' other sake?

Furthermore, are euro oils stronger/better then NA counterparts? or once again a specific spec is better such as Dexos, MB 229.5, BMW LL04, VW vs other specs that are out there?

thanks!

it would depend on the vehicle.

Many of the specs are overlapping.

IF you had a tgdi engine with 150hp per liter different specs might be relevant than if you had a 460CI engine in your motorhome towing a trailer.
if you had particulate filter etc might have certain requirements such as low SA.

So basically I'm telling you your question is too generic and general.. to have a good answer that fits most.

Also how much do you want to pay.
There might be a best oil for a toyota corolla.. but who needs that 15$ a quart oil for that.
Now your tracked golf GTI it might be something you would want to spend $$$ on.

it would depend on the vehicle.

Many of the specs are overlapping.

IF you had a tgdi engine with 150hp per liter different specs might be relevant than if you had a 460CI engine in your motorhome towing a trailer.
if you had particulate filter etc might have certain requirements such as low SA.

So basically I'm telling you your question is too generic and general.. to have a good answer that fits most.

Also how much do you want to pay.
There might be a best oil for a toyota corolla.. but who needs that 15$ a quart oil for that.
Now your tracked golf GTI it might be something you would want to spend $$$ on.
ahh gotcha is there a way for me to reword my question to find out what spec is the most stouty/strict?

And 50200/50500 is great too. Most of the newer specs are chasing fuel economy and catalyst-compatible oils for European diesel engines.

And... the only reason to care about 20W oils is to chase fuel economy advantages that amount to less than 1% differences in your actual fuel economy. Something like QS 5W-40, which is almost a 30W oil at temp, has a robust additive package, GTL base oil, makes a lot of sense for almost any gasoline-powered passenger vehicle. It has relatively low calcium levels too so it should be safe on vehicles prone to LSPI issues. All for $23 per 5Qt container.

Last edited:
It's essentially impossible to know because there isn't enough information to make a valid comparison between specifications of various automakers. We know some tests but not all. What we do know is that the current revision of a particular cert is going to be the best.

Ex: API SP > SN+ > SN.

It's essentially impossible to know because there isn't enough information to make a valid comparison between specifications of various automakers. We know some tests but not all. What we do know is that the current revision of a particular cert is going to be the best.

Ex: API SP > SN+ > SN.

Try finding API SP oil that is "Best" for BMW S54, S65 and S85 engines.
They call for 5w50 and 10w60 :p

hey! after reading the forum for the bit and oil company replies it seems that for a normal OCI, oil does not matter and all the brands will be a negligible difference,

However I wanted to find out for example a 5w20, what oil spec is considered to be the best/strongest spec? because for example
if i can get every oil spec for $30 for a 5 quart, then might as well pick the best spec oil.

I mean best spec as the most stouty/better quality oil for i guess 'lubrication/breakdown' other sake?

Furthermore, are euro oils stronger/better then NA counterparts? or once again a specific spec is better such as Dexos, MB 229.5, BMW LL04, VW vs other specs that are out there?

thanks!

a rather fascinating topic! It appears to me that our European friends might be deprived from some truly exceptional oils. You see, it's not as simple for them to find the finest true American or Japanese oils (such as the esteemed ILSAC types) in their average EU local stores.

If we were to consider the overall picture, just by venturing into a sizable supermarket and perusing the PCMO section (I'm not about exclusive boutique oils), I believe we would discover that, on average, the most exceptional oils in the world have American or Japanese formulations/design, like the esteemed ILSAC types. Japan, in particular, has quite a few great labels to explore, including their unique local adaptations of Sunoco ( https://www.sunoco.co.jp/product/automotive_lube/lineup/qualia/?lang=en )

Now, I must confess that I find the 229.5 requirements a touch excessive. They appear to demand an abundance of heavy ash and thickening agents/excessive viscosity in average formulations. European formulators seem adamant about seeking a more shear-stable (lower SSI) polymer, necessitating a greater quantity of said polymer, often in conjunction with base oils that boast reduced solvent capacity. Furthermore, their preference for heightened dispersant levels becomes evident upon observing the 1706 peak on the FT-IR spectra. (In the fresh oil sample the absorption peak centred at 1706 cm^-1 is attributed to imide functionality in the fresh oil present in the dispersant additive package)

These European requirements, while aiming for excessiveness, can indeed overdo complexity. Striving for perfection in one area may inadvertently lead to complications in another.

