Was Fram ever really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to beat the performance, construction and reliability of the Ultra for the price and availability. I probably wouldn't use an orange can because I like running a filter longer than 5K. Might use a TG since they are rated to 10K, but I'd rather use an Ultra for 2x 6K OCIs for 12K on the filter.

i stopped using them when they were the cause for startup rattle on several of my vehicles.

I then started looking at alternatives and found filters just as good that were cheaper and i know this probably has nothing scientific to prove but when you pick up a fram filter it is noticeable lighter then most oil filters.

I've thought about buying a tough guard once just to try it etc but when i went to buy one i couldn't bring myself to buy one for that price when i was questionable on using it anyways, but when they were on sale at menards i was gonna buy one but of course they didn't have it in the size i wanted.

anyways after the whole purolator scare I've been branching out on different filter brands etc.

I have cut open 3 Fram orange cans. I thought all 3 looked pretty good for the price, for a shorter OCI. I think they look better than the Pro-Selects and Silvers I have cut open. They looked better than the last 3 Motorcrafts as well since they had defects and the Frams did not. I do think the Fram Extra Guards could use a better ADBV though. For not much more I would use the Tough Guard with the silicone valve even for a shorter run.

Last edited:
All this cutting up filters can only tell you if the filter holds up.
It doesn't tell you about filtering oil.

Originally Posted By: Dexters
All this cutting up filters can only tell you if the filter holds up.
It doesn't tell you about filtering oil.

Very true.

And UOAs have proven a high efficiency filter vs. jobber filter doesn't matter in terms of wear.

Heck, folks with the surprise integrated Purolator bypass had no extra wear either.
smile.gif

Years ago I had issues with the Orange cans and engine start ups on a Honda I owned. Combined with a row of cut open filters I saw at an auto parts store (this was pre internets) I swore them off.

I started using their cartridge filters for an Ecotec engine about ten years ago but still wouldn't use the orange cans.

However I came across this post a while back and while I still wont use the orange cans, the Tough Guard and Ultra Guard models look good.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating...n-ohio-1261517/

I got a good deal on Ultra Guard filters ($29.99 for 4) for my truck so I am now using them and so far zero issues. Also using Tough Guard cartridge filters for my wife's Scion xD with no issues.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I see so many recommendations to use Fram UG and Fram in general that it makes me wonder if all that negative talk about the brand was just that. Talk?

I know there is not a lot of love for paper end caps for the media, and perhaps the upper level TG & UG get their recommendations based on the use of metal, but if the brand had a bad rap in the past I'd expect to see lingering effects on this forum, but I don't.
confused.gif

So please school me: was it all [censored], or a case of people loving to knock the biggest guy off his pedestal just for their own jealous petty reasons.

Thanks again, Ken.

At least as I've understood it, the "OCOD" reaction is simply due to the fact that the filter end caps are made of paper and not metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVNESOwLyk

It was never really an issue of having any troubles with the filter, but a perceived lack of performance due to oil filter design. And yeah, it turns out the filters work just fine.

BITOG does in general seem to have fandom waves, both positive and negative, on different filter and oil brands. How based these waves of support or disdain are will always be debatable.

I was doing MY first motorcycle oil change on MY first bike. A Fram came off and a KN went on, well, when I revved it, oil came gushing out. Turns out the Fram left its gasket behind. This was in 2004, pre BITOG days for me, so I never bought a Fram until last month when I put an Ultra on the truck.

Tis experience also got me into the habit of wiping the mating surface down. Its good practice to have a clean surface and it also allows you to feel for any garbage/gasket material left behind, especially if you cant see what you're doing.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I was doing MY first motorcycle oil change on MY first bike. A Fram came off and a KN went on, well, when I revved it, oil came gushing out. Turns out the Fram left its gasket behind. This was in 2004, pre BITOG days for me, so I never bought a Fram until last month when I put an Ultra on the truck.

Tis experience also got me into the habit of wiping the mating surface down. Its good practice to have a clean surface and it also allows you to feel for any garbage/gasket material left behind, especially if you cant see what you're doing.
It is not the oil filters fault that it left the gasket behind it is your fault for not checking. Rookie move.

Pure anecdotal experience, but with far more experience than many here.

Way back in the late 70's and early 80's my entire fleet was running on Havoline and Fram filters. We used literally hundreds of them in fleet use, on the track, street, and at the strip.

never had a single issue with oil or filters...

FRAM has built junk oil filters and damaged engines.

That's a fact.

Here's one example in RAM Cummins applications:

http://www.fram.com/media/20656/PH3976-Bulletin-3Cummins_59L_Engine.pdf

But I believe FRAM's image has suffered most in the past from their excessive value engineering.

FRAM has decontenting their OCOD and Tough Guard filters until they look cheaply constructed. When cut open and compared to competing oil filters, the lower end FRAMs just don't inspire a lot of confidence from consumers.

Now FRAM Ultra has captured the spotlight here on BITOG.

That's fine, except 90% of all do-it-yourself oil change guys don't want to lay down $8 to $16 for an oil filter.

If they were going to spend that kind of cash, they would let Ms. Sixpack take the car down to the quickie lube for an oil change.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

That's fine, except 90% of all do-it-yourself oil change guys don't want to lay down $8 to $16 for an oil filter.

If they were going to spend that kind of cash, they would let Ms. Sixpack take the car down to the quickie lube for an oil change.

Except she would get a $1.98 jobber filter at the "Quickie Lube" instead of an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Except she would get a $1.98 jobber filter at the "Quickie Lube" instead of an Ultra.

My point exactly.

Probably an ecore FRAM.

And neither Joe nor Ms. Sixpack would care.

what do fram fans and kindergarteners have in common? They both love projects made of cardboard and glue.
crackmeup2.gif
couldn't help it, it's all in good fun

My point exactly.

Probably an ecore FRAM.

And neither Joe nor Ms. Sixpack would care.

And if they take it to the "Quickie Lube" they: 1) Don't really care what goes in their vehicle, 2) Have no idea that there is any difference between oils and filters, and 3) never heard of BITOG.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
what do fram fans and kindergarteners have in common? They both love projects made of cardboard and glue.
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe some Gorilla Glue would help out on some of those media tears. LOL

crackmeup2.gif

Maybe some Gorilla Glue would help out on some of those media tears. LOL

Not sure what you are referring to, I've NEVER had a failure yet!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The use of the word "yet" implies that you are expecting one.
smile.gif

No it means "to date" and I'm not expecting any. Ever. My puros are good to go!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The use of the word "yet" implies that you are expecting one.
smile.gif

No it means "to date" and I'm not expecting any. Ever. My puros are good to go!

As long as they are wired backed.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back