What age were you when you got married?

We started dating when we were 20 and pretty much considered ourselves “basically engaged” very early on although we certainly weren’t mature that young either. I changed my career 3 times and she did as well.

I was 25, she was 26 when we married 33 years ago. She's a good person and has a kind heart. I'm grateful that we're together.

Last edited:
Dated for 3 years and I was 24 and she was 28 we we married. We've been married for 20 years.

I was 21 almost 22, she had just turned 18… we had 1 kid together at that point, he was 6 months old when we married. Started dating when she was 17 and I was 20. Going on 7 years happily married with 4 sons.

If not for her I’d either be in jail for reckless driving, dead from wrapping my car around a pole, or be in the military…. I had made peace with all 3 options till she dragged me from my depression. I’m thankful everyday for her and I don’t drive with reckless abandon anymore.
It's amazing when we go the what if route. I'm right there with you, I'd be the same way if not for my SO. I still have a knack for some reckless abandonment but she reminds me sternly about it. 😅

This is my problem. I am ready to pursue a relationship and marriage but it really seems like the dating pool is terrible. I choose early on to focus on my career and finances rather than chase women all the time. It seems that most of them only bring a dead end job, kid/kids, and baby daddy drama to the table at this point. Then you add In Snapchat, Instagram and everything else that allows people to talk to 15 different people at once and it’s exhausting.

Why would you even entertain women like that?

I feel if men aka simps stopped dating women with kids and stopped looking for a “wife” on dating apps. It would eliminate a lot of drama.

Women inherently want attention from men, if we freely give it to them though dating apps, then who’s really the problem?

My wife and I dated on and off in our teens (late 90's) and then "permanently" broke up. I moved to Ontario after finishing school and upon returning out east to visit my parents and not having seen her in a couple of years, we hooked back up and it was like we had seen each other the day before. She ended up moving to Ontario with me (her first big commitment) and we got married in 2007.

I didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer with my post, so I apologize if it derailed the thread.

That said, let me pass on some advice, especially to the more recent marriages or the soon to be married.

Just make sure your marriage is your priority. I think ultimately that is why mine didn't work, and it wasn't for selfish reasons on either side...no one was cheating or trying to live like a single person etc. There are a lot of people out there with far greater challenges in life than we had; we are healthy, have a great daughter, can pay the mortgage and do some nice things every once in a while. Outside of that, we got continuously rabbit punched by external stressors that we were constantly trying to manage, mostly centered around sick and dying family members that weren't local...for years. While we were just trying to keep our ship afloat, the romance suffered and we became teammates just trying to navigate a mine field. Neither of us has a big family so a lot was left to us to take care of. We ended up in the friend zone, and while we do great co parenting including still doing small trips as a family, the marriage is over.

The world and life is extraordinarily busy these days, and it's easy to get stretched too thin like we did. Take care of your bride. Take care of your husband. Make sure they come first. If you do that, everything else will fall comfortably underneath that umbrella, including your kids! It doesn't work the other way a lot of times.

Good luck out there.

Hey now...what is wrong with the Military? ;)
Nothing at all! I was planning on Navy like my Uncle and Great Uncle lol

It's amazing when we go the what if route. I'm right there with you, I'd be the same way if not for my SO. I still have a knack for some reckless abandonment but she reminds me sternly about it. 😅
I mean I still use my radar detector religiously, but I’m not doubling ridiculous 30-35mph backroad speed limits fast anymore 😅

Why would you even entertain women like that?

I feel if men aka simps stopped dating women with kids and stopped looking for a “wife” on dating apps. It would eliminate a lot of drama.

Women inherently want attention from men, if we freely give it to them though dating apps, then who’s really the problem?
I'm not entertaining that kind of women. That is why I am single. Those problems and associated drama do not interest me at all.

Married my high school sweetheart when I was 20, 2 weeks before my 21st birthday. It was 1998

She was 21

On our honeymoon, I had the credit card, but wasn’t old enough to rent the car. She was, but had no credit card. They let me call the CC company and added her to my CC account at the rental office. I wonder if you could do that today?

Still married now and alway will be.

Married at 22 after a 6 month engagement. Wow! That was almost 44 years ago. Looks like I need to plan a super nice 45th anniversary vacation for the two of us.

I was 29 (29 years now). Probably the best decision I ever made in my life. I'm one of the lucky ones. However I will say marriage can be hard work. I find mine very rewarding and my wife continues to be my best friend and my #1 champion (meaning #2).

I didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer with my post, so I apologize if it derailed the thread.

That said, let me pass on some advice, especially to the more recent marriages or the soon to be married.

Just make sure your marriage is your priority. I think ultimately that is why mine didn't work, and it wasn't for selfish reasons on either side...no one was cheating or trying to live like a single person etc. There are a lot of people out there with far greater challenges in life than we had; we are healthy, have a great daughter, can pay the mortgage and do some nice things every once in a while. Outside of that, we got continuously rabbit punched by external stressors that we were constantly trying to manage, mostly centered around sick and dying family members that weren't local...for years. While we were just trying to keep our ship afloat, the romance suffered and we became teammates just trying to navigate a mine field. Neither of us has a big family so a lot was left to us to take care of. We ended up in the friend zone, and while we do great co parenting including still doing small trips as a family, the marriage is over.

The world and life is extraordinarily busy these days, and it's easy to get stretched too thin like we did. Take care of your bride. Take care of your husband. Make sure they come first. If you do that, everything else will fall comfortably underneath that umbrella, including your kids! It doesn't work the other way a lot of times.

Good luck out there.
Good advice here⬆️

Furthermore, a retired a colleague told me something several years ago, marriage is not 50-50, it's 100-0, he was darn right.

Back