You can check out but you can never leave

Your writing is incredible. I was there, reading that. Thanks.

Also - Maybe because I can relate, trying to start my 1971 Datsun 510, winter, overnight in Big Bear. I had some disdain for all things military in 1976. It's how I/we felt. It sucks now looking back on those times how - well just how little I knew. I am just glad I stopped being anarchist and got my collective shiz together ~1978. Heck I carried a briefcase to class my last two years of college. Hahahahaha

Bless you SIR!

Last edited:
Your writing is incredible. I was there, reading that. Thanks.

Also - Maybe because I can relate, trying to start my 1971 Datsun 510, winter, overnight in Big Bear. I had some disdain for all things military in 1976. It's how I/we felt. It sucks now looking back on those times how - well just how little I knew. I am just glad I stopped being anarchist and got my collect shiz together ~1978. Heck I carried a briefcase to class my last two years of college. Hahahahaha

Bless you SIR!
You are very kind, Pablo.

Long story short, my oldest son and his family live in my childhood home. My grandkids go to the same schools I did. As a 2021 Christmas present they gave me a Storyworth gift, a way I could write a book about the old days in the neighborhood. Well, it morphed into much more than that. Check out the table of contents. Writing is something I've always enjoyed.

Scott

IMG_8676.heic.jpeg
IMG_8678.heic.jpeg
IMG_8677.heic.jpeg
IMG_8679.heic.jpeg

Last edited:
Scott, was really sad when I saw your "permanent vacation" post. Knew something was up and tried to reach out through PM on here and different site. Thought, wow, some of the best posts I've read are now done. Was like a little part of me was gone. Never saw the author of this thread until today and really made my day that you're back. I know you've been through a lot, still going through a lot, dealing with deep losses and such, but don't go it alone man. The theraputic value of community is priceless. Life is going to be life regardless, but keeping relationships, even with all of us BITOGers, will help get ya through the rough spots. This journey is much better with the richness of others to share it with.

Writing a book myself of all the travails in my "blue" world. Could be another Wambaugh ;).

Scott, was really sad when I saw your "permanent vacation" post. Knew something was up and tried to reach out through PM on here and different site. Thought, wow, some of the best posts I've read are now done. Was like a little part of me was gone. Never saw the author of this thread until today and really made my day that you're back. I know you've been through a lot, still going through a lot, dealing with deep losses and such, but don't go it alone man. The theraputic value of community is priceless. Life is going to be life regardless, but keeping relationships, even with all of us BITOGers, will help get ya through the rough spots. This journey is much better with the richness of others to share it with.

Writing a book myself of all the travails in my "blue" world. Could be another Wambaugh ;).
Nice to see your message! Your book idea about your "blue" world...a chapter from my book. Pretty bizarre, eh? But my chapter describing my summer long friendship with the younger sister of one of Charles Manson's girls tops it. I dodged a few bullets in my lifetime.

Scott
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 11.34.51 AM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 11.35.05 AM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 11.35.11 AM.jpeg

Good to see you back, but like you, I took an extended vacation too. Realized life was too short and came back. Placed a couple members on ignore and things have been pretty smooth. You do have a way with words. Available for Kindle? You still making it to the races? You know what they say? 70 is the new 50!

Good to see you back, but like you, I took an extended vacation too. Realized life was too short and came back. Placed a couple members on ignore and things have been pretty smooth. You do have a way with words. Available for Kindle? You still making it to the races? You know what they say? 70 is the new 50!
Heck yeah! Sue and I will continue going to the races even if someone has to drive us there. It's part of who we are. I have an entire chapter in my book dedicated to the time I crewed for an SCCA National Championship caliber race team. Some of the most outrageously fun times of our lives were back then.

A few pics. The old one was taken way back in 1974 at Laguna Seca. It was literally my second date with Sue. I'd known her for maybe two weeks. The one in front of Palou's #10 car was in 2021 at Laguna. A few others for your amusement. I especially like the one of Chip and me. For whatever reason, it seems we always meet and talk (and we don't buy those fancy "meet the team" tickets). Chip and I somehow seem to find each other. I find him immensely likable. He always seems to enjoy talking with me. I laugh because when we shake hands and part company people look at me wondering who the heck I am. Hilarious. Obviously, Sue and I love racing, and have for FIVE decades.

Scott

IMG_2343.jpeg
IMG_5569.jpeg
IMG_1449.jpeg
IMG_4778.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's another good one, in fact an excellent one! James Hunt signing Sue's race program at the 1979 Long Beach Grand Prix. Sometimes it helps to be an attractive woman.

