2024 Buick Envista: Best oil for GM 1.2 LIH and Continental Belt In Oil compatibility.

So my mother is due to take delivery of a new 2024 Buick Envista. This has the 1.2 TGDI 3 cylinder, RPO LIH. Now I know these have been around a while in the Trailblazer and possibly even longer in the Opel Astra in Europe, and I have yet to hear of any particular issues with it.

Obviously being a TGDI, and a small one at that, LSPI and IVD are concerns. Dexos 1 Gen 3 should take care of the LSPI at least. And it doesn't look too hard to clean the intake valves anyway, the intake is so small.

What is more concerning is the wet timing belt. It is made by Continental. So far the wet belts I have seen with issues were made by Dayco. For example the PSA Puretech 1.2 that is also used in Opels in Europe, making it confusing to figure out if reports of issues are all from that engine or some from this engine as well. From what I have been able to determine, none of the reports are from the LIH engine, all are from the Puretech.

So, the question is, what oil is the absolute best 0W-30 or 5W-30 Dexos 1 Gen 3 oil to use in this car. Cost is not important. This car will be used for at least 90% highway driving, distances of 250mi/day 3 days a week, and distance of 50mi 2 days a week. She is planning on keeping this car as long as possible. She put 400,000 miles on her previous car, a 2013 Sportwagen TDI, and still has it.

2nd question is what is the best type of oil with regards to wet belt compatibility. Continental lists the material as being ACN-HNBR with glass fiber reinforcement. I know fuel dilution is not good, but I doubt there will be much with those kinds of distances. I would like to stick to something better than a group III, if possible. This engine makes around 115HP/L, almost into Corvette ZO6 territory.

Is Ravenol DXG still the best Dexos oil money can buy? How does Mobil 1 Extended Performance compare? Are there others that are mostly group IV/V? Does the Dexos spec include belt compatibility now or do I need to be paying closer attention to oil chemistry? For the filter I think I have already decided on a Fram FE12060, at least for this oil change. OEM is a PF64, but synthetic media is preferred. The 12060 filters have the correct bypass spec for replacing a PF64, so I am not worried.

Do you want an approved/certified oil or are you open to boutique brands?

If you want an approved oil I would go with Mobil 1 Triple Action 5w30.

If you want a boutique oil I would opt for Amsoil/HPL 5w30.

I'm thinking that if the belt required anything special, GM would take that into consideration when making their specifications. I think it's more a matter of the belt itself being engineered to run in the current commonly available oils. Does the manual specify anything beyond the current Dexos spec?

Do you want an approved/certified oil or are you open to boutique brands?

If you want an approved oil I would go with Mobil 1 Triple Action 5w30.

If you want a boutique oil I would opt for Amsoil/HPL 5w30.
Approved because she wants to stay within warranty requirements. Only requirement is Dexos 1 Gen 3, 5w-30 or 0w-30. Once warranty is over, I will recommend HPL, but until then we want to stay within the Dexos 1 Gen 3 category. However, whether the oil is easy to find or needs to be special ordered is not particularly important, which is why I was curious whether there were any middle ground oils, or let's say boutique oils with factory approval. A few years ago Ravenol DXG was very highly thought of for it's 80% PAO content. The newest version is Dexos 1 Gen 3, so in theory it should meet the requirements for this engine. But I haven't heard anything about the Gen 3 version of that oil, good or bad. Mobil 1 Triple Action I have not heard of yet, I will have to check that out.

I probably wouldnt add any additives.. other than that use whatever oil meets those specs.

Cant say another Made in China buick thrills me though.

I'm thinking that if the belt required anything special, GM would take that into consideration when making their specifications. I think it's more a matter of the belt itself being engineered to run in the current commonly available oils. Does the manual specify anything beyond the current Dexos spec?
Nope, just Dexos 1 Gen 3 and 5W30, or 0W-30 in cold climates. Big warning about not using 0w-20 because it might damage the engine. But besides that, nothing. That's why I was thinking the new Dexos spec probably includes a compatibility test. Being a Continental belt, not another manufacturer, I am not too worried as their oil pump belts for example have been solid in other engines, but being as this one is nearly brand new here in the US, I have yet to hear much about it.

I probably wouldnt add any additives.. other than that use whatever oil meets those specs.

Cant say another Made in China buick thrills me though.
This one is made in Korea at least, not China. I did check out the window sticker because I was curious as well. Engine is made in Mexico.

This one is made in Korea at least, not China. I did check out the window sticker because I was curious as well. Engine is made in Mexico.
OOPS, internet failure
Made in "China by SAIC-GM" is what my link said but another link
The Envista is manufactured in Changwon, South Korea by GM Korea and in China by SAIC-GM

No problem with them making it in China for the Chinese market.

