Walmart Store Brand EverStart batteries - Do they typically last 5 years or do they need frequent replacement?

What do you think of the Walmart Everstart Value 24F battery for 69.74 at Walmart. Some people have said they thought it was the same battery as the Everstart Maxx (just without the long warranty). Would it have the same real world longevity (5+ years) as the Everstart Maxx?
I have a Value line that is pushing 4 years old, but it's in a truck that doesn't get driven a lot, gets charged every month or two, and is in a mild climate. It was $56 when I bought it.

What do you think of the Walmart Everstart Value 24F battery for 69.74 at Walmart. Some people have said they thought it was the same battery as the Everstart Maxx (just without the long warranty). Would it have the same real world longevity (5+ years) as the Everstart Maxx?

Bill7, the Everstart Value 24F (1 yr. warranty) is physically the same as the mid-level Everstart Plus battery (2 yr. warranty). Both have 600 CCA and weigh the same. The top-of-the-line Everstart Maxx (3 yr. warranty) has 750 CCA and is heavier. The Maxx is identical to the Duracell and Deka labeled East Penn batteries.

a quick search notes east penn battery plant is located in berks county PA + is the largest single location for battery production, 520 acres!! so its unlikely they supply wally stores in calif but i am about 60 miles away as well as MANY wallys so location means a lot!! of course CHINA is not close to anything in USA but stuff is made soooo cheaply with labor to match + almost NO rules for pollution they can sell CHEEP-CHEEP!!!

a quick search notes east penn battery plant is located in berks county PA + is the largest single location for battery production, 520 acres!! so its unlikely they supply wally stores in calif but i am about 60 miles away as well as MANY wallys so location means a lot!! of course CHINA is not close to anything in USA but stuff is made soooo cheaply with labor to match + almost NO rules for pollution they can sell CHEEP-CHEEP!!!
East Penn pretty much only does the Northeast and maybe a little further down on the east coast, I think most of Walmart in the Central US is supplied by Clarios, California these days is usually Hyundai or Atlas-Hankook

Bill7, the Everstart Value 24F (1 yr. warranty) is physically the same as the mid-level Everstart Plus battery (2 yr. warranty). Both have 600 CCA and weigh the same. The top-of-the-line Everstart Maxx (3 yr. warranty) has 750 CCA and is heavier. The Maxx is identical to the Duracell and Deka labeled East Penn batteries.
Maybe... I've noticed WM spec errors before. Is this group 65, really 5.95 x 5.85 x 7.71 Inches?! (No.)

if it's the "Same" battery, check the amp specs and the weight. if they're identical then yup it would be the same battery.. But I don't think they're the same. Personally I'd take the chance on a $70 battery, I'd use the battery tester I have before buying (make sure to get a good one) and then charge it up on the battery tender, then pop it in. I never could find a group 24 everstart value for the scion, only could find the maxx. I'm not complaining but it would've been nice to save a little $$.

EDIT: I posted after others already wrote in.. so yup looks like the value and plus are the same specs/weight, the maxx is different.

Maybe... I've noticed WM spec errors before. Is this group 65, really 5.95 x 5.85 x 7.71 Inches?! (No.)

that is definitely not the size of a group 65.. here's the picture of the link you gave.. this is more like it

38c0d922-8e0b-4b5d-9d32-290c3829476a.2ae1c95d050faaa5307bef84c2524a87.jpeg

I do not think they are the same battery but who knows...I wouldn't count on one to last 5+ years...

Good luck,

Bill

Some depends on what company actually manufactures the battery, where you live (Texas not so good for batteries but Minnesota would be) and if a short tripper or not. And if you check the cell levels.

I just had to replace the Everstart Maxx that was in my 98 Chevy K3500 last month and it was not even three years old yet. It still started the truck fine but I was testing out a new battery tester on it and it showed that it was bad. I tested it with another tester I had and it showed it was bad as well. Walmart tested it for warranty purposes and it tested good the first time and after they immediately did a second test on it, it tested bad.
I just had to replace the Everstart plus battery in my fiancé's son's 2008 Ford Focus the other day and it was a few months over four years old.

I went to Walmart yesterday and saw that the Everstart Value, Plus and Maxx batteries in that store had been switched to a new type. Previously, they had removable caps and had a plastic strap for lifting. The new ones are completely sealed and have two swing up plastic handles and also have a magic eye hydrometer on the top. I'm guessing they are now provided Exide?

I did the heft test on the three different types and and it did seem like the Value and Plus batteries where about the same weight whereas the Maxx battery was a bit heavier.

I looked at Walmart yesterday when I was there and the lower tier Everstart batteries do not have the same CA/CCA/RC as the higher tier ones have...I doubt that Walmart's battery supplier just plays with those numbers so they will not be the same battery...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

I looked at Walmart yesterday when I was there and the lower tier Everstart batteries do not have the same CA/CCA/RC as the higher tier ones have...I doubt that Walmart's battery supplier just plays with those numbers so they will not be the same battery...

Good luck with your choice

Bill
its very strange how they market them.
24f

valuepower 600
everstart value 585
plus 600
max 700

its very strange how they market them.
24f

valuepower 600
everstart value 585
plus 600
max 700
The info on the Walmart website is way outdated in regards to their current line of 24F batteries actually on the shelf in their brick and mortar stores. As of 2024:

ValuePower 600 was discontinued ~2022 and relabeled as Everstart Value (600 CCA w/1 yr. warranty)

Everstart Plus (600 CCA w/2 yr. warranty)

Everstart Maxx (725 CCA w/3 yr. warranty)

Everstart Platinum AGM (710 CCA w/4 yr. warranty)

See photos in Post #29 in this BITOG thread:

EVERSTART 24F BATTERIES

Back