Valvoline restore and protect ford 3.7

Different oils and/or viscosity could change how cam on bucket/shim valve trains sound.

You ever get to a point where after you tried 3 major brands of oil, and they all burned in a car/motor... maybe it's not the oils? :unsure:

Different oils and/or viscosity could change how cam on bucket/shim valve trains sound.
Maybe if he chose a 15w-50 over the 5w-20 recommended vis. Maybe ...

I've owned two of these engines in civilian vehicles; my son also owned one.
I've also driven them in LEO service (Taurus and Explorer).
I've been around these aplenty ... under "normal" and "severe LEO" use

DAMB, in the Cyclone n/a engines when properly shimmed, is super quiet. It is possible (though unlikely) that his engine valve clearance was improperly set up at the factory; too much clearance for one or more of the buckets. But if this is the case, no oil is going to quiet that noise, if it's present as he claims. Bottom line is that oil selection generally won't cause the claimed noise problem in DAMB, and it won't make it go away, either.

Maybe if he chose a 15w-50 over the 5w-20 recommended vis. Maybe ...
When I switched from Mobil 1 to Valvoline Advanced in my 4.0L V6 Tacoma (1GR-FE), which is also a cam on bucket valve train design, the valve train did sound a little less "ticky" sounding when inside the quiet garage, and engine is at full operating temperature.

The OP's description of a the ticking noise subsiding as the engine warmed up from a cold start could be a number of things going on.

When I switched from Mobil 1 to Valvoline Advanced in my 4.0L V6 Tacoma (1GR-FE), which is also a cam on bucket valve train design, the valve train did sound a little less "ticky" sounding when inside the quiet garage, and engine is at full operating temperature.
That's because Mobil 1 is made with Unicorn Tears, while Valvoline is blended with Hairy Chested Kentucky Rye Whiskey. The only real thing about motor oil and engine noise, when using two similarly specified lubricants is the placebo effect. And we all know how powerful that one is.

That's because Mobil 1 is made with Unicorn Tears, while Valvoline is blended with Hairy Chested Kentucky Rye Whiskey. The only real thing about motor oil and engine noise, when using two similarly specified lubricants is the placebo effect. And we all know how powerful that one is.
I knew someone would go down the "placebo" rabbit hole, lol. How about a controlled test that proves that oil formulation can indeed effect the engine noise level.

Here's info from an oil maker (Bizol) showing the difference in engine noise level between two different xW-30 grade oils. Of course, someone will claim it's just "advertising hype" of their oil.

1715021705080.jpg

1715021731933.jpg

The OP's description of a the ticking noise subsiding as the engine warmed up from a cold start could be a number of things going on.
I experienced the same with my Subaru. A very clattery engine as Subie owners know. Also started in a quiet garage next to a wall.

Why do some people claim that Mobil 1 causes their engine to be clattery or loud? What is it about Mobil 1? I use standard Mobil 1 5W20 in my 3.5 Edge with no issues..
People love to hate on Mobil 1 because it's at the top. For some bizarre reason, many folks think that brands like Shell, Castrol, or Valvoline are the underdogs, and they love rooting for the underdog. Never mind that Mobil 1 isn’t more expensive than these other brands—it might even be cheaper these days. Yet, people still find some convoluted reason to buy Valvoline, for example. YouTube is a treasure trove of nonsensical videos on this subject, and the comment sections are pure comedy gold. Mobil will do anything, including selling their product at rock-bottom prices, to stay the market leader. And let's be real, if someone claims they can hear a difference in engine noise between oil brands, especially when the engine is warm and at full operating temperature, they’ve got bigger issues than motor oil—like maybe a hyperactive imagination.

but to make a observation , does it really matter if a engine is slightly more clattery? seems like proper viscosity may play a significant role in noise and the age of the oil and engine, as new oil maybe more quiet per say as opposed to (worn) oil,,also the filter/flow can be noted along with fuel dilution of the oil.

fuel dilution of the oil
Despite people blaming it on GDI and whatnot, 98% of the time fuel dilution of the motor oil happens due to the owner's neglect and abuse of the vehicle, and because they're too cheap to use any semblance of quality gasoline or at least throw in a bottle of PEA-based fuel system cleaner. Short-tripping the vehicle or driving like you just had your reflexes amputated doesn't help either.

Back