Was Fram ever really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ OK ... try an Ultra, they are awesome!
grin.gif

FRAM has you right where they want you...

Paying $8 to $10 for a disposable oil filter and thinking it's great.

$8-10 for up to 15-20k miles of usage is less than a dollar per 1k miles. The fuel cost for that 1k miles can be more than $100 for many cars. If you think there is a better buy oil filter that can do 15-20k miles please post.

Now, if you use Fram Ultra for 5k miles then it isn't worth the money.

PS Why are you keep slamming on ZeeOSix in most of his posts ?

I run my ultra @ 5K (8000 KM) and IMO it is worth it if it turns out ok b/c of winter weather.

grin.gif

FRAM has you right where they want you...

Paying $8 to $10 for a disposable oil filter and thinking it's great.

And how much do you pay for the disposable oil filters for BMW? Probably more than $8-$10 for a Mann... my bad, it's a Mahle.

Fram Extraguards for your BMWs can cost that much also.... their made-in-China ones won't have paper end caps

Last edited:
^^^ Noting is too much money for a Bimmer.
laugh.gif

+1
If you have a BMW why not buy their expensive oil filters? Might as well as the maintenance of those cars are stupid expensive and you gotta be rich to have one.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
^^^ Noting is too much money for a Bimmer.
laugh.gif

+1
If you have a BMW why not buy their expensive oil filters? Might as well as the maintenance of those cars are stupid expensive and you gotta be rich to have one.

Because Fram ExtraGaurds, like that pictured in the previous post above, is actually better if Fram is using their glass fibers blended in. Quality product. Ultras are even better though.

grin.gif

FRAM has you right where they want you...Paying $8 to $10 for a disposable oil filter and thinking it's great.
I paid less than $8 for mine and after 15K miles it looked great. Do tell what other filter with the efficiency ratings and quality of construction of a FRAM Ultra can be had for less than that?

Same here-been getting XG8As & similar sizes for $5-$6 or even free with AAP code (when combined with a bigger part purchase)-any similar RP, Amsoil, or other syn media filter is a lot more $.

That is exactly how I get my Ultra filters. I am only hesitant to use this in my dads Ford because it is so quiet with the cheap MC filter I see no reason to switch. I have to find a better one for the 3.8 Rubicon though. Its current WIX makes a horrid squeal on cold start ups. I am thinking either a Silver, Mopar or TG/ Ultra.

Never once paid full price for an Ultra and run them 2x in my moms car. Roughly $3 per oil interval isn't too bad IMO. Combine that with my Castrol Synblend stash and we have some pretty cheap quality oil changes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Here's a Fram Extraguard for my engine:

The old version was:

Yes the older 9911 version shown was likely made by Mann with the coo of Germany as shown.

The newer CH9911 cartridge (and others) was brought in house and is now made in China.

The thing that I've never liked about the Frams that I've seen and used is that the base plates have always been grimy, and contain what appears to be particles on the center threads. I always worry about those getting in the engine.

OTOH, even though the Mobil-1 filters do not have a plastic seal either (which Toyotas have), they always appear clean.

If it wasn't for this, I would be less reluctant to use Frams.

^^^ Every brand filter I've used seems to have some kind of debris/contamination on the threads. That's why I always clean the threads and base plate before installing a new filter.

^^^ Every brand filter I've used seems to have some kind of debris/contamination on the threads. That's why I always clean the threads and base plate before installing a new filter.

Good Point! I hold the oil filter upside down and spray some silicone on the threads and baseplate to wash any leftover debris off.

Then a generous coat of oil on the gasket and top-off with new oil (on vertically mounted oil filters) before installation.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
That is exactly how I get my Ultra filters. I am only hesitant to use this in my dads Ford because it is so quiet with the cheap MC filter I see no reason to switch. I have to find a better one for the 3.8 Rubicon though. Its current WIX makes a horrid squeal on cold start ups. I am thinking either a Silver, Mopar or TG/ Ultra.

Never once paid full price for an Ultra and run them 2x in my moms car. Roughly $3 per oil interval isn't too bad IMO. Combine that with my Castrol Synblend stash and we have some pretty cheap quality oil changes.
smile.gif

I ran an M1 oil filter the first oil change on my 08 Jeep 3.8, and it made a racket until the oil pressure came up. Since then, I've been running the Motorcraft FL400s for most OCI's, and never had start-up noise.

I just put my first Fram Ultra on a week ago, with Mobil 1 0w40, and it works just like the Motorcraft, with no noise. I think it is an XG3600, which has quite a bit extra oil capacity over the OEM specified filter. The FL400s did, as well, but didn't hold as much as the XG3600.

Did you have any fitment issues with the FL400s?

It sure would make for an easier removal. I nearly broke my wrist trying to take it off last time.. which was my fault for making it too right, but its hard for me to grab the smaller filter.

It doesn't help that the filter is mounted roughly 80* from the engine either. I always have a hard time getting a new filter reinstalled. The larger filter should help with that too.

Fram oil filters aren't and never were that bad.
I used them for hundreds of thousands of miles long before BITOG existed with no problems.
Fram oil filters showed very good filtration in a Consumer Reports test of oil filter back in the eighties, so I used them for many years as a matter of preference.
Cardboard end caps and all, the orange can was always a good filter.
Let's not even talk about media tears with brand P, a filter I've also used quite a few of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back