What is your "under the mattress" firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm last summer from my daughters B.F. Got the lightly used (very lightly) 4 yr old gun, 100 rounds, a soft case, and 2 unused holsters for $300. I think that was a great deal! Anyway.....
A couple weeks ago, I heard some noise in the wee hours while lying awake, and it got me thinking. I have that 9mm under the mattress, and I have taken it out and shot it a few times, but, in the dark, in a stressful situation, I'm not sure that I could find the right button to chamber a round, and get the safety off in a timely manner. So, I got the old Ruger single six in 22 mag and put it in the 9mm place. With the Ruger, all I gotta do is, pull it out of the holster, pull the hammer back and POW!!! If needed. :cool:

I agree with you that a revolver is a better choice for the bedroom, however I think that a DA would be a better choice than single. In a stressful situation it is easy to short cock the hammer, it happens all the time in Cowboy action shooting and everyone there is completely awake. Semiautos make good self defense guns but in situations where there is loose fabric, unknown angles and positions and even a slight chance of jams when you are in the dark and half asleep they are not ideal. But the gap flash from revolvers is an issue that you need to take into account, muzzle flash is bad but gap flash can really blind you.

I got the old Ruger single six in 22 mag and put it in the 9mm place. With the Ruger, all I gotta do is, pull it out of the holster, pull the hammer back and POW!!! If needed. :cool:
Have one of those and the .44 mag version
Also have a .410 in the closet … no kids …

No kids. Mine is in the bedstand. Normal ol glock or Sig
I think that a DA would be a better choice than single. In a stressful situation it is easy to short cock the hammer,
Its all a function of what you train with.

Not legal in Canada unfortunately, but I can get into the gun safe REALLY fast if the need ever arose.

Ruger P-90 DC. It has no safety. It functions as a double action revolver on first trigger pull. It stays in my bedside drawer.

Not legal to have a pistol or to have it under the mattress?
Pistols have to be stored more securely than non-restricted (long) guns. It's not really practical to depend on them for short-notice protection. They have to be unloaded, trigger or action locked, locked in a case, and in a secure room. Plus the ammo has to be stored separately. The only reason to legally possess a pistol in Canada is for target shooting.

Not legal to have a pistol or to have it under the mattress?

To have it under a mattress. Handguns have even more strict storage requirements, so it would need to be in a secure storage safe inside my primary safe, which is just nuts, and you can't discharge them anywhere that isn't a range.

I can have a rifle or shotgun with a mag sitting beside it "ready to go" in the primary safe however.

I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm last summer from my daughters B.F. Got the lightly used (very lightly) 4 yr old gun, 100 rounds, a soft case, and 2 unused holsters for $300. I think that was a great deal! Anyway.....
A couple weeks ago, I heard some noise in the wee hours while lying awake, and it got me thinking. I have that 9mm under the mattress, and I have taken it out and shot it a few times, but, in the dark, in a stressful situation, I'm not sure that I could find the right button to chamber a round, and get the safety off in a timely manner. So, I got the old Ruger single six in 22 mag and put it in the 9mm place. With the Ruger, all I gotta do is, pull it out of the holster, pull the hammer back and POW!!! If needed. :cool:
I have a Colt Frontier. The 22LR cylinder is missing so it has the alternate mag. It would do just fine in the dark when awakened.

Of all the what if's, or possible emergencies, the pistol in the night stand or under the mattress is one of the least likely to be used. 65 years and its never been something I've even remotely needed.

After saying that, I do have a few pistols around. And they're all revolvers because since they never get used, simple is good.

A flashlight with good batteries has been far more important. A fresh roll of TP in the bathroom might be at the top of the list.

You can't modify the barrel length, but if it's short from the manufacturer it's ok. One example:

S&W 5496.......not under the mattress, but contained in a Speed Vault SV500.
For more serious intrusions, I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport ll stowed in my bedroom closet gun vault.
Thank God, never had to use but comforting to know they are there if needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back