Eyeballing a Ruger Security. 380

Still have my P85. Never had a FTF,FTE or any other failure with thousands of rounds through it. Not a lightweight gun...I could probably frame a deck with it and it'd still shoot fine.
But to say Ruger never made decent pistols...Zero credibility.
Was it the 85 or 90 Series that was just plain ugly? I can't recall but I never seen anyone unhappy with a polymer Ruger minus the SR9 ,40 and 45 which required moving a piece on the frame up or down to get it to reassemble. I loved their ultralight 9 1911 and the SR1911 45 but I have sense moved on and so has the price. Bought both for around 1600.00 and the SR1911 45 MSRP is creeping to a grand by itself 😂

Was it the 85 or 90 Series that was just plain ugly? I can't recall but I never seen anyone unhappy with a polymer Ruger minus the SR9 ,40 and 45 which required moving a piece on the frame up or down to get it to reassemble. I loved their ultralight 9 1911 and the SR1911 45 but I have sense moved on and so has the price. Bought both for around 1600.00 and the SR1911 45 MSRP is creeping to a grand by itself 😂
Mine is the 85. It's not a beauty contest winner... it's a duty sidearm and was originally designed by Ruger to score the US Govt. contract to replace the 1911. Obviously Beretta won out. Ugly is a bit strong...maybe boxy??

Too small of package and the recoil was stout as a result. It didn’t help that I could really only get two fingers on the grip (not including trigger finger) and my pinky was below the grip.
Ruger has a 7 round mag it’ll give a little more real estate for gripping. But yes the lcp max or security are better alternatives they just weren’t around when I purchased my lcp ll

Mine is the 85. It's not a beauty contest winner... it's a duty sidearm and was originally designed by Ruger to score the US Govt. contract to replace the 1911. Obviously Beretta won out. Ugly is a bit strong...maybe boxy??
Nah - it’s ugly. Straight up. But it’s undeniably reliable. That makes it great, and a gun I would be happy to own (again).

Nah - it’s ugly. Straight up. But it’s undeniably reliable. That makes it great, and a gun I would be happy to own (again).
Hey now. She wasn't that bad! My one that got away was my P89X - I got really hard up for cash when my first child came along and sold it for a song. That was also my first NIB gun. My P85 was bought very used and I ran countless amounts of surplus Paki ammo though it between '92-'93

I think you could have run +p++++++++++++++ ammo through any of them safely. There was enough metal in the 85's and 89's to build a howitzer.

I own a Ruger Security 380 . What’s not to like ?? Decent size . Small enough to conceal. Large enough to shoot accurately.
Light rack . Adjustable sights . Fiber optic front sight. Low profile thumb safety. Works well once your get use to it . 15 round capacity. Nice looking ( subjective) for all the gun snobs out there . Price very well not every one can afford the Berreta Cheetah. I love how everyone has better opinion but probably never has spent time with one .

Or for the same price you could snatch 2-3 of these (mouse) bad boys, and stick them in different pockets.
1000017907.jpg

Just kidding 😂. I love Ruger, but will stay in 9MM with their lineup. My P94 still going strong.

I was a state cop. I'll carry a .380. What's your point?
I’ll carry. Is that the same as it’s your duty weapon and you would trust your life to it. Even with modern ammo my LRO would be a 38 spc minimum.Still have a .380 star astra but opt for a 9 mm.

Or for the same price you could snatch 2-3 of these (mouse) bad boys, and stick them in different pockets.
View attachment 210730
Just kidding 😂. I love Ruger, but will stay in 9MM with their lineup. My P94 still going strong.
Can’t explain why but the wifey wanted a max9 after trying everything at the gun store.So far so good but I wouldn’t say it’s the best out there now,but to her ease in racking a round was her focus.The SD ammo today is incredible.

I was a state cop. I'll carry a .380. What's your point?
Have the NJ SP firearms acquisition department tested your choice and certified it as a duty firearm? If not, don't spout off about it being ultra-reliable. Carry what you wish, but your former career has no influence upon your selection of this firearm that hasn't been put through a military torture test and received due certification for combat. The P Series are not the Ruger pistols of today. You're comparing apples to oranges there Cropduster. Absolutely nothing in common reliability wise between those two designs.

Have the NJ SP firearms acquisition department tested your choice and certified it as a duty firearm? If not, don't spout off about it being ultra-reliable. Carry what you wish, but your former career has no influence upon your selection of this firearm that hasn't been put through a military torture test and received due certification for combat. The P Series are not the Ruger pistols of today. You're comparing apples to oranges there Cropduster. Absolutely nothing in common reliability wise between those two
Whatever you say. Best to calm down a click.

Last edited:
I favor .38 Special, 9mm and to a more limited extent, .380 ACP for carry purposes. Unfortunately for me, the only .380 I have is a garbage Bersa Thunder which was a lemon out of the gate and two trips to different gunsmiths failed to fix it. Junk...probably $125 trade value if the LGS guy is in a good mood.
I've researched several. 380s available. Some interesting choices.
The Girsan with the tip up barrel is interesting but gets pricey(for me). The Glock would be a consideration as I've never owned nor shot a Glock...but 7 rounds?? Nah...The S&W choices are ok...Bodyguard is too small...same with the LCP. BUT...the Ruger Security .380 seems to check most, if not all the boxes for size and capacity and probably comes in at about $330 all in.
Who owns one? Thoughts?
Take a look a the Ruger LCP Max 380. Mine has been reliable, carried in OWB, hardly know its there.

Back