Curiously enough, there exist a few rare Chinese oil varieties that manage to meet both European (VW erwin list, for instance) and ILSAC standards.
And by examining the Infineum P6800 package site, one can discern industry aspirations for enhanced versatility in the future.

For the time being, however, I find myself particularly drawn to the allure of the average true American PCMOs. They exude a certain charm, exhibit superior performance.

I must admit that I am not particularly fond of the peculiar European emphasis on excessive polymer shear stability. SSI cannot overlook the e.g. ASTM D7097 challenges. Achieving shear stability with identical formulations requires a higher polymer content of the same type. And let us not forget their penchant for excessive dispersants, juxtaposed with a somewhat lesser emphasis on foam control.

While I hold my own perspective, I encourage open-mindedness here :)

Last edited:
a rather fascinating topic! It appears to me that our European friends might be deprived from some truly exceptional oils. You see, it's not as simple for them to find the finest true American or Japanese oils (such as the esteemed ILSAC types) in their average EU local stores.

If we were to consider the overall picture, just by venturing into a sizable supermarket and perusing the PCMO section (I'm not about exclusive boutique oils), I believe we would discover that, on average, the most exceptional oils in the world have American or Japanese formulations/design, like the esteemed ILSAC types. Japan, in particular, has quite a few great labels to explore, including their unique local adaptations of Sunoco ( https://www.sunoco.co.jp/product/automotive_lube/lineup/qualia/?lang=en )

Now, I must confess that I find the 229.5 requirements a touch excessive. They appear to demand an abundance of heavy ash and thickening agents/excessive viscosity in average formulations. European formulators seem adamant about seeking a more shear-stable (lower SSI) polymer, necessitating a greater quantity of said polymer, often in conjunction with base oils that boast reduced solvent capacity. Furthermore, their preference for heightened dispersant levels becomes evident upon observing the 1706 peak on the FT-IR spectra. (In the fresh oil sample the absorption peak centred at 1706 cm^-1 is attributed to imide functionality in the fresh oil present in the dispersant additive package)

These European requirements, while aiming for excessiveness, can indeed overdo complexity. Striving for perfection in one area may inadvertently lead to complications in another.

Curiously enough, there exist a few rare Chinese oil varieties that manage to meet both European (VW erwin list, for instance) and ILSAC standards.
And by examining the Infineum P6800 package site, one can discern industry aspirations for enhanced versatility in the future.

For the time being, however, I find myself particularly drawn to the allure of the average true American PCMOs. They exude a certain charm, exhibit superior performance.

I must admit that I am not particularly fond of the peculiar European emphasis on excessive polymer shear stability. SSI cannot overlook the e.g. ASTM D7097 challenges. Achieving shear stability with identical formulations requires a higher polymer content of the same type. And let us not forget their penchant for excessive dispersants, juxtaposed with a somewhat lesser emphasis on foam control.

The American oils are exceptional at keeping the Veeblefetzer valves clean and operational.

Are you using some sort of AI translations for your posts?

The American oils are exceptional at keeping the Veeblefetzer valves clean and operational.

Well, I have to say, I would certainly make a strong argument here. When it comes to this type of valve, I'd confidently bet my lucky horseshoe that we'll need some good ol' German formulations and approvals! Imagine this: a polymer as tight as a drum, with a dash of heavy Zinc-70 (yes, that's the isotope stuff!)-DDP, and the real secret sauce—Unobtainium zirconate mixed with tris(2,4,6-trimethoxyphenyl)VOLKSWonium!
If an oil lacks these components, it won't receive the coveted approval from Fritz Kreitmann for this particular valve application.

Back