Valvoline Synpower? Not a lot of info on this oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Synpower is a great lube. IMO it is NOT inferior to M1, PP, or any other OTC synthetic. Synpower Is and excellent product, and IMO equal to the others. It always shows low wear in UOA's and performs very quiet in my engines. ...

thumbsup2.gif
I agree. NAPA Synthetic (made by Valvoline/Ashland) is a great oil as well ... I have used it, and it worked just fine for me. Just my
49.gif

LOL! So you think cheap Valvoline contains big-dollar additives and they sell the oil at a loss?

UOAs tell you exactly Jack Squat unless you have been trending YOUR engine for many thousands of miles and the results will only be relevant to YOU.

Edited to add: I like XOM but do not use their Super because, in part, of the sodium.

Originally Posted By: bourne
You obviously chose to ignore various comments that UOA only show in-organic add packs. Perfect example of judging a book by its cover.

Last edited:
If things are a little tight, I will send you the extra four dollars so you can buy some P4 or M1 next time.

Friends don't let friends use Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: subaru1991
Bought some of the Maxlife variety last night at Walmart. $22.99. Never had a problem with any Valvoline product.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Synpower is probably the equal of any other OTS oil you'll find at Walmart.
You can even get it on clearance right now, dyed a pretty shade of purple.

ZIIIIIIIING!!! LOL!

Fleet of one? LOL!

I recently poured bulk 15W-40 in an F-150 that calls for 5W-20 and without even asking what you use your Ranger for, I know this truck works harder. And it sees Michigan winters. 183,000+ miles so I don't see your point.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Valvoline Synpower: My fleet has great results here, Its kept my so called problem engine: (Ford Ranger 4.0L SOHC) with the severe chain guide problems,in great shape and UNTOUCHED for 150,000 miles. It's convinced me. I would buy this product even if it does cost more.

LOL!!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Synpower is probably the equal of any other OTS oil you'll find at Walmart.
You can even get it on clearance right now, dyed a pretty shade of purple.

Good. I hope it doesn't show signs of coolant intrusion or fuel dilution and that it stayed in grade. That's all it's going to tell you.

Irony: But cheap oil and spend $25 on a UOA.

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
I will be getting a UOA with mine so we will see if what you say is right or not....I like the way my vehicles run on Valvoline so I would be disappointed if I get a bad result with it.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
LOL! So you think cheap Valvoline contains big-dollar additives and they sell the oil at a loss?

UOAs tell you exactly Jack Squat unless you have been trending YOUR engine for many thousands of miles and the results will only be relevant to YOU.

You obviously chose to ignore various comments that UOA only show in-organic add packs. Perfect example of judging a book by its cover.

If you actually read my post, you will realize that I was using UOAs solely for the purpose of showing add packs. Which in turn was my response to someone who was using UOA to make a statement about add packs. At NO point did I make any mention of using UOA to measure wear.

And how does someone like you or I, find out what companies like Exxon Mobil, Sopus, Ashland are paying for their add pack? Or that one addpack is more "expensive" than the other ?? Last I checked, neither of us were working for Valvoline or any other oil manufacturer, at least I'm not. And I am sure they are making a decent amount of money on their product, I mean we only do live in a capitalist economy and they are a "FOR PROFIT" business.

Last edited:
Which brand of the Shell products do you think is really strong ? I really have liked the Pennzoil Ultra. I finally found it again in the 5 qt container at Walmart 50 miles away. I bought it and I am glad to have it in my car. But again which ones do you think are the best?

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Compare Synpower 5w-30 to other brands, I don't see that it is particularly worse or better than most other hydrocracked group III oils. I think the biggest issue is that Napa Synthetic appears to be pretty much the same exact oil and regularly goes on sale so why would you pay more because it says Valvoline on the bottle? I have used Napa Synthetic in the past with no issues.

And how does someone like you or I, find out what companies like Exxon Mobil, Sopus, Ashland are paying for their add pack? Or that one addpack is more "expensive" than the other ?? Last I checked, neither of us were working for Valvoline or any other oil manufacturer, at least I'm not. And I am sure they are making a decent amount of money on their product, I mean we only do live in a capitalist economy and they are a "FOR PROFIT" business.

XOM and SOPUS own Infineum, they manufacture their own additive packages.

Just saw a Valvoline ad touting better wear performance and twice as strong film strength than Mobil 1 on ESPN. After reading this thread it made me chuckle.

