Walmart Store Brand EverStart batteries - Do they typically last 5 years or do they need frequent replacement?

In Texas the avg age for a battery is 3-4 years and the EverStarts last that long just as all the rest.
I learned having nice tight and CLEAN battery terminals was the key to making them last. All the times autozone swapped out batteries on my diesel that were only 2-2.5 years old I think were just dirty terminals.

In Texas the avg age for a battery is 3-4 years and the EverStarts last that long just as all the rest.
I put new batteries in my boat around the end of 2019. They still start fine. I think a boat battery probably has the easiest life assuming you keep it charged

I just removed my Everstart Max after just under 7 years and replaced it with another EverStart Max. Both were maintenance types with removable caps. I added fluid every fall. This is a cooler environment and it’s only hot for two months of the year. Suppliers vary but I guess they all sign a contract to honour the 3 year free replacement guarantee. It’s not Walmart giving out a replacement battery. I imagine they bill back to the original supplier. This one was “ made in USA with US and imported materials”. YRMV.

Last edited:
I just removed my Everstart Max after just under 7 years and replaced it with another EverStart Max. Both were maintenance types with removable caps. I added fluid every fall. This is a cooler environment and it’s only hot for two months of the year. Suppliers vary but I guess they all sign a contract to honour the 3 year free replacement guarantee. It’s not Walmart giving out a replacement battery. I imagine they bill back to the original supplier. This one was “ made in USA with US and imported materials”. YRMV.
Yeah imo it's not uncommon up north. Your driving habbits also play a part. My truck has a hot engine bay from 9am until 10 or 11pm so that takes a toll in them. I never do bother adding water though, Bern meaning to check the level the last couple months but always forget.

anything made by East Penn/Deka

I decided to seek out Dekas after the 24-month full replacement Interstate in DW's tiny econo commuter (now my car) left her stranded twice, at 23.X months of age, in fall 2020. She paid dearly ($160) for that battery at the local mechanic. They told her it would be a great battery. Charged her labor to install it. I got it to them two days past the 24th month. They tested it bad and quoted me $160 for the replacement. I scoffed. They explained it was a great deal because of the pro-rated warranty credit on the old one and they weren't going to charge labor. Wretched thieves. They had increased the "list" price on the battery to cancel out the pro rated credit. I asked him why the 3 year battery was $90 at walmart and his $160 brick hadn't managed two years. He shrugged and said there wasn't anything he could do. Interstate sets the terms and parks their batteries in shops on consignment. I went elsewhere.

The Fisher/Federated chain in my area carries East Penn. So one went in that car. It was their "Platinum" 3 year.

Easy start of a 2.0 I-4 every day and then 16 miles each way to charge, five days a week. It got weak going into its third winter, but hung valiantly. It stranded me prior to the fourth winter, at 35 months of service. It didn't even try to pass the load test when I took it back for replacement.

Our second 'East Penn Platinum" is in my wife's car, at 26 months now. We shall see. It replaced an Everstart Maxx that lasted over five years.

My last truck had almost 6 years on a weak Everstart Maxx when I sold it. Battery in my BMW was getting weak, but over 8 years and still managing when I sold the car. I hate playing the crappy battery game but I'm going back to Everstarts if my second East Penn / Deka doesn't turn out well and my warranties are all played out. Local WM doesn't have an auto center so they take your word when you say it's dead and you want a replacement. Less of a hassle that way.

Last edited:
Thank the ambulance chaser that sued them for ruining that.
I wouldn't harp on a lawyer for going after them if they jack up the replacement price on something advertised as "Free replacement" and making the customer pay the difference. In fact I'd applaud them for doing what the rest of us may not have time to fight for.

I put new batteries in my boat around the end of 2019. They still start fine. I think a boat battery probably has the easiest life assuming you keep it charged
" Keep it charged " ... that's the key . I've seen way too many fisherman bring their boat home from a fishing trip and just park it . The day before their next trip they go out and hook up the charger . Then they complain because their 5 yr battery is only lasting 3 yrs ... if that .

