What age were you when you got married?

Started dating in early 2001, Married Oct 7, 2006 the whole high school sweetheart bit.

So 22 years total, 16 married at the age of 23 almost 24.

We were both our first and only serious relationship which I do think wasn't a great thing but in the end it works somehow. When I tell people I've only had 1 sexual partner it's a mix of cynicism and disbelief to sometimes outright amazement based on my personality. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I married at 29. It was a good age to tie the knot. We were both mature enough to not totally stink at being married at least.

My son is dating a girl he played tag with and pushed on the swings. His mom and I might just love her more than he does, lol. Normally I would want my kids to wait a good while before they married, but this gal is such a quality person, I would hate to see him let her go.

Started dating in early 2001, Married Oct 7, 2006 the whole high school sweetheart bit.

So 22 years total, 16 married.

We were both our first and only serious relationship which I do think wasn't a great thing but in the end it works somehow.
Same here, just different years. We met in high school at 16 years of age and started dating at 18. When we were 23 in 1999 we got married and have been together ever since. I would do it all over again, because she's an amazing person, wife and mom to our 2 kids; I'm one lucky guy.

Same here, just different years. We met in high school at 16 years of age and started dating at 18. When we were 23 in 1999 we got married and have been together ever since. I would do it all over again, because she's an amazing person, wife and mom to our 2 kids; I'm one lucky guy.
My wife is way more tolerant of me than she needs to be. So when I say probably I say because of me, not her. To her credit she has saved me from myself more often than not and stopped me from doing one thing that could have ended my life and that was joining the Armed Forces during the Iraq/Afghanistan war. We have our squabbles but they are minor compared to anything else. All in all with my two daughters & her, I like you am one lucky guy.

Married at 20 the first time, dated off and on since 13 &14yrs old, married 21yrs and divorced now. Spouse 2.0 married at 43 and will be 3yrs July, short dating this time only 9 months.

37. 48 now, and it's in the process of dissolving. Hurting.
It does hurt, experienced it firsthand a few years ago. I went to weekly counseling for a 1 1/2 years and it helped me get through it. It does get better, the hurt eventually goes away, in time you will not think of them as much and eventually not at all except at pertinent times. My ex and I were together for 29yrs and my current life is so much better. Give it time.

Lots of different stories on this thread.

To those of your who are or have been married for a long time and are still head over heels for your partner, I'm so stinkin happy for you. Seriously.

To those who have been jaded by unhealthy relationships, I get it. Keep moving forward in your own way.

And to those who have never married and probably never will... You're not doing anything wrong, and you're not missing anything. Keep doing you.

Lots of different stories on this thread.
To those of your who are or have been married for a long time and are still head over heels for your partner, I'm so stinkin happy for you. Seriously.
To those who have been jaded by unhealthy relationships, I get it. Keep moving forward in your own way.
And to those who have never married and probably never will... You're not doing anything wrong, and you're not missing anything. Keep doing you.
Accurate, and every bit is right.

The only thing I could add is simply the bit about marriage really being a contract with the state, and not so much with your partner.

He's right unfortunately. I'm 32, been dating for a while and always wanted to find "the one" and at one time was jealous of my friends who got married younger. The issue is now many of them are struggling, and it's very sad. Our society today rewards women financially to break the marriage contract. Too many men now see that potential financial loss combined with how easily it is for people to fall into hypergamy. With toxic social media and dating apps it just becomes a much tougher decision than ever before.

My parents married in their 20s, had me at 25. My grandparents married at 18. Those were very different times.
Yeah. My grandmother was barely 19 and my grandfather was 7 years older. I'm 40 and there doesn't seem to be anyone in their early to mid 30s that haven't already been married or have kid issues.

Never married. Friends and family bother me about it but I never felt the pull. I have no need for daily companionship and find most people irritating if I’m around them enough. Just not cut out for it. Most of my friends got married. Seen some ugly divorces and some fun second weddings. No second divorces yet but we’re still young.

I was 21 almost 22, she had just turned 18… we had 1 kid together at that point, he was 6 months old when we married. Started dating when she was 17 and I was 20. Going on 7 years happily married with 4 sons.

If not for her I’d either be in jail for reckless driving, dead from wrapping my car around a pole, or be in the military…. I had made peace with all 3 options till she dragged me from my depression. I’m thankful everyday for her and I don’t drive with reckless abandon anymore.

Back