Valvoline Restore & Protect

Does any other 'manufacturer' really deviate from that sort of typical marketing? Per all manufacturers, their oil is the best at everything.

Nope. I forget my exact quote in the other thread. But I essentially said that.

Valvoline - Restore and Protect!!
Mobil - Triple action!
Kendall - LiquidTek! (*** is liquidtek?)
Pennzoil - Ultra platinum!!
Castrol - 10x less wear! Anyone remember castrol “liquid engineering”?

Yeah. The marketing firms they pay for this stuff are all… well, they’re not in the oil business. And the retirement home that is most major oil company’s lubricants division, eat it all up.

My comment: don’t believe anyone’s marketing.

They all do it but Castrol seemed to be at the top of the heap for stupid with “Think with your dipstick Jimmy” and “Intelligent Molecules “. Despite that I used to run a fair bit of Castrol so maybe I’m the stooge.

I called them, they fixed it, $39.99 a jug. After the buy 2 get one free it comes to $26.66, Amazon is still cheaper at least for now..

Quality products, at a competitive price, with excellent service.

We are a service company. But every drop of fluid that leaves our doors literally has my name on it. So I take quality fairly seriously.
I take since you don't push your product on here, it's not for sale in small quantities. Only in bulk.

I take since you don't push your product on here, it's not for sale in small quantities. Only in bulk.

I’m just not on this site to sell anything. It’s not that I can’t sell things in small quantities or such. It’s just not why I’m here. When you have a vested interest in selling something, what you’re saying becomes work, not education. And what you’re saying becomes less valuable.

I’m just not on this site to sell anything. It’s not that I can’t sell things in small quantities or such. It’s just not why I’m here. When you have a vested interest in selling something, what you’re saying becomes work, not education. And what you’re saying becomes less valuable.
Big thumbs up Mr. L. :eek:

Nope. I forget my exact quote in the other thread. But I essentially said that.

Valvoline - Restore and Protect!!
Mobil - Triple action!
Kendall - LiquidTek! (*** is liquidtek?)
Pennzoil - Ultra platinum!!
Castrol - 10x less wear! Anyone remember castrol “liquid engineering”?

Yeah. The marketing firms they pay for this stuff are all… well, they’re not in the oil business. And the retirement home that is most major oil company’s lubricants division, eat it all up.

My comment: don’t believe anyone’s marketing.
But, but . . . wait, they (Big Oil) tell me that Mobiline Castzoil are super lubes that will keep my earth bound space ship (floats through the space over the highway on 31" wheels) in pristine shape for at least 200,000 miles without ever having to change anything . . .

( extreme attempt at tongue in cheek sarcasm, folks )

But, but . . . wait, they (Big Oil) tell me that Mobiline Castzoil are super lubes that will keep my earth bound space ship (floats through the space over the highway on 31" wheels) in pristine shape for at least 200,000 miles without ever having to change anything . . .

( extreme attempt at tongue in cheek sarcasm, folks )
0nly 31s? rookie
40s is minimum or its an economy car

Big thumbs up Mr. L. :eek:

I’m just quite literally an oil nerd, that grew up in the business, works every day in the business and vested time/energy/etc into learning more about the industry.

Sure, I see an extremely different perspective than 99.9% of people on here. But I share it, as much as possible, because I like the internet. You need thick skin, but I like sharing information. Sure you’ll get people “oh no it’s not like that! If you don’t do xyz it’s your funeral!” Well, whatever. If my opinion represented what we market, I’d be a shill. Not an educator. Sure, I’ll recommend a product by name, that I happen to know that works in that exact application. Say, a screw air compressor. Or a fire resistant hydraulic oil. Or a combined cycle turbine. Because I know it works in that application and have hands on experience. In situations like that it’s a little different than PCEO.

But with PCEO’s… motor oil… like, we all know it works. Doesn’t matter the brand as long as it meets spec. Just *how* you want it to work, is a different question and answer. Do you want the minimum? Then the minimum is enough for you. Do you want the absolute, no question best? There’s an answers there.

But when it comes to marketing like this… I’ll tell a story.

A major oil company’s “marketing” manager, came from their pipeline/mid stream division. As happens a lot of time, he was moved into the lubricants division for retirement. 2-3 years, then out.

He hired a marketing firm that consisted of ~5 very, very attractive young ladies that were, a little younger than me at the time. (I was ~32-33 for time reference. I’m 38 now.)

