Valvoline vs Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use all pennzoil in all the family/friends cars I do ranging from pyb to ultra depending on needs and oci. It gives me peace of mind with Pennzoil slogan being focused on maximum cleaning cause overtime everything gets old and dirty. Honestly SN Pyb is VERY impressive for a cheap(er) oil. Imo one of the best oils for the money.

Dakir,

I was looking to do the same. I have three vehicles I am trying to square away, and I wanted to keep everything consistent. I was looking to use all the fluids from the same company too. ATF Fluid, brake fluid, exc.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
Dakir,

I was looking to do the same. I have three vehicles I am trying to square away, and I wanted to keep everything consistent. I was looking to use all the fluids from the same company too. ATF Fluid, brake fluid, exc.

honestly I just did full flushes of three cars with Valvoline maxlife atf, peak 50/50 coolant, prestone synthetic dot 4 brake fluid and supertech power steering. I wouldn't be brand based for everything lol. Pennzoil makes amazing oil but I never used any of their other products. Any fresh fluid is going to beat out old, worn out fluid IMO. :)

Edit: valvoline maxlife atf is VERY good fluid for the money. If you have gears getting rough in your tranny lubegard red results are unbelievable.

Last edited:
If I were to choose:
high mileage: Maxlife (It's usually pricier that other high mileage oils though)
conventional: Pennzoil, Mobil Super, Havoline (whatever is on sale or what I feel like)
Synthetic: Ultra, Platinum, M1 (depends on weight I want to use/whichever is cheaper)

Last edited:
Check out the voa section and PYB with TBN of 8.8 and a boat load of moly. Me I like the bang for the buck PYB gives. Valvoline always seems to just supply the minimum, not anything extra except more money at times. Either way splitting hairs.

I am just starting to see, that people either like Valvoline, or Pennzoil. Everyone seems to state, that Valvoline has hidden stuff, that does not show up on UOA. So, I do not know, as I am no oil expert. I do really like the idea of NextGen, but worry about its long term protection, since people are stating Pennzoil has a better additive, and wear protection capabilities.

I am just starting to see, that people either like Valvoline, or Pennzoil. Everyone seems to state, that Valvoline has hidden stuff, that does not show up on UOA. So, I do not know, as I am no oil expert. I do really like the idea of NextGen, but worry about its long term protection, since people are stating Pennzoil has a better additive, and wear protection capabilities.

Maxlife regular or nextgen are good oils for cars who consume oil. Pyb is cheaper and overall a better oil IMO. Like others said new SN pyb is a stunner for a cheap dino. Id give it a try if I were you.

Originally Posted By: Dakir

Maxlife regular or nextgen are good oils for cars who consume oil. Pyb is cheaper and overall a better oil IMO. Like others said new SN pyb is a stunner for a cheap dino. Id give it a try if I were you.

What he said and even give QSGB a whirl-related to PYB and also gives good results. As everybody has stated on this topic all mentioned oils are good. Buy the cheaper or what's on sale of those and run with it.

97 Prk.Ave.-5-30 QSGB and Wix filter
91 Dakota 4x4-5-30 QSGB and Wix filter
03 Corolla-5-30 QSUD and Wix filter

Noshow 13,

Why do you lean towards Pennzoil over Valvoline?

My Chevy seems to run smoother on Pennzoil & QS, & the Jeep seems to like it too.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Castrol and to a lesser extent Valvoline don't get a lot of love on here but that's the biggest load of garbage I think I've ever seen posted.

It's the same way over on iatn.net.

Like I stated before I probably use either one if needed. But another great Dino is Mobil Super 5000, it's been showing some great UOA's on this site.

Before this BITOG I liked Valvoline(mainly because of the old saying of Pennzoil) but now PYB especially with the new SN formula. For some reason I just can't get past knowing there is sodium running around in my older vehicles engines from the Valvoline. Maybe I'm crazy but I dunno. My old truck is really doing well on the QSHM and seems to run smoother(opinion).

Never been a Valvoline fan.

SOPUS (Pennzoil/ Quaker State / Shell) or Mobil products have excellent reputations and the performance to back it up. They are easily available and good deals on sale often and have rebates from time to time.

Last edited:
Flip a coin. Two very good oil brands.

Their synthetic offerings have only recently been of higher quality because of the demand for synthetics. Most of their earlier synthetic oils were not that good. Similar to a Castrol Syntec level.

I think Valvoline makes the best High Mileage oils. Pennzoil seems to have the lowest wear/cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
One thing I learned over the years being here is that there is a lot of hyperbole around certain oil brands. Anything Pennzoil just gets a free pass. Mention Castrol or Valvoline and the story changes dramatically.

In reality, if you have an application that requires regular API certified oil, with no other special requirements, you can choose your oil blindfolded. It will be just as good of a choice as picking the most recommended oil on this board. So I would pick what is cheaper.

+2, Actually you could choose four or five different name brand oils blindfolded, put them all in your car at the same time and you'd be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back