wanting to try 100% pure gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an FS station (Farm Service), they are a central Illinois company and they have 100% pure gas and I was thinking of trying it tonight. I have only been using top tier gasoline from Mobil and Shell. I heard that I could increase my fuel economy, but my main concern is will this stuff burn clean or not as clean as the top tier stuff I’ve been feeding it??

I understand that the car my love it in so far as how it will run, fuel economy, etc…. But long term…how clean should I expect the engine to stay using this if I decided to stay with it and not use top tier fuel at Shell and Mobil?

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I understand that the car my love it in so far as how it will run, fuel economy, etc…. But long term…how clean should I expect the engine to stay using this if I decided to stay with it and not use top tier fuel at Shell and Mobil?

It will stay very clean. In fact you will have peace of mind it is so clean..
lol.gif

Depends on the cleaning additives that Farm Service uses in their gasoline, but 100% gas vs 85%/15% ethanol you probably won't see a difference in the cleanliness of intakes etc....

Never had an issue with 100% gas and staying clean...and I've been driving since 1978.

[Or maybe earlier I can't recall, Senator.]
wink.gif

Last edited:
If you are really that worried, why not mix it 1/2 and 1/2 and see how it does... That should give you only 5% ethanol and much of the detergents. It couldn't hurt if you added a touch of cleaner like Techron or somesuch... I have done the 50/50 in the past and in my mind (at least)it feels like it idles a little smoother with the AC on. I can only get it in SC when I am on vacation.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have an FS station (Farm Service), they are a central Illinois company and they have 100% pure gas and I was thinking of trying it tonight. I have only been using top tier gasoline from Mobil and Shell. I heard that I could increase my fuel economy, but my main concern is will this stuff burn clean or not as clean as the top tier stuff I’ve been feeding it??

As I'm in Central Illinois as well, it seems odd to have an FS, that isn't pushing gas with ethanol in it.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

As I'm in Central Illinois as well, it seems odd to have an FS, that isn't pushing gas with ethanol in it.

Yeah, I find that strange to, and always thought the same thing. Their 89 and 92 oct are blended though.

Truly pure gasoline would be a DISASTER in a car engine. Insufficient detonation resistance (way below 87 octane!), insufficient detergency leading to very rapid deposit build-up, poorly controlled vapor pressure... You'd be back to 1913 all over again. You WANT the octane-boosting and detergent additives in automobile fuel.

I think you mean "ethanol free" rather than "pure."

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
One assumes you mean ethanol-free and not "pure gas"? Pure gas is a bit of a misnomer.

At the pump it says 100% gas. So back to my original question. run clean? or stick with Mobi and Shell?

One assumes you mean ethanol-free and not "pure gas"? Pure gas is a bit of a misnomer.

At the pump it says 100% gas. So back to my original question. run clean? or stick with Mobi and Shell?

Although I have seen quite a difference in my lawn care equipment, I really saw only a small increase in gas mileage and no performance difference. For the cost (because the only pump that had "pure gas" was 93) was not worth it. By all means try it, use it for your lawn equip. but it is not magic. Maybe I was expecting too much.

The only guarantee on cleanliness is that it will have at least the EPA minimum detergent levels. My best guess is it that it won't be "Top Tier" level in detergency. If this concerns you, consider either adding a little Techron or Regane each fill, or do a full treatment at the prescribed mileages.

Personally, I'd jump at the chance to ditch E10, but it's no longer an option where I live.

I don't know if you still have the Lumina APV, but FWIW, my father's '95 APV ran much more efficiently on 100% gas.

If its sold at a pump for use in vehicles, its not "pure gas." Its ethanol-free gas, but it still has a shload of detergent and anti-knock, vapor pressure control, and other additives. You need and WANT those.

We just had another independent station here in SC go ethanol free so we have two within several miles of my home. !!!!

I agree with others here if you are concerned about the detergency level just get a few bottles of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner concentrate and add it every 2 to 3 thousand miles or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back