Valvoline vs Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 98 Mercury Sable with the DOHC engine that had a steady diet of Valvoline WB @ 3K oci for the 140,000 miles that I owned it, and it was problem free. Never switched to Max Life because I never felt like I had to.

Now, having learned lots on BITOG, I am going with longer OCIs and experimenting with other oils. 5k runs in the Kia on Valvoline products seem to have done well. Pennz Plat has been nice, and will be in for at least 7k. I have some NextGen and QSUD that waiting for the next oil changes, so we'll see how that goes. (I got both for almost free with MIRs) And after that, I may try PYB next summer (2013).

Long story short: I have run, and would run either Valvoline or Pennzoil products. I have had no issues with either.

You can still get the 20.00 MIR on QSUD, through the end of the month. I picked mine up at wallmart, where it sells locally for 20.57. Talk about a cheap oil change!

From one of my friends on another car forum:

Originally Posted By: XYZ;796896
If it were my car I wouldn't be running that.

Castrol (as well as Valvoline) has had a recent history of not passing all of the specs they claim to "exceed".

Based on their product data sheets, the oil is slightly thicker than other brands at both hot and cold, and the colder it gets the thicker it is. Their 5w20 is actually much thicker at very, very cold temps than their 5w30.

It could be draining out of the vtc actuator more easily. It could be as simple as that. or not.

I'd be looking at the following oils:

Shell and their sister brands, Pennzoil and Quaker State. (both are owned by Shell)
The Shell oil is usually less expensive, but just as good.
Motorcraft Semi Syn 5w20 and other ConocoPhillips oils. It seems now that's who makes MC oil, as well as Honda's US factory fill and dealer oil.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
How can we judge them when there both quality oil`s? It comes down to personal preference and thats about it.

Agree with this! Used Valvoline for years and put just about 300,000 miles on the vehicles that used it. No oil related issues. Went to QSGB because of recommendations and price--3 to 4 bucks a jug cheaper and good specs. Use QSUD also at great price and good specs. Ran Havoline also--try that, it's a good dino at a good price. I change oil in a few vehicles in my family so saving money on jugs of oil pays off in the long run.

Last edited:
I'd vote with your wallet......secondary, to the used oil analysis....both have great pros and cons. I know Valvoline MaxLife is a very good oil for use in engines with heavy oil consumption.....and many people have had good results with it....

Great responses so far! Any opinions on the Nextgen products, and their qualities compared with PYB, Gold, Rotella Products? Thanks for all the help guys!

Originally Posted By: Since1941
Great responses so far! Any opinions on the Nextgen products, and their qualities compared with PYB, Gold, Rotella Products? Thanks for all the help guys!

Supposed to be the same formulation as the WB.

I definitely agree with the others that say as long as the oil is API and or ILSAC approved with the latest certifications you really can't get a poor oil today.

I say whatever is cheapest with those certifications.

That being said it is interesting to look at the oil analysis that PQIA does and see what specific additives are in each oil. It is important to note that it is also true that not all additives will show up in a basic analysis like those done by PQIA.

Some of the additives may make the oil more effective longer so you could add a couple or few extra k miles between changes especially when it comes to dino only oil.

I particularly pay attention to the cleaning agents like Boron which are more effective than other chemicals.

Last edited:
You named the two dinos I consider to be at the head of the class, you won't go wrong with either.

If you're big on additives that show up in a cheap analysis, PYB is the way to go. If you look at results, Valvoline shines as one of the best lubes going. It does especially well in engines known for shedding a lot of iron IMO.

Win - win really.

As far as NextGen goes, Valvoline hints that it's a shade better than it's traditional counterparts so I'd use it in a heartbeat. There have been quite a few deals available on NextGen too.

KC,

In reference to this comment "If you're big on additives that show up in a cheap analysis, PYB is the way to go" do you mean that the analysis is not a reliable way to check? Also, do you have a preference in oil? My brother has an '07 Wrangler, and he runs the Maxlife Nextgen lately I found out. He says when he changes the oil it runs really good, but towards the end the truck doesn't run as smooth. He also said, when he dumps the oil it is black. Do you think the oil quality may not be as good as a PYB, or maybe the additives wore out fast? This may not be enought info, but I was just given this info, and thought I would put it out there. He has babied the truck, and all oil changes at 3k. He has 102,000 miles. I am just using this as an example. I have a 95 Jeep to put oil in, and also a '11 Nissan Titan. So, I would like to stick to one brand of fluids, and oil. Thanks again! Christopher

Both show good results in UOAs.
Either would do well in your car.
I'm running some of each in various cars.
I had a very good UOA using Plat in the older Accord, and sometime around the end of the summer, I'll UOA the Forester's third run of Synpower.
I'd use either brand without hesitation, and the same is true of any API licensed oil.

I've always liked Valvoline, regardless of what a UOA or VOA shows it to be. PYB seems very good on paper too.
I'd go with either without a blinking an eye. I'm finding Valvoline to be a little more expensive here then the Penn. Find a sale on one and go for it.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
KC,

In reference to this comment "If you're big on additives that show up in a cheap analysis, PYB is the way to go" do you mean that the analysis is not a reliable way to check? Also, do you have a preference in oil? My brother has an '07 Wrangler, and he runs the Maxlife Nextgen lately I found out. He says when he changes the oil it runs really good, but towards the end the truck doesn't run as smooth. He also said, when he dumps the oil it is black. Do you think the oil quality may not be as good as a PYB, or maybe the additives wore out fast? This may not be enought info, but I was just given this info, and thought I would put it out there. He has babied the truck, and all oil changes at 3k. He has 102,000 miles. I am just using this as an example. I have a 95 Jeep to put oil in, and also a '11 Nissan Titan. So, I would like to stick to one brand of fluids, and oil. Thanks again! Christopher

No, VOA's and UOA's are very interesting and a lot of good info from them, you just can't bet the farm on them. PYB looks great that way (and it is) but Valvoline is thought to have additives that don't show up in them, and the results strongly support that belief. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Both great oils.

I do have a preference in oils, I like PYB, Valvoline and Rotella, that's why I laughed when you asked about PYB versus Valvoline, I really do think they're the best two PCMO dino's going these days. Rotella is an HDEO that also works well in gas vehicles, great for Jeeps!

I will tell you PYB is the made my Jeep quieter and smoother than anything else I've ever put in it. PYB is loaded with moly, I think that's the reason. Anyway, it's still a win - win for you, buy whichever is on sale and switch between them if you want, that's half the fun of being a BITOG'er!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
From one of my friends on another car forum:

Originally Posted By: XYZ;796896
If it were my car I wouldn't be running that.

Castrol (as well as Valvoline) has had a recent history of not passing all of the specs they claim to "exceed".

Based on their product data sheets, the oil is slightly thicker than other brands at both hot and cold, and the colder it gets the thicker it is. Their 5w20 is actually much thicker at very, very cold temps than their 5w30.

Castrol and to a lesser extent Valvoline don't get a lot of love on here but that's the biggest load of garbage I think I've ever seen posted.

I have used both Pennzoil & Valvoline, & would use either with no worries. Personally though, I do lean toward Pennzoil (& Quaker State), but would use Valvoline anytime. Use whatever is cheaper, or whatever you want to use, both are great. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back