When you get it and drive it, please provide a review of the 1.2L engine. I am not sure I am ready to pay big money for a car w/ 3 cylinders.

I like the look of the new Envista .
I just don't see 400000k in the future of a 1.2 turbo , keep us posted on how it goes !
i'm curious to see how reliable they are,
I didn't necessarily expect that on the original engine. Replacement engine price was also a factor. They can be had for around $800-1500 with low mileage. I would really consider one for a swap into a light RWD GM car like a Chevette or Vega if someone made a transmission adapter. Link makes a GDI standalone ECU now, and these engines in Europe can be had with manual transmissions, so flywheels and clutches are available, but so far all manual transmission options are FWD. Bellhousing pattern is shared with the 1.3 L3T, 2.0 LSY, and 2.7 L3B. But also I see no reason it couldn't make 400,000 miles if well taken care of. It's built like a tank, and that's part of the reason I recommended it. The pistons are like none I have seen before, they have so much reinforcing. The skirt is narrower than the crown and the edges have webbing like a steel diesel piston. They have cooling channels for oil. The wrist pins are DLC coated. This engine is technically in the same family as the 2.7 Silverado engine. The blocks are cast using the same technology. Iron cylinders cast into an aluminum block. Both engines have a full bed plate. The 1.2 even has a metal oil pan which I was extremely happy about. The turbo I don't expect to last any long period of time but it is just a regular turbo, not VGT, not integrated into the manifold, head, or cat, and the cat is attached with a V-band. Water pump is just bolted right to the side of the block. Thermostat is on the water pump. I could replace it without taking much apart at all. The injectors are in the middle next to the coils, with a rail going across the top. Valve cover looks like I could have it off in 5 minutes tops, and that allows for easy inspection of the timing belt. I just liked the way it was set up, especially in comparison to the 1.3 in the Encore GX/Trailblazer. It's extremely simple for a modern engine, what I have seen of the internal parts suggest they are very well manufactured with advanced materials and technology, and there is a ton of space around it. Even pulling the engine doesn't look like it would take more than a couple hours. There is at least 8-10 inches of space between the front of the engine and the wheel well, which makes sense considering the same car in the Chinese market comes with a 1.5T which is a considerably larger engine. The car is not really that heavy either. Basically 3000lb even. Compared to the Trailblazer at over 4000 with the same engine, this one seems not under as much stress. My only complaint so far is that I wish it was available with a 6 speed manual or in a hatchback or both. But for my mom, she liked the car, she likes the interior, she likes the way it drives, and the price was reasonable.

Also looking at power to displacement, the 1.2l and 2.7l are exactly the same, 114.8HP/L. As opposed to the 1.3 L3T and some of the 2.0 LSY, which are at 120HP/L or higher. If it's tuned for similar power output to the truck engine, that seems pretty conservative to me given how much those trucks are rated to tow. Peak torque is also relatively high at 2500 RPM so in the brief test drive I took, the transmission would hold the RPMs at at least 2500, usually around 3000. So it isn't being lugged at all. It's very smooth, it's not buzzy like a 4 cylinder at all, it does seem to rock back and forth a bit at low RPM (or at least that is what I think is happening, I haven't put a camera under the hood yet) , but the engine doesn't spend much time there and that is fairly typical for a 3 cylinder. The sound is much better than a 4 cylinder. It sounds almost like a low RPM inline 6 or V6. The most similar sound I can think of is a Ferrari Dino V6 or Alfa Busso, but running at only 2500 RPM or so, while the 1.2 is at 5000. I think GM did a good job with tuning this one and matching the car to the engine. The Trailblazer with the CVT and weighing over 1000lb more, not so much. Turbo is a Borg Warner, not sure what size, but with an electronic wastegate. Intake manifold is the shortest I have seen. It's basically a tube with 3 straight 2 inch long runners. I will get some pictures of the engine and the rest of the car when it is delivered. They are waiting on Certificate of Origin to arrive.

Fram or delco filter would be my choice preferably delco if warranty concerns you. 0 and 5w30 is essentially the same thing if you’re in sub zero temps the 0w30 may be a better choice. What does the service manual suggest?

I'm not convinced GM can build a turbo engine that lasts. I know they can build great engines. 3800 series V6 from a few years back. The idea of a highly stressed 1.2L turbo engine in a car that should have a larger displacement 4 or 6cyl engine makes me SMH. GDI on top of it also. Who knows...? Maybe... I'm just going by the past history of family and friends that have had GM turbos. (Buddy's Cruze was in the shop three times for engine problems. (Turbo).

I like the Buick... just wish they would stop being so schizo and stick with a tried & true engine design.

I wouldn't over think this, the nice thing about the Dexos spec is that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of things. I'd use whatever Dexos approved oil you want, but would consider shortening the OCI if the OLM seems to be taking the intervals out longer than you're comfortable with.

Back