Was Fram ever really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The use of the word "yet" implies that you are expecting one.
smile.gif

No it means "to date" and I'm not expecting any. Ever. My puros are good to go!

As long as they are wired backed.
cheers3.gif

You and zeeosix would just love to see that wouldn't you? Don't hold your breath, wire or cellulose they are rock solid. I used to use the OCOD, then I got serious about my maintenance.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
what do fram fans and kindergarteners have in common? They both love projects made of cardboard and glue.
crackmeup2.gif
couldn't help it, it's all in good fun

Maybe some Gorilla Glue would help out on some of those media tears. LOL

Not sure what you are referring to, I've NEVER had a failure yet!

You probably just jinxed yourself ... just because you've never had a failure yet doesn't mean that others here haven't or won't in the future. Be sure to post up the torn one when you discover it.
grin.gif

if I ever do, I will make sure and post it here first. You may want to sip on some Fram flavored kool aid while you wait....
grin.gif

I have no problems with the basic FRAM design. Neither does Honda or Subaru. I've cut many orange cans and blue cans and they all looked perfect. I cut one with over 25k KMs on it, and it survived.

Alot of other filter mfgs use fiber end caps or none at all
It is really not a bad design if you think about it-glue holds to fiber better than metal

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I see so many recommendations to use Fram UG and Fram in general that it makes me wonder if all that negative talk about the brand was just that. Talk?

I know there is not a lot of love for paper end caps for the media, and perhaps the upper level TG & UG get their recommendations based on the use of metal, but if the brand had a bad rap in the past I'd expect to see lingering effects on this forum, but I don't.
confused.gif

So please school me: was it all [censored], or a case of people loving to knock the biggest guy off his pedestal just for their own jealous petty reasons.

Thanks again, Ken.

At least as I've understood it, the "OCOD" reaction is simply due to the fact that the filter end caps are made of paper and not metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVNESOwLyk

It was never really an issue of having any troubles with the filter, but a perceived lack of performance due to oil filter design. And yeah, it turns out the filters work just fine.

BITOG does in general seem to have fandom waves, both positive and negative, on different filter and oil brands. How based these waves of support or disdain are will always be debatable.
The business of cutting open oil filters and posting photos on the net started with "Minimopar Oil Filter Study dot com". An EE lost a mopar engine to a Fram failure and then did a long running study of filter designs. Just Google it. I suppose we can say that Fram started the whole "what's in a filter" movement. Bach when Fram was in East Providence, RI they made good stuff.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust an OCOD to do filtering but it seems that with the ultra line they are doing much better.

$4 more for ultra why not!

The last two orange Frams I cut open fared very well after over 6000 miles. I am quite certain they did what they were designed to do, even after going over their 'rated' life.

I can't say the same for one of the two Puro Classics I recently opened. One of them had 2 media tears.

I chuckle when someone says there are "less expensive and better alternatives". Perhaps so, but the Puro Classic ain't one of them.

At least not for the time being...

I am probably one of the very few who has the gut(may be foolish) to have Fram Extra Guard in my LS400 for a full year of about 16-17k miles. I also had many low end filters in my LS400 for a full year too.

So far the engine is running well after 370+k miles.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
If you want a case study of fram reliability, you have to look no further than subaru. I dont really need to elaborate much more on how good fram's are.

Purolator has their issues also with Subaru. Even though Purolator makes Subaru filters, the Subaru-specific filters uses a different bypass valve than aftermarket Purolators.

the Orange can of death, actually meets the Subaru requirement.

I use Motorcraft filters mostly due to them costing about the same as a Fram or Purolator. I was sold on the whole "Fram has cardboard/fiber so it is bad" mentality until this thread. Now I can actually appreciate their design, how it actually does make some sense to do it their way, but the problem is the Motorcraft part is less than 50 cents more with a Silicone ADBV. If Fram was 3.00 a filter it would make more sense to buy, Purolator costs about 20 cents less and i'd use that due to it being from the same company that makes the motorcraft.

^^^ OK ... try an Ultra, they are awesome!
grin.gif

FRAM has you right where they want you...

Paying $8 to $10 for a disposable oil filter and thinking it's great.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
grin.gif

$8-10 for up to 15-20k miles of usage is less than a dollar per 1k miles. The fuel cost for that 1k miles can be more than $100 for many cars. If you think there is a better buy oil filter that can do 15-20k miles please post.

Now, if you use Fram Ultra for 5k miles then it isn't worth the money.

PS Why are you keep slamming on ZeeOSix in most of his posts ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I don't think "slamming" is a fair word to use here. People comment on and criticize other people's posts ... I see this happening frequently on BITOG. I have also seen members argue back and forth over an issue.

When someone criticizes my posts, I just figure it goes with the territory.

By the way, I remember the days before the internet and cell phones, and those days were much better in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
grin.gif

It is great ... good ROI when used for two OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

Just for your info, all spin-ons are disposable so what's the issue there? In fact, I'm keeping more oil filters out of the land fills because I'm using it for two OCIs. Again,
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Because it's hard for him to read the truth.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back