Fram PH4967, 7988 miles C&P

The one wide/angled pleat area, looks pretty ugly. You can see in the 5th gallery pic where the fiber endcap on one end distorted in that area. Did it allow bypass? Probably not in this case. But there is an older TG3614 anecdote here where the end cap distorted enough to clearly allow bypass.

Agreeing with another member here, best can be said if no bypass, it survived. Despite max rating, imo the orange can a ~5k mile filter.

Thanks for c&p.

The point about bypass is a good one. So even without a tear, if the endcap is pulled in too much, it still isn't good. Well the current OCOD on the camry will be off NLT 5K miles from now.

The 4967 was one OCOD that I thought I wouldn't need more pleats with--the few I've seen cut open had many many pleats. If I have a similar issue with the TG3600 that I'll take off my highlander in a few months, I'll move on to another brand. If not, a TG for 2 OCIs is still cheaper and higher efficiency than an OCOD every OCI.

The one wide/angled pleat area, looks pretty ugly. You can see in the 5th gallery pic where the fiber endcap on one end distorted in that area. Did it allow bypass? Probably not in this case. But there is an older TG3614 anecdote here where the end cap distorted enough to clearly allow bypass.

Agreeing with another member here, best can be said if no bypass, it survived. Despite max rating, imo the orange can a ~5k mile filter.

Thanks for c&p.

The filter media felt very brittle almost a crispy like sound /texture when running my thumb over the pleats. That TG is a 15k filter I don’t see it, 10k be pushing it. No dis to fram but the orange can should be pushed back to a 5k jobber rating TG just needs an overhaul perhaps change the filter media make it less stiff and more pliable

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
It's not winning any beauty contest but as long as it didn't tear it should be fine for another 1-2k up to 10k as they spec. I wouldn't buy tough guard if you want a different economy filter, Id go with Supertech.

IMO, that end cap wasn't warped enough to bypass oil. Fit the leaf spring and ADBV back in their place, squeeze down hard by hand to give some pressure and look for seal gaps.

Now the new Ultra is the one that doesn’t make much sense, go TG or just jump to Endurance.
You can get the PH for a little over $4 and the TG for around $7 on Amazon.

I don't see the point of the TGs and new Ultras existing in Fram's lineup.
What's interesting is you can get the Ultras down to $7.62 on Amazon with Subscribe and Save but this discount doesn't apply to the TG's. So there's only a 45 cents difference between the two.

Took this filter off the Camry in my sig. It had 7988 miles, and two oil changes. On went another Fram PH4967, and some Castrol 40 grade combo (20w50 conventional & 5w20 Edge). I didn’t cut the filter element off, because I just wanted to see the pleats and the overall condition of the filter at 8K miles. Date code means it was made on October 10, 2022.

Doesn’t look bad for 8000 miles, although honestly I didn’t expect to see the pleat spacing visible in that first pic, and a couple of others as well. I am planning on taking these filters 8-10K miles, and now I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the TG 4967. The TG line has more pleats, at least that’s what I’ve been led to believe. On the one hand, perhaps another 2000 miles on this filter wouldn’t have caused a tear. On the other hand, part of me is thinking that if I have to wonder if my filter can go to 10,000 miles because it doesn’t look good at 8000, then I need to find a new filter. What do you all think?

I decided to try the Gallery method of posting a photo. It was a bit more awkward, and I think I prefer the pics in the post. Live and learn.

Nice write up. So what oil filter and oil back on and in? Thank You

Took this filter off the Camry in my sig. It had 7988 miles, and two oil changes. On went another Fram PH4967, and some Castrol 40 grade combo (20w50 conventional & 5w20 Edge). I didn’t cut the filter element off, because I just wanted to see the pleats and the overall condition of the filter at 8K miles. Date code means it was made on October 10, 2022.

Doesn’t look bad for 8000 miles, although honestly I didn’t expect to see the pleat spacing visible in that first pic, and a couple of others as well. I am planning on taking these filters 8-10K miles, and now I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the TG 4967. The TG line has more pleats, at least that’s what I’ve been led to believe. On the one hand, perhaps another 2000 miles on this filter wouldn’t have caused a tear. On the other hand, part of me is thinking that if I have to wonder if my filter can go to 10,000 miles because it doesn’t look good at 8000, then I need to find a new filter. What do you all think?

I decided to try the Gallery method of posting a photo. It was a bit more awkward, and I think I prefer the pics in the post. Live and learn.

Good Morning Paulri,
Great pics and I appreciate that you took the Extra Guard to 7,988 miles! A good test as the filter is rated for 10k miles.
The filter looks excellent except for the two wavey pleats but no tearing. :) (y)
You're in California so no cold weather starts with thicker oil could be the cause. Did the filter see highway or city driving?

Thanks again!

Hard to say for sure, I maintain the car but it is driven out of town as a college beater. I'd say a mix of both. It is driven several miles to work, but also, I'm sure, has some trips on the freeway as well.

Good Morning Paulri,
Great pics and I appreciate that you took the Extra Guard to 7,988 miles! A good test as the filter is rated for 10k miles.
The filter looks excellent except for the two wavey pleats but no tearing. :) (y)
You're in California so no cold weather starts with thicker oil could be the cause. Did the filter see highway or city driving?

Thanks again!

Hard to say for sure, I maintain the car but it is driven out of town as a college beater. I'd say a mix of both. It is driven several miles to work, but also, I'm sure, has some trips on the freeway as well.
You mentioned it's a college beater. Is it driven by your son/daughter at school?

The filter saw a very good test with a lot of city miles and running on an engine with 293K miles on it. I believe you're doing fine with the Extra Guard. But it would be curious to see how a Tough Great behaves to 10K miles.
Great job maintaining your vehicles!

Well I put another OCOD on it, so we won't know how the TG does for a while. I currently have a TG3600 on my Highlander at about 4600 miles. I'll keep that one on for another oil change, and then cut that one and see. Given that I'm seeing this car (the Camry) several times a year for vacations, I want to extend the oil changes to 5K, and that means the filter needs to go 10. Not sure the OCOD is up to the task, so if the TG on my Highlander looks good when I cut it open, I'll move to the TG for the Camry.

The filter saw a very good test with a lot of city miles and running on an engine with 293K miles on it. I believe you're doing fine with the Extra Guard. But it would be curious to see how a Tough Great behaves to 10K miles.
Great job maintaining your vehicles!

Well I put another OCOD on it, so we won't know how the TG does for a while. I currently have a TG3600 on my Highlander at about 4600 miles. I'll keep that one on for another oil change, and then cut that one and see. Given that I'm seeing this car (the Camry) several times a year for vacations, I want to extend the oil changes to 5K, and that means the filter needs to go 10. Not sure the OCOD is up to the task, so if the TG on my Highlander looks good when I cut it open, I'll move to the TG for the Camry.
If it's not brand new stock, the PH3600 is one of the better orange cans. Lots of media and more pleats than some of the others. I still have one left I bought on clearance at Menards for 2 bucks. Now Menards is all Purolater. :eek:

I agree, that's why I moved to the 3600 line a year or two ago--it inevitably looks better than the 3614 that is specced for 2 of my cars. Problem is, even the PH3600 that I took off at around 5000 miles didn't look like it could go 10K. So i've just moved to the TG3600. If that one gives me problems I'll either go back to Napa Gold/Wix, or just 1 OCI per filter.

If it's not brand new stock, the PH3600 is one of the better orange cans. Lots of media and more pleats than some of the others. I still have one left I bought on clearance at Menards for 2 bucks. Now Menards is all Purolater. :eek:

Back