BITOG oil knowledge assisted with a client this week!

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I'm a geologist, specifically a consulting geologist that does mineral exploration for a v. niche mineral group - heavy minerals/mineral sands specifically titanium minerals (ilmenite/rutile/other Ti-min species), zircon, and now the v. exciting rare earth element-hosting minerals...monazite/xenotime. These all fall into the very publicized bucket of "critical minerals" that the U.S. wants to make sure we have and not have to depend on China b/c we need our Iphones and Teslas. To that end, I have clients doing this work all over the world that hire me to help them find this stuff and figure out how to get it out of the ground. Now that that is out of the way....I was out of town this week with a new client and spending quite a bit of time driving in their new VW Tiguan. Lots of time to talk/get to know each other and my love of VWs/cars etc. was a topic of conversation. I noted a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 0W20 in the back seat so.....I ask what was going on.

It's consuming quite a bit of oil. - it's new w/30K miles on it (I think a 2022 or 3). He has the Tig oil changed at the dealer. I let him know that while fine to use to top off, this wasn't the VW-approved (508) 0W20 that is actually green. He was quite suprised to learn all about Euro appovals. I showed him the correct M1 product (the ESP version) and how to figure out what he needed. Interestingly enough, I pulled out the owner's manual and it doesn't list the oil info...only that there is info under the hood. Also that you can use a standard 0W30 as a top-up in a pinch if the appropriate VW oil (that we don't know) isn't available. I meant to pop the hood but never did. Also of note...he's German...been here about 10 years so quite familar with these vehicles.

Do these actually take the xW30 504s? @kschachn @edyvw? Maybe that's why it's using so much (running 20 vs. 30)? I told him many times the dealer will just use one oil for all vehicles regardless of what the specific vehicle takes.

Three types of oil are specified depending on the trim.
Ow-20 0w-30 and 5w-40
Which is a weird way of looking at it since the real determinant is the approval, not the grade. Why VW (and others) even specify grades in an approval is a bit odd to me. Mercedes-Benz has somewhat stepped away from that but not for all approvals.

Which is a weird way of looking at it since the real determinant is the approval, not the grade. Why VW (and others) even specify grades in an approval is a bit odd to me. Mercedes-Benz has somewhat stepped away from that but not for all approvals.
Your dealer used 504 as you asked and didn't complain-correct?

Your dealer used 504 as you asked and didn't complain-correct?
Yes, for the two free changes.

But my point about the approval is directed to the confusion the OP noted. Give a grade and that's all many consumers will look for. Biggest letters/numbers on the container.

But my point about the approval is directed to the confusion the OP noted. Give a grade and that's all many consumers will look for. Biggest letters/numbers on the container.
Perhaps approvals are becoming less relevant if OCI across the industry are becoming standardized?

Agreed. The price of the oil itself will entice uninformed penny pinchers to go grade not approval.

If "correct oil" is referred to and not specified in the owner's manual, where is a consumer supposed to know where to find correct oil?

Are they supposed to simply trust the dealership?

If "correct oil" is referred to and not specified in the owner's manual, where is a consumer supposed to know where to find correct oil?

Are they supposed to simply trust the dealership?
Usually listed under the hood although VW has had discrepancies even under the hood.... VW can be very mysterious at times

Shouldn't that be covered under some sort of warranty?
Using a qt over 7.5K? That's well within the normal range as well as the manual's recommendatoins....my concern is he's using a 20 grade vs. a 30 that it calls for and he's just getting the normal increased consumption you often see with thinner oils.

i am quick to give MY opinion on many things from reading + learning BUT its the persons decision to believe or not what i or anyone says!!

I'm a geologist, specifically a consulting geologist that does mineral exploration for a v. niche mineral group - heavy minerals/mineral sands specifically titanium minerals (ilmenite/rutile/other Ti-min species), zircon, and now the v. exciting rare earth element-hosting minerals...monazite/xenotime. These all fall into the very publicized bucket of "critical minerals" that the U.S. wants to make sure we have and not have to depend on China b/c we need our Iphones and Teslas. To that end, I have clients doing this work all over the world that hire me to help them find this stuff and figure out how to get it out of the ground. Now that that is out of the way....I was out of town this week with a new client and spending quite a bit of time driving in their new VW Tiguan. Lots of time to talk/get to know each other and my love of VWs/cars etc. was a topic of conversation. I noted a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 0W20 in the back seat so.....I ask what was going on.

It's consuming quite a bit of oil. - it's new w/30K miles on it (I think a 2022 or 3). He has the Tig oil changed at the dealer. I let him know that while fine to use to top off, this wasn't the VW-approved (508) 0W20 that is actually green. He was quite suprised to learn all about Euro appovals. I showed him the correct M1 product (the ESP version) and how to figure out what he needed. Interestingly enough, I pulled out the owner's manual and it doesn't list the oil info...only that there is info under the hood. Also that you can use a standard 0W30 as a top-up in a pinch if the appropriate VW oil (that we don't know) isn't available. I meant to pop the hood but never did. Also of note...he's German...been here about 10 years so quite familar with these vehicles.

Do these actually take the xW30 504s? @kschachn @edyvw? Maybe that's why it's using so much (running 20 vs. 30)? I told him many times the dealer will just use one oil for all vehicles regardless of what the specific vehicle takes.
Nothing stops the engine rated for 0W20 from taking heavier grade. ENgine rated for heavier grade taking thinner/lighter oil? That is a different story.
If I had it, I would be running VW504.00/507.00.

Back