I decided to seek out Dekas after the 24-month full replacement Interstate in DW's tiny econo commuter (now my car) left her stranded twice, at 23.X months of age, in fall 2020. She paid dearly ($160) for that battery at the local mechanic. They told her it would be a great battery. Charged her labor to install it. I got it to them two days past the 24th month. They tested it bad and quoted me $160 for the replacement. I scoffed. They explained it was a great deal because of the pro-rated warranty credit on the old one and they weren't going to charge labor. Wretched thieves. They had increased the "list" price on the battery to cancel out the pro rated credit. I asked him why the 3 year battery was $90 at walmart and his $160 brick hadn't managed two years. He shrugged and said there wasn't anything he could do. Interstate sets the terms and parks their batteries in shops on consignment. I went elsewhere.

The Fisher/Federated chain in my area carries East Penn. So one went in that car. It was their "Platinum" 3 year.

Easy start of a 2.0 I-4 every day and then 16 miles each way to charge, five days a week. It got weak going into its third winter, but hung valiantly. It stranded me prior to the fourth winter, at 35 months of service. It didn't even try to pass the load test when I took it back for replacement.

Our second 'East Penn Platinum" is in my wife's car, at 26 months now. We shall see. It replaced an Everstart Maxx that lasted over five years.

My last truck had almost 6 years on a weak Everstart Maxx when I sold it. Battery in my BMW was getting weak, but over 8 years and still managing when I sold the car. I hate playing the crappy battery game but I'm going back to Everstarts if my second East Penn / Deka doesn't turn out well and my warranties are all played out. Local WM doesn't have an auto center so they take your word when you say it's dead and you want a replacement. Less of a hassle that way.
I’ve gotten 7 years from a AAA-branded Deka in my parent’s car. 5.5 years out of a O’Reilly branded Deka AGM. One battery has been replaced with a Mexican Clarios AGM, the other got another Deka.

Some cars are worst offenders with batteries. Honda and Subaru are some of them. I never touched a Honda that gotten more than 3 years out of a battery.

I’ve gotten 7 years from a AAA-branded Deka in my parent’s car. 5.5 years out of a O’Reilly branded Deka AGM. One battery has been replaced with a Mexican Clarios AGM, the other got another Deka.

Some cars are worst offenders with batteries. Honda and Subaru are some of them. I never touched a Honda that gotten more than 3 years out of a battery.
yup that's the way it was with my civic (1996), wonder if they were playing those fuel economy games back then keeping a battery undercharged like they do today. Batteries only lasted 3 to 3.5years until they were dead. I know that when I replaced it with an aftermarket alternator that charged higher amps at lower rpms (test sheet was included with the part) then the battery lasted a lot longer.. that same battery is about 5 years old now!!

I wouldn't harp on a lawyer for going after them if they jack up the replacement price on something advertised as "Free replacement" and making the customer pay the difference. In fact I'd applaud them for doing what the rest of us may not have time to fight for.
No, you were getting a better deal by having them refund you and buying a new battery with a new warranty. Costco's pricing is pretty consistent and the pricing increases were just over time, so if the price increased it was probably because a significant amount of time elapsed from your last purchase, if I could return a battery I bought 2 years ago and get a new one with a new 3 year warranty for like $10 after the return, I'd be estatic.

WRT the car I mentioned, I would agree, except that it had gone 6+ years on the factory Mazda battery. They tested without my wife asking (she was already there, overpaying for an horrible set of tires) advised her to replace, and then the interstate that didn’t make it two years.

WRT the car I mentioned, I would agree, except that it had gone 6+ years on the factory Mazda battery. They tested without my wife asking (she was already there, overpaying for an horrible set of tires) advised her to replace, and then the interstate that didn’t make it two years.
Was this the Mazda dealer or elsewhere?