Last edited:
A twofer.
I'll admit that I was trolling in writing that.
In my case, Synpower was an itch I wanted to scratch.
It worked okay in the Forester, but looked like nothing special.
The UOA I posted was the third run of Valvoline synthetic in the car, with the first being FAR VR1 10W-30 and the next two Synpower, so I gave it a fair trial, although the API SN formulation seems to be a better oil.
I'll be giving the older Accord an oil change in the next few days.
If I happen to hit the right Wally at the right time and get some three buck a quart oil, I'll scratch the RP itch.
If not, it'll continue on FAR G-Oil.

Fleet of one? LOL!

I recently poured bulk 15W-40 in an F-150 that calls for 5W-20 and without even asking what you use your Ranger for, I know this truck works harder. And it sees Michigan winters. 183,000+ miles so I don't see your point.

Valvoline Synpower: My fleet has great results here, Its kept my so called problem engine: (Ford Ranger 4.0L SOHC) with the severe chain guide problems,in great shape and UNTOUCHED for 150,000 miles. It's convinced me. I would buy this product even if it does cost more.
The 4.0L SOHC 1997-2004 is well known for its timing chain death rattle at 2500 rpm, this IS going to occur at anywhere beteewn 40,000 and 120,000 miles with a timing guide failure,a very costly repair indeed, i was just stating the Valvoline Synpower has served this owner well so far...no more no less.. We have a small automotive Shop here, and we own a fleet of 8 trucks, sorry to confuse you,(lighten up) I would doubt if your truck is the queen bee worker of the world. We also have great results with valvoline products for quite a while,with customers cars.

Last edited:
i was just stating the Valvoline Synpower has served this owner well so far...no more no less..

Let me get this right. You are claiming it is the direct result of the use of VSP that has kept this owner for having this common issue?

Quote:
We also have great results with valvoline products for quite a while,with customers cars.

Can you elaborate on what these "great results" are?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

As far as i know Valvoline has been using Lubrizol add-packs which are not second rate add-packages.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

As far as i know Valvoline has been using Lubrizol add-packs which are not second rate add-packages.

I believe you are correct.

You're entitled to your opinion but it doesn't make you right. It is inferior to SOPUS and M1. Looking at a dozen UOAs from a dozen different applications tells you absolutely nothing. Sodium is NOT a detergent.

Synpower is a great lube. IMO it is NOT inferior to M1, PP, or any other OTC synthetic. Synpower Is and excellent product, and IMO equal to the others. It always shows low wear in UOA's and performs very quiet in my engines.

As SLATRON said most here don't like it because it has a sodium add-pack. IMO calcium/sodium add-pack oils are just as good as anything else as far as engine cleanliness. Sodium is and excellent detergent.

As far as price Synpower is priced the same as all the other synthetics at my local walmart. OP if your interested in trying Synpower you don't have anything to worry about. Below is the VOA from PQIA

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

Sodium is in fact predominately used as a detergent in motor oil. BTW the UOA'a are not from dozens of applications, they are my own personal applications. Your opinion of its so called inferiority is your choice, however that doesn't make you anymore right. You're still basing your hate for Valvoline based on your opinion of the company and your bad experience.

In the link below MolaKule explains Sodium uses in oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2764914

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Actually you do see it on here a lot, just under a different name: Napa Synthetic

The problem with the name-brand Synpower is that it's inferior to M1, Edge, PP, yet it costs more than them.

However, the private label Napa version often goes on sale for $3.79/qt, which is a great deal for it.

Synpower is a great lube. IMO it is NOT inferior to M1, PP, or any other OTC synthetic. Synpower Is and excellent product, and IMO equal to the others. It always shows low wear in UOA's and performs very quiet in my engines.

As SLATRON said most here don't like it because it has a sodium add-pack. IMO calcium/sodium add-pack oils are just as good as anything else as far as engine cleanliness. Sodium is and excellent detergent.

As far as price Synpower is priced the same as all the other synthetics at my local walmart. OP if your interested in trying Synpower you don't have anything to worry about. Below is the VOA from PQIA

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

I agree that Valvoline oils, including SynPower, are great products. I wouldn't go so far as to claim that they're superior to M1, etc, but SynPower performs well for the customer looking to change at the OLM interval or run 7k-8k changes. I've used an awful lot of SynPower over the years, and the only reason that my stash currently has more SOPUS jugs is that they've been more generous with rebates and promotions. In my area, any decent oil when changed at a reasonable interval will allow an engine to outlast the rest of the vehicle. Winter salt is the real killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back