Valvoline Restore/Protect Isn't Dexos Licensed.

You guys aware of that Valvolines new oil isn't Dexos licensed? I guess I'll keep using Extended Protection (which works great).
You do realize that official dexos is merely a pay-to-play scheme, especially since GM merely recommends using dexos-licensed oils as far as warranty is concerned? There’s nothing magical about oils that pay for the license, and there are plenty of oils that exceed its performance requirements.

Their full synthetic high mileage max life oils used to have a dexos certification logo on the jug with a special looking pour spout before they went back to their more generic looking 5 quart jugs with less flashy packaging appearance.

You do realize that official dexos is merely a pay-to-play scheme, especially since GM merely recommends using dexos-licensed oils as far as warranty is concerned? There’s nothing magical about oils that pay for the license, and there are plenty of oils that exceed its performance requirements.
Merely Recommends? Not any more. This is from a 2024 owners manual. I guess there is an out, with “or equivalent”, but your highly paid lawyer would have to have to convince them of that.

AC6B27E8-18CD-4F89-A8C6-95671944B1D0.jpeg

then use the Dexos gen 3, SP GF-6a oil,its labeled on jug, Valvoline EP or advanced, also many other brands to choose from that are good to use.

For the OP, if you want to stick to Valvoline and the Owner's manual, your only options are Full Synthetic, Advance Full Synthetic, or Extended Protection Full Synthetic.
I'm not hearing or seeing much of this oil on any other forum. I'm going to guess it will have a slow but inevitable death like Modern Engine.
Priced too high for the beater crowd that potentially needs it …
I finally saw a tv commercial for R&P so I don't know if it's still being ramped up or now marketing is trying to boost sales. It's too expensive at retail prices. I will be keeping an eye out for this oil over the next year to see if the prices drop and/or put on clearance. The only way I see this moving to some degree is if the price is reduced and sold at Walmart.
I can't imagine why an HM would have such a license. HM oils have no euro approvals either.
The only HM oil that I can think of that meets D1G3 is Quaker State FSHM. So its definitely not on the industry radar and there's definitely high mileage Dexos vehicles out there. Not doubting Dexos capabilities per Lubrizol's comparison but there doesn't seem to be an actual need for it.

Back