Traveling and can't always fill up with Top Tier Fuel

Long time reader, first time poster so be gentle. :)

My wife and I will be taking an approximately 5200 mile trip soon in her 2023 VW Taos. This will be the first road trip of any distance for this vehicle as it is normally her gym-mobile, grocery getter, etc..... Close to home filling up with Top Tier gas is not an issue, however when we are on the road we can't always fill up with Top Tier so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use an additive every other tank or so while on the trip. If we were driving my Toyota I wouldn't be as concerned, but this Taos is a moody gal about fuel, especially 87 octane fuels, so I tend to always go higher octane and try to stick with either Marathon or Shell since it seems to like those brands a bit better. Again though, while traveling I can't always get a Top Tier brand so I thought about doing the additive thing in the Taos for this trip. What are everyone's thoughts on my every other tank additive plan?

As an FYI I have used Techron Complete for years now in all manner of vehicles just before an oil change, so that is likely what I would use on this trip. That said I don't currently have any on hand, and have read good things about both Redline SI-1 and Royal Purple Max Clean so I wanted to get some opinions on those products as well since I might be using something on this trip.

Thanks for your feedback!

Say it with me folks, you are not off road in sub central desert where the next fuel station is 500 miles aways and fuel delivery isnt regular.

You will be fine. In addition whatever gas you fill in that tank will be there for a short amount of time. If you need the extra fuzies, fill at truck stops only with their highest tier fuel and refuel when the tank indicates half empty. In addition get receipts in case you get a bad batch of fuel

When you come home, and close to an oci you can dump in that techron and it will be all good.

Last edited:
You put way too much faith/value in Top Tier fuel. The car will be fine if it never sees another gallon in it's life so it won't be hurt on this trip either.
lol it's all smoke and mirrors.

Just get gas from a station that looks like it gets a transport once in awhile.

This x1000

If you're that worried about it, stick to bigger, well known stations (depending on what part of the country you're in.)

Racetrac, Quiktrip, Sheetz, Loves, etc etc.

I never even think about searching out a TT station. If I'm at one when traveling, big yippee (not really). But I do stick to bigger stations, since we generally travel these days with a 30 foot trailer in tow and I want easy in/out. We tow with a high-strung turbo motor and as long as I can find 91/93 I'm happy, TT makes no difference to me.

My wife and I will be taking an approximately 5200 mile trip soon in her 2023 VW Taos. This will be the first road trip of any distance for this vehicle as it is normally her gym-mobile, grocery getter, etc..... Close to home filling up with Top Tier gas is not an issue, however when we are on the road we can't always fill up with Top Tier so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use an additive every other tank or so while on the trip. If we were driving my Toyota I wouldn't be as concerned, but this Taos is a moody gal about fuel, especially 87 octane fuels, so I tend to always go higher octane and try to stick with either Marathon or Shell since it seems to like those brands a bit better. Again though, while traveling I can't always get a Top Tier brand so I thought about doing the additive thing in the Taos for this trip. What are everyone's thoughts on my every other tank additive plan?

As an FYI I have used Techron Complete for years now in all manner of vehicles just before an oil change, so that is likely what I would use on this trip. That said I don't currently have any on hand, and have read good things about both Redline SI-1 and Royal Purple Max Clean so I wanted to get some opinions on those products as well since I might be using something on this trip.

You should be ok if you just fill up with top tier when you can on your trip. Even if not at all you’re still filling with top tier regularly at home.
You could just pour a bottle of Techron in after you get back from your trip or on the last fill up of your trip home to clean a bit extra for peace of mind.
I do consecutive tanks once a year. One with b12 chemtool then 1 with Techron or gum out just for good measure. Don’t always use top tier but usually.

A TT station that sees a 5K tanker every 6 months is worse than a high traffic non-TT station. I swear my truck runs better on FS 87 octane fuel than the local Shell, BP or Phillips 66 87 TT fuel.

Just fill up at a station that gets good traffic where chances of getting old gas are very low.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^

It's amazing how well marketing works. If you're traveling, and you buy fuel close to most any Interstate route, they're going to see a lot of traffic.

That means they sell a lot of gas. So you are going to be getting fresh fuel. That's more important than some sticker on the pump telling you how wonderful their gas is.

I agree with everyone above.

If your not convinced, then just buy a couple cans of techron and add a small amount each fill.

Given the amount of stations that come on and off the "top tier" program, I don't believe their formulation changes at all. The US fuel industry is very well regulated. No one sells bad gas - not from the distribution center at least.

If you live in an area with sketchy gas, you already know it. Amarillo TX comes to mind. OP, its good that you are OCD, there are plenty of OCD folks here. Welcome to the forum. Good luck.

I just look for a Murphys and fill up and move on..

Back