Valvoline Synpower or Schaeffer 7000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a Prius and have been using Valvoline Synpower 5W 20. Vehicle has 135,000 on it, and burns no oil. I change every 7,000 miles.

I keep hearing about Schaeffer's 7000 and how good it is, but some recent posts are saying it may not be as effective in Toyota's as it is in domestic cars.

I drive 45,000/yr, 90% highway. Would you make the switch?

Thanks, Guys

synpower has been treating you nicely, keep it in there
synpower is the smoothest synthetic i have ever used....

If you are planning on running this another 150k - 200k I would consider the switch, though tough to argue not dancing with what brung ya this far.

The Schaeffer's in Toyota's thing is a myth.

Either oil will be fine, the synpower got you this far, it's a good oil too.

Schaeffer is great oil, but I'd stick with the Synpower. A lil' cheaper as well, for the amount you will use (6 changes/year).

Personally, when you're getting into THAT much mileage, I'd look at M1 EP or Amsoil, and going 15-20k on a change. You'd do about half the number of oil changes, which saves you some work.

As much as I hate the Valvoline Oil Company, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But, if I were thinking about switching brands it would be in this order.

1. Mobil 1 5W-20EP
2. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20
3. Schaeffer's #704 5W-20

I forgot to add to my reply; I'm averaging over 26mpg in my Ranger on the Schaeffer's 5w20. Average mpg w/ PP was 24.81 for the duration of the OCI. Can't explain it, some say extra Moly? Either way I'm happy and wasn't expecting that at all. Same driving conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back