They asked me to consult on their website re-organization and marketing material… I was probably not very nice. But I got a sweet black camo pattern hat. That… you can’t even read the brand name on it. And I believe they ran some TV commercials that, to me, you’d have no idea they were about oil.

I don’t particularly think they were hired because they knew anything about marketing oil… or their customers… or listening to their customers… or listening to their distributors… I feel like they wanted to look “cool” more than get to the point of what they were trying to sell. And the rest you can fill the blanks in on why they were hired.

That’s just my take on it…

Stories like the above, are parts of the industry I see. And, will try to share within reason, when I have time and such. As well as my feed back through all my connections all over the place in every aspect from additives, to base oils, to blending and packaging. If people don’t believe me, no sweat from me. But, this would all become non sense if I was here to sell something. If I said “you gotta buy Kendall or else!!!” I’d be laughed out of here, because it’s simply not true. And anything else I say, becomes BS. Easy as that.

I prefer just to let my oil nerdery show, my insider knowledge share some experience, and now my developed expertise help people solve problems. Trying to sell something would become more of a nuisance to the site, and thus me.

Which is why I keep my “Brands” private, besides who I’m flagged with in terms of majors. And I’m very clear about that, such as why I use redline: it’s free for me. If it wasn’t, I probably wouldn’t. But free is for me.

Last edited:
I’m just quite literally an oil nerd, that grew up in the business, works every day in the business and vested time/energy/etc into learning more about the industry.

Sure, I see an extremely different perspective than 99.9% of people on here. But I share it, as much as possible, because I like the internet. You need thick skin, but I like sharing information. Sure you’ll get people “oh no it’s not like that! If you don’t do xyz it’s your funeral!” Well, whatever. If my opinion represented what we market, I’d be a shill. Not an educator. Sure, I’ll recommend a product by name, that I happen to know that works in that exact application. Say, a screw air compressor. Or a fire resistant hydraulic oil. Or a combined cycle turbine. Because I know it works in that application and have hands on experience. In situations like that it’s a little different than PCEO.
You make very salient points. The situation is the same regardless of the industry, and it's been that way since the concept of advertising originated. I remember one of Exxon's ancient ads: Put a tiger in your tank. Translation, our gasoline will make your car run like an Indy car. It was no different than Amoco, Sunoco, Gulf or Pure petrol.

In the early 1960s, there was a petrol station in our town called 'Working Man's Gas'. They bought up the overage from the fuel tankers that had big names on the side: Esso, Shell, Amoco, etc. The petrol all went into the same tank, and you'd pay over 5 cents a gallon less ( petrol averaged 25c a gallon or less at the time ).

I also used Sears Spectrum branded SAE 30 and later 10W-30 motor oil because it was less expensive than the big brands, and it worked. Amoco was supposedly the supplier, but it wasn't until Mobil-1 came out that I was told (via advertising) that the 170ci 6 cyl in my 1963 Ford Fairlane would die unless I used Mobil-1. I still used Sears oil until I sold it in 1974, yet the engine and drive train were as solid as ever. My 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle ran on NAPA brand 20W-50 ( supposedly Valvoline ) for over 30 years with no issues ever. My nephew bought the Bug @2005 and made a sand crawler out of it, and the engine and transaxle are still going strong albeit with a lot of mods. My 1992 Explorer ran for almost 300k miles on NAPA and Supertech 10W and later 5W-30. I sold it still running and not burning oil.

Having read MolaKule's home page writeup on oil processing (and pulling my head out of the blender), I can appreciate the GTL technology and the advantages it has. When on sale, I'll use Pennzoil Platinum. Otherwise it's whatever Walmart has on sale. I doubt my Jeep has noticed or ever will notice the difference.

"Restore & Protect can help clean intake valves. It is our highest-performing product in the Valvoline portfolio. While other Valvoline products focus on wear prevention, Restore & Protect couples wear protection while actively helping restore engine cleanliness and protect against future damage by dissolving engine-killing deposits, and meets the demanding requirements of turbo-charged and gasoline direct injected engines. This engine oil meets or exceeds all requirements of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN, Resource Conserving, and all preceding API and ILSAC gasoline categories."

This is really interesting news if true.
I believe since it help clean intake valve I believe this restore and protect just updated old version modern engine oil . But I will get restored and protect 1 then any other valvoline oil if I am paying full price.

I believe since it help clean intake valve I believe this restore and protect just updated old version modern engine oil . But I will get restored and protect 1 then any other valvoline oil if I am paying full price.
I been using Mobil 1 Advanced, on my next oil change I will be using Valvoline, Just not sure if I will use R&P or EP

Back