What handgun for a newbie/novice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Boresnakes work pretty well to keep the bore and chamber clean between full teardowns.

Nice Ruger.

I agree with American Rifleman, bore snakes and seldom cleaning a .22 (at least the bore) most of mine shoot WORSE after cleaning for 10-15 rounds.

My experience with "golden bullets" is that they are not very consistent. The box I had ALL of the bullets were lose and they would not even reliably feed in a bolt action rifle. I gave them away at the range after about 50 rounds of frustration.

If not you LGS i recommend Brownells and MidwayUSA for firearms related purchases.

OP Update: I was finally able to take my new Mark III to the range today and put about 200 rounds through it. While I'm a novice and new to firearms, it felt good and I'm definitely satisfied with my purchase. What fun!

Despite the warnings about Remington Golden Bullets, that's what I picked up. (Gander Mountain matched the local sporting goods store's "2 for $32" deal and is also running a $5/box rebate, so it was too cheap to pass on.) Of the 200 rounds, I experienced one FTE.

What do you guys recommend I do now in terms of cleaning?

Nothing. If you want to take a little cleaner on a q-tip and swab around the guide rod (inside the ejection port round rod on top) and just clean out some gunk. Then take another q-tip with a little oil and apply it on the rod.

That is all I'd do.

Good to hear you are having fun!

Be safe, Bill

If this pistol is your defense gun, IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion), clean it thoroughly after each use. the .22 rimfire is far more likely to have mechanical problems if there is much firing residue (dirt), than a more powerful cartridge. If it's a fun gun, I'd do as Bill says. I clean mine because I first learned how to shoot in the Army, and we kept everything clean and ready. Of course, we knew that the Group of Soviet Forces Europe was only 2km. away. One would expect to give the "warmest" possible welcome to visitors, wouldn't one?

Nice choice barlowc ... I've got the same Ruger bull barrel in stainless, but it's the older MKII model. Fully adjustable rear sight and nice Houge grips. Love shooting this pistol and super accurate and never jams or fails to operate, even when dirty.

I would suggest the Glock 23/32 either one. Buy a replacement G19 barrel and shoot 9mm for practice and carry either the 40 or 357 for (CCW)self defense/home use.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Despite the warnings about Remington Golden Bullets, that's what I picked up. (Gander Mountain matched the local sporting goods store's "2 for $32" deal and is also running a $5/box rebate, so it was too cheap to pass on.) Of the 200 rounds, I experienced one FTE.

OP Update: I've now gone through 700 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets and have only had 2 FTEs. So while it may not be the best ammo, my Ruger seems to eat it up just fine and when I'm able to get it for $17-$18 for a box of 525 (i.e. which breaks down to about 3.33 cents/round) it's hard to pass on. With that said, given that I've new to all of this, I'll probably try some other ammo so that I can learn and see for myself what everyone is talking about.

Having fun... being safe!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc

OP Update: I've now gone through 700 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets and have only had 2 FTEs. So while it may not be the best ammo, my Ruger seems to eat it up just fine and when I'm able to get it for $17-$18 for a box of 525 (i.e. which breaks down to about 3.33 cents/round) it's hard to pass on. With that said, given that I've new to all of this, I'll probably try some other ammo so that I can learn and see for myself what everyone is talking about.

Having fun... being safe!
thumbsup2.gif

Wow EXCELLENT service from Rem Golden Bullets. I'd have to say the last 10 boxes I had (525 bulk) I had easy in ANY weapon I tried them in a dud every 10 rounds. Even in my Single Six which will fire anything (has a serious primer strike) they would not go.

Since you are getting them to work for you no problem with using them. I stay away ONLY due to the high non-fire rate. Yes they are slightly more dirty but not enough to NOT use them.

Best is what works in your weapon. They work so they are the best! (You will not notice anything "better" with more expensive ammo when using the ammo for plinking)

Take care and be safe! Bill

After reading through this whole thread, I'm surprised the OP was steered toward a .22 cal handgun. The 9mm is really the accepted entry point for SD pistols, There are many excellent options on the market and ammo is still cheap at $200/1000. With something like a Glock 26 or 19, he would have a pistol that is good for learning, but also good for service beyond range practice. No one should be intimidated into starting below 9mm (not saying he was) but now, he's going to have to buy a second pistol if he wants anything worthwhile for self-defense or concealed carry.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
After reading through this whole thread, I'm surprised the OP was steered toward a .22 cal handgun. The 9mm is really the accepted entry point for SD pistols, There are many excellent options on the market and ammo is still cheap at $200/1000. With something like a Glock 26 or 19, he would have a pistol that is good for learning, but also good for service beyond range practice. No one should be intimidated into starting below 9mm (not saying he was) but now, he's going to have to buy a second pistol if he wants anything worthwhile for self-defense or concealed carry.

He stated that his sole purpose for the handgun was to go target shooting. So he did not want a carry/defense gun. And a 22lr is a cheap and fun target gun to buy and to use. Plus it will teach him the fundamentals if he decides to get a defense gun later on. Personally I would have gotten a 9mm that had a 22lr kit available for it and killed two birds with one stone. But hey, he seems happy with his purchase so good for him.

OP here. As Robenstein pointed out, I'm very happy with my Ruger Mark III purchase. It fits my current and intended use, target shooting, perfectly. While $200 for 1000 rounds of 9mm may be considered cheap to Indydriver, I guess it's all relative. I'm buying my .22 LR ammo much, much cheaper than that. As a result, there are very little cost considerations when I want to go to the range and how often. IF I ever decided that I need/want something more, I'll purchase something that fits that use. Maybe someday that'll give me a reason to buy another handgun.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back