45 Super

If you have the knowledge, let discuss the 45 Super, and the guns that shoot it. Also bear guns, exotic high powered ammo, and the like.

After several years of looking for a bear gun, looking at the normal 44 mag, 357 mag, 10mm buffalo bore BS and so on. I stumbled upon a caliber that was unknown to me: 45 Super. ( I am not a caliber aficionado)

I had never had the justification of buying an expensive pistol ( since there are many affordable options in the 600-700$ range that are reliable, and accurate).... ............and always wanted a USP45. Having the option while in service to carry the Mark 23, I always wanted the USP series as a smaller option.

Little did I know, that the USP, with no change from the factory gun, (springs barrel etc) was needed to shoot reliably, and without adverse effects, the 45 Super. So the choice was made, and I got a USP45 Tactical, for a bit more $.

So far, as expected, it has been flawless, and match accurate, with basically everything I feed it. With good stuff, it is a one hole pistol at 15 yards. Probably 200 +p and Super, and 400 rounds various standard pressure rounds so far.

Man does the 45 Super has some juice! Underwood 255 45 Super hard cast sure make the steel clang, and the hand wake up.ss So far the best performer as far as accuracy has been Underwood FMJ in +P, and Winchester Ranger T-series.

Of course most are at applicable ranges for pistols, but because the USP was developed as an offense gun, I do cover 100 yards on steel silhouette just to do it.

I don't want to assume but IMO 45 Super you have to be loading your own. So I'm assuming! What are your loads and chrony results?

USP is my favorite line of HK's. You likely already know this but increased frequency of RSA replacement is beneficial for 45 Super. I'd also reach out to HK and ask about the nylon addition to the RSA that is used in the "C" model (love those as well!!) used in your 45 Super.

Enjoy it! Pretty cool to have a 45 Super.

Wait, wait, wait… 10mm Buffalo Bore is BS?

As a fan of the 10mm, I have 1911s in 10mm, a couple S&W in 10mm, and a Glock 20. They’re all good guns (though the Dan Wesson gave me some trouble at first). Reliable. Accurate. 9+1 or 10+1 rounds capacity. In the case of the Glock, 15+1

10mm Buffalo Bore ammo maximizes the potential of those platforms.

For effectiveness, it’s hard to beat that G20 loaded with 15+1 Buffalo Bore 220g hard cast.

The H&K USP? Great gun. Built well.

But .45 Super is going to be hard to find.

As a fan of the 10mm, I have 1911s in 10mm, a couple S&W in 10mm, and a Glock 20. They’re all good guns (though the Dan Wesson gave me some trouble at first). Reliable. Accurate. 9+1 or 10+1 rounds capacity. In the case of the Glock, 15+1

For effectiveness, it’s hard to beat that G20 loaded with 15+1 Buffalo Bore 220g hard cast.

Looking at basic Wikipedia info, its not that similar. What are the specs on the 220 hard cast BB?

45 super:
IMG_8666.jpeg

10mm:
IMG_8665.jpeg

Real 10mm could be hard to find too, but you can cycle .40 in there, no?

No 10mm is no BS. That is not what I meant. I meant that there is alot of info on the 10mm that is untrue, or at least not faithful. Regular 10mm of the shelf is roughly the same power level as 40sw, it is only the properly loaded 10mm that is the powerhouse, such as buffalo bore, or underwood. So the mystique of the 10mm itself is unfounded, at least in our domestic loading. Both out which are defeated by +p 45.

This post is pretty wide so forgive the broadness.

I find 45acp just turned up to around 20,000psi with 230gr quite enough.

There's always 45acp loaded with enforcer. A max charge of enforcer will get you over most +p ammo without going over standard p. But it makes a cataclysmic muzzle blast that will scare most 10mm shooters.

Looking at basic Wikipedia info, its not that similar. What are the specs on the 220 hard cast BB?

45 super:
View attachment 180460

10mm:
View attachment 180461

Real 10mm could be hard to find too, but you can cycle .40 in there, no?
10mm is expensive right now. So is everything else.

But good 10mm, 10mm loaded to full pressure like Buffalo Bore, is uncommon.

Fortunately - I’ve got some…

I don't want to assume but IMO 45 Super you have to be loading your own. So I'm assuming! What are your loads and chrony results?

USP is my favorite line of HK's. You likely already know this but increased frequency of RSA replacement is beneficial for 45 Super. I'd also reach out to HK and ask about the nylon addition to the RSA that is used in the "C" model (love those as well!!) used in your 45 Super.

Enjoy it! Pretty cool to have a 45 Super.
no i do not reload, but underwood has a bunch in stock.

10mm is expensive right now. So is everything else.

But good 10mm, 10mm loaded to full pressure like Buffalo Bore, is uncommon.

Fortunately - I’ve got some…
Yeah… I’m not sure hot 10mm was ever that common or inexpensive.

But what are the velocity and energy specs on it?

Was looking to compare vs 45 super…

I used to reload .45 Super, but I have not in a long time. I built a .460 Rowland with a Clark barrel then, also.

Later I developed a need for a real bear gun - because of more extensive riding and camping in remote western mountain areas. The trade-off of power, reliability, ammo selection did not favor a hot-rodded auto vs. .357 and .44 magnum revolvers and commercial ammo (particularly Buffalo Bore, which I began using eary on).

.45 Super is fun to play with but it’s not the ideal thing to chose as a bear gun IMO.

I tried 45 super in a Glock 21 but I had problems with the slide overrunning the magazine, even when I used extra power or even double magazine springs. I ended up converting a Springfield 1911 to 460 Rowland.

Yeah… I’m not sure hot 10mm was ever that common or inexpensive.

But what are the velocity and energy specs on it?

Was looking to compare vs 45 super…
The 220g hardcast is my choice for outdoor carry.

Most 10mm ammo is “FBI lite” load. Or no better than a .40.

Buffalo Bore is full pressure.

Last edited:
The 220g hardcast is my choice for outdoor carry.

Most 10mm ammo is “FBI lite” load. Or no better than a .40.

Buffalo Bore is full pressure.
Right. So for comparison to above, they claim 1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.

Back