Scott

View attachment 196265
Cool pictures! You run with a rarified crowd! I see you grew up in the Bay Area. I was born in 1960 at Stanford medical center. Lived in San Jose near the old San Jose Speedway which we walked to and attended every Saturday until 1969. Moved to Watsonville and saw racing on the dirt there and selected other races back in S.J., Altamont, Stockton, Vallejo and others until 1973 when we moved to Redding. Stopped going to races until the early 1980's where the new wife and I went all over on weekends and across the country on vacations to see races. Never missed the Copper World back in the day. Saw many Nascar races on tracks that are now defunct. Slowed down our race attendance to a couple three a year since moving to Wyoming in '05. We concentrate on open wheel sprints nowadays when we do go. I do watch the F1, Indy on TV. Stopped caring about Nascar 20 years ago. I find it boring now.
I enjoyed your stories and you should publish them and make them available on Amazon. Many a writer cashing in on books that are marginal at best. Mostly women's fiction with romance. Not my cup of tea but there are other writers that found a niche on Amazon through self publishing and make quite the coin.
Looks like you selected well when you found your wife. It's a drag when your lifelong friends start aging out. What can you do? Looks like they are still part of your life and I'm sure they appreciate the love from their compadre's.

Cool pictures! You run with a rarified crowd! I see you grew up in the Bay Area. I was born in 1960 at Stanford medical center. Lived in San Jose near the old San Jose Speedway which we walked to and attended every Saturday until 1969. Moved to Watsonville and saw racing on the dirt there and selected other races back in S.J., Altamont, Stockton, Vallejo and others until 1973 when we moved to Redding. Stopped going to races until the early 1980's where the new wife and I went all over on weekends and across the country on vacations to see races. Never missed the Copper World back in the day. Saw many Nascar races on tracks that are now defunct. Slowed down our race attendance to a couple three a year since moving to Wyoming in '05. We concentrate on open wheel sprints nowadays when we do go. I do watch the F1, Indy on TV. Stopped caring about Nascar 20 years ago. I find it boring now.
I enjoyed your stories and you should publish them and make them available on Amazon. Many a writer cashing in on books that are marginal at best. Mostly women's fiction with romance. Not my cup of tea but there are other writers that found a niche on Amazon through self publishing and make quite the coin.
Looks like you selected well when you found your wife. It's a drag when your lifelong friends start aging out. What can you do? Looks like they are still part of your life and I'm sure they appreciate the love from their compadre's.
San Jose Speedway......

I have some history at that race track! I had been crewing for a successful SCCA driver, Mark McCarthy. I crewed for Mark in either '74-'76 or '75-'77. Mark finished third at the SCCA National Championships in '76 (?) driving an F-production Spitfire, car #53. Mark finished behind the two Group 44 cars, which had full British Leyland factory backing. Mark, Bobby Dorman (his best friend and engine builder), and me - we all had day jobs.

Anyway, Mark and his brothers, Tom and Mike, were some of the most fun guys I've ever met in my life. Simply going to the grocery store with them was a comedy act. And speaking of comedy acts, how about the time Mike rolled a golf cart with brother Tom inside. I can still see that thing shedding parts, golf clubs and bags flying everywhere, and seeing Tom crawl out of it, absolutely furious at Mike. Sue and I had so much fun in those McCarthy days!

At the time I was working for an industrial equipment company called Summit Enterprises. They specialized in industry sized air compressors. The owner of the business, Cliff Morin, sponsored a Super Modified that raced at The Speedway. I forget the driver's name but Cliff became disenchanted with his results and bought the car from him. Cliff turned it into a copper colored #99 car. I painted that car!

Well, I was crewing for Mark and Cliff needed a driver. I suggested Mark and incredibly Cliff gave him the ride! Mark got some good results in that car, winning San Jose Speedway ROTY honors in '76 IIRC.

I crewed on that car for awhile, but it never floated my boat because I was a road racer at heart. That said, those Super Modifieds were beasts. BIG horsepower and even BIGGER wings. I always found them a bit primitive, but intimidating none-the-less.

During my time there Howard Keading was king. There was another driver, Nick Resino, who was **** quick as well. One Saturday night I saw Richard Zwemke (I use Richard because his abbreviated name gets censored) burn to death while trapped fully conscious and flailing desperately inside his car, an image that still haunts me to this day. I bring this up because Mark raced with a full faced helmet. He was openly laughed at by some of the other drivers, thinking he was a wuss.

Anyway, San Jose Speedway. Part of a by gone era.

Scott

Last edited:
Back