Walmart Everstart Maxx Battery Fails After 20-Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critic, doesn't the Maxx have a three year free replacement warranty?

I wonder how they test the CCA with the battery at a temperature much higher than CCA refers to.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Out of curiosity, how long does the car sit at any one time, and how long of a drive is your typical use?

I'd stick an ammeter in series with the battery when everything is turned off - report your parasitic draw back to us. It may provide valuable insight.

Also, how is the drive belt and tensioner? You can't move moles of electrons without providing sufficient mechanical input.

Since the beginning of September, it sees a 15 mile highway round trip every morning. During the day, it rarely sits for more than a few hours at a time. I'll check on the parasitic draw when I work on the car this Thursday.

As for the serpentine belt and tensioner, the tensioner and belt were replaced about 33,000 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I bet if you find the build date on the battery and do the math from your purchase date, that thing sat on a shelf or in a warehouse for a while in between.

The failed battery was two months old when I purchased it. I bought it in June 2007 and it was an April 2007 build. It was the freshest one that they had in-stock. This time, the replacement battery had a December 2008 build date. The stock at this Walmart was fresher because it had a TLE, so they go through a lot more batteries.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

I wonder how they test the CCA with the battery at a temperature much higher than CCA refers to.

They use a Midtronics conductance tester. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but supposedly it's the preferred method of battery testing.

The Maxx does have a three year free replacement warranty, so they confirmed the failure with their tester and swapped it out for me in the Walmart parking lot. Beware, they now require a receipt for all battery warranty claims. Good thing I had the receipt in the battery pouch.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Donald
The Everstart battery in my 2001 Jeep Cherokee has a cover for the cells that is just one long flat cover from one end of the battery to the other end, but does have kind of a tab at each end. Any ideas on who made this battery?

Delphi. They thought it was a clever idea to go with permanent vent caps a.k.a non-serviceable battery.

As far as I can remember, GM factory OEM Delphi batteries were trouble, especially because of the side-posts. (Leaks)

So if Delphi is no longer making batteries, and was sold to Johnson Controls, but they (JC) make them with removable caps then who did make this battery?

A conductance test is only one test - a quick check of go/no go. It is good and useful.

Checking the actual available amperage is another story, and the battery needs to be fully and properly charged.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Out of curiosity, how long does the car sit at any one time, and how long of a drive is your typical use?

I'd stick an ammeter in series with the battery when everything is turned off - report your parasitic draw back to us. It may provide valuable insight.

Also, how is the drive belt and tensioner? You can't move moles of electrons without providing sufficient mechanical input.

Typically if you go back to the same Walmart you bought the battery from, they will have the vehicle in the computer. You may need a receipt going to a different Walmart.
Since the beginning of September, it sees a 15 mile highway round trip every morning. During the day, it rarely sits for more than a few hours at a time. I'll check on the parasitic draw when I work on the car this Thursday.

As for the serpentine belt and tensioner, the tensioner and belt were replaced about 33,000 miles ago.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I bet if you find the build date on the battery and do the math from your purchase date, that thing sat on a shelf or in a warehouse for a while in between.

The failed battery was two months old when I purchased it. I bought it in June 2007 and it was an April 2007 build. It was the freshest one that they had in-stock. This time, the replacement battery had a December 2008 build date. The stock at this Walmart was fresher because it had a TLE, so they go through a lot more batteries.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

They use a Midtronics conductance tester. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but supposedly it's the preferred method of battery testing.

The Maxx does have a three year free replacement warranty, so they confirmed the failure with their tester and swapped it out for me in the Walmart parking lot. Beware, they now require a receipt for all battery warranty claims. Good thing I had the receipt in the battery pouch.

So if Delphi is no longer making batteries, and was sold to Johnson Controls, but they (JC) make them with removable caps then who did make this battery?

Delphi stopped making batteries within the last year or two. They had a battery plant in NJ that Johnson Controls closed.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

Delphi stopped making batteries within the last year or two. They had a battery plant in NJ that Johnson Controls closed.

The Walmart Everstart battery in my Jeep is very new, has a date on it of Oct or Nov 2008. Still curious as to who made it.

Could be Exide. I've seen some Exide batteries without removeable vent caps at Wal-Mart. Does it say where it's made? If Korea, it could be a Delkor battery.

Never had any issues with Everstarts. Wal-Mart has a good return/warranty policy though.

Originally Posted By: Mau
Honda (Panasonic) battery's FTW

Absolutely...

but show me where you can get one, other than stealing it from a new car in a lot.

So if the OEM battery will last 7-8 years why cannot one get a replacement that will also last 7-8 years. Or is that just the high priced batteries like Interstate?

The Walmart Everstart battery in my Jeep is very new, has a date on it of Oct or Nov 2008. Still curious as to who made it.

My new one says made by Johnson Controls on the label. Check by the barcode.

Used to follow the comings and goings of Exide very closely when I eld a lot of their stock. Got out without losing too much, but from what I recall, there was such a difference in quality in Exide between their top shelf line- (?OEM?) and the ones they sell to the public, that I would never touch their product again. When Exide took the Die Hard account from JC, DieHards were failing left and right.
FWIW replaced the 2 year old Interstate battery in the 95 Corvette with an EverStart Maxx last March-car may only get used once per week (at least 20 miles driven) and just over the last 2 weeks, it is not turning over as rapidly as before-not even ""cold" out.
The battery in the 02 Corvette died yesterday- picked up a Die Hard Gold for $115. Checked out the AC batteries (size 75) and they were of equal price, but the Die Hard had 70 more CCA in the same size, so I chose it.
We'll see

Steve

That is an awesome machine, was that the EXP-1000, I am still experimenting with one with very good results. The SOC is state of charge or how well the battery is holding up charge, so although it scored high on the CCA test, a cell is either shorted or going bad causing pre-mature signs of failure. Hard to detect on cold starts as the battery is able to provide CCA for the starter, at 39F ambient my SC2 takes 138A cold start, my SL1 takes 139A, values stay the same after engine warms up. The H or health indicates the overall health of the battery, I believe this is the actual internal resistance and other parameters. Had you had a classical load test performed the battery may have passed with flying colors. These testers are extremely good in predicting battery failure in the beginning stages.

Your charging and starting is fine, the ripple effect is used to troubleshoot early charging problems before they develop into something very serious. Load test on the alternator confirms that all three phases are working fine, an alternator can have one or two fazes fail thus produce 2/3 or 1/3 of its rated output and look fine to the average user.

Starting is fine as well, today we use mainly permanent magnet motors but older types with brushes would have to have periodic maintenance performed on the comutators, but that is still a good test to have.

I’ve had a bad experience with Everlast when it developed an internal short after 6mo of use without any prior warning, of course this was prior to knowing that you can actually test a battery and its health.

I would love to attack your battery with my 3 dollar temperature compensated hydrometer to confirm my results.

After driving to a place and a passing charging system you would expect the battery to have a 80% or higher SOH, so that battery is on its way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back