My Fit has an Auto Zone replacement battery and it is still good after 8 years. The Fit comes with 151R lawnmower battery so it doesn’t hold charge well but daily or frequent driving will keep it charged. I do have a giant Caterpillar jump box and a 30-foot jump cable and we have AAA so I am just going to keep it in as long as it keeps holding charge and starts every morning. The last week or so we have 10 degree morning and it starts fine, slower end temp is above 40 degree but it starts without much fuss even though the car parks outside.

If you have Costco, get battery there as it is much cheaper than Walmart and same if not better quality. And go with the largest size possible if you have space beyond group 24.

This reminds me of how long the tiny Panasonic battery lasted in my '05 Forester. 7 years before it got too weak in cold weather, perfectly fine above that though.
The built-in rechargeable battery in my Panasonic shaver lasted from 1997 to 2019. I could never find Panasonic-label car battery locally or I would by one.

I need to buy a battery soon for a 2006 Honda Odyssey (size 24F).
I did some research on other threads on BITOG which discussed that car batteries are lasting less and less time due to the poor quality recycled lead being used in them due to lead availability.

I noticed Walmart has a store brand (Everstart) battery in different price points.
$60: Everstart Value: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ize-24F-12-Volt-585-CCA/47308797?athbdg=L1102
$120: Everstart Maxx: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...-Battery-Group-Size-24F/28275657?athbdg=L1102

The reviews on Walmart's website are mixed, some say they last 6+ years, others say they only lasted a week.
Trying to figure out if the bad reviews were from people who might have had a parasitic drain and blamed it on the battery.

How many years would be a reasonable expectation for a Walmart brand Everstart battery to last?

Has anyone came across an outstanding car battery brand that had exceeded their expectations for the # of years it lasted,
or even point me in the direction of the best brand to buy based on reputation?

I'm looking for a car battery that would last 5+ years without needing to use the warranty.

Thanks,
Bill
How many "it died in a week" are bad alternators but they replaced the battery because they didn't test the charging system? That would be my question for those reviews.

........I did some research on other threads on BITOG which discussed that car batteries are lasting less and less time due to the poor quality recycled lead being used in them due to lead availability......
I think there are multiple reasons why batteries apparently have a shorter lifespan than in the "good old days". But it makes sense that lead purity has an effect on lifespan. I would expect a $70 lead acid automotive battery to be constructed from a lower cost, lower grade of recycled lead or refined lead (from lead ore) than a $200 battery. I don't believe recycled lead is always inferior to refined lead.

Some information from East Penn Manufacturing:

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 8.47.17 PM.png

The-Story-of-Pure-Lead-2442.pdf

Last edited:
coming up in a month on 5 years with the GF's Everstart Maxx...no issues...around ChicagoLand the Walmart Everstart Maxx and the Costco Interstate are the same battery (look the same, same CA/CCA/RC) and have had Clarios on the label...

I have bought or helped others buy about 8 or more batteries since 2019 and I usually shop Walmart against Costco with Menard's ACD batteries thrown in but they are a different maker for best price...it isn't always Costco but usually within a buck of each other...Costco used to have the better warranty but that is no longer the case since July of 2023...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

coming up in a month on 5 years with the GF's Everstart Maxx...no issues...around ChicagoLand the Walmart Everstart Maxx and the Costco Interstate are the same battery (look the same, same CA/CCA/RC) and have had Clarios on the label...

I have bought or helped others buy about 8 or more batteries since 2019 and I usually shop Walmart against Costco with Menard's ACD batteries thrown in but they are a different maker for best price...it isn't always Costco but usually within a buck of each other...Costco used to have the better warranty but that is no longer the case since July of 2023...

Good luck with your choice

Bill
What do you think of the Walmart Everstart Value 24F battery for 69.74 at Walmart. Some people have said they thought it was the same battery as the Everstart Maxx (just without the long warranty). Would it have the same real world longevity (5+ years) as the Everstart Maxx?

What do you think of the Walmart Everstart Value 24F battery for 69.74 at Walmart. Some people have said they thought it was the same batter as the Everstart Maxx (just without the long warranty).
In your neck of the woods, do the serial numbers start with EP? If so, great battery

Back