7-eleven diesel fuel sourced on west coast?

European diesel needs to be 51 cetane minimum. And some of it comes from the USA. So maybe not such a specialty product afterall. Ours is up to 7% biodiesel.

There are 5 refineries in Northern California. Conventional diesel would most likely be from one of them,

97656229-EEFD-47B6-A2BB-1B5D1BF22D32.jpeg

One other point is that “ Bio Diesel” is not the same as “ Renewable Diesel”. We have the sloppy reporting by the main stream press to thank for that.

It’s “Renewable diesel” that’s in a large growth mode in California. Although they both originate from similar stocks, “Renewable Diesel” is highly refined and can absolutely take the place of conventional diesel.

Here is something from Exxon regarding their refining process.

17EEA44E-A8A5-43AA-9B9B-1735F1E5E828.jpeg

One other point is that “ Bio Diesel” is not the same as “ Renewable Diesel”. We have the sloppy reporting by the main stream press to thank for that.

It’s “Renewable diesel” that’s in a large growth mode in California. Although they both originate from similar stocks, “Renewable Diesel” is highly refined and can absolutely take the place of conventional diesel.

Here is something from Exxon regarding their refining process.

View attachment 194759
Your absolutely correct, and most people don't understand the difference. I would guess the renewable diesel is made by the Chevron refinery there, they have been investing a lot in that process. Purely a guess.

Most “Renewable Diesel” is refined in the large chemical infrastructure in Louisiana and is shipped to California. At least five other states now have processing capability.

View attachment 194760

Your absolutely correct, and most people don't understand the difference. I would guess the renewable diesel is made by the Chevron refinery there, they have been investing a lot in that process. Purely a guess.

Renewable diesel is refined at multiple locations by P66, Chevron, and Marathon. Your chart is dated, likely the majority or all is manufactured in the state now.

Neste fuels are not imported any longer as there is enough domestic capacity.

It is sold a branded fuel by Chevron, 76, and Propel. Some Indy stations also sell it, as in Berkeley at biofuel oasis.

I had to take a look at how Renewable diesel is being marketed. Here is something from Chevron.

View attachment 194762

Chevron markets their “Biomass based blend” as Diesel #2. It’s not compatible with older diesels that use rubber seals. It makes the seals shrink and causes leaks. Everything needs to be replaced by Viton seals.

Renewable diesel is refined at multiple locations by P66, Chevron, and Marathon. Your chart is dated, likely the majority or all is manufactured in the state now.

Neste fuels are not imported any longer as there is enough domestic capacity.

It is sold a branded fuel by Chevron, 76, and Propel. Some Indy stations also sell it, as in Berkeley at biofuel oasis.
I’m no expert on this but let’s see what the year end numbers are. Imports from Singapore were growing rapidly in 2023. I sense “ rumours of its demise were greatly exaggerated.”

FBCE0851-0EC6-4963-8B71-A3EF91DEC78E.jpeg

There are 5 refineries in Northern California. Conventional diesel would most likely be from one of them,

View attachment 194758

A couple are or have been converted to biofuels. The Phillips 66 refinery in Rodeo is scheduled to complete the transition in 2024. Marathon already converted the former Golden Eagle refinery.

Seaport isn’t a full scale refinery. Looks like they re-refine stuff like transmix and contaminated/old fuels.

As far as I can tell, Chevron (Richmond), Valero (Benicia), and PBF (Martinez) are still refining petroleum.

Usually your local gas station will get their fuel from the same distribution center as all the other local gas stations. The primary difference is the add pack. The base fuel itself is stored at the distribution center, the trucks pull in, fill, dump the add pack in and there off.

Rare exceptions are possible where your equidistant between 2 distribution points. I live near one of those - we have a nearby DC fed by pipeline, but also a Kinder Morgan DC in the port that comes in by ship. I think the ship one might only be diesel. I have tried to find out but such things aren't published really.

So even if I knew where the local 7-eleven sourced there diesel from, it might be completely different from where you are, but likely isn't that much different from other stations in the area.

Having said all that - I have no clue how bio diesel works, so it might be totally different.

Depends on the area. The San Francisco Bay Area has fuel depots located near each other. Richmond has four fuel depots. Even though Chevron’s is right next to their refinery, it’s fully integrated into pipelines and obviously they still operate when the refinery is going through maintenance.

In any case, there’s way too much worry about base fuels. They all have to meet commodity requirements and can even be mixed in the storage tanks.

Here in the Midwest all diesel is B5 and the pump has to be marked if greater than B5. Most fuel in the Iowa and Illinois area is B5-B20.

FWIW @CleverUserName i think you are wasting your money with an additive at every fill up. I am curious to know what is the point of the additive?

Just my $0.02

Here in the Midwest all diesel is B5 and the pump has to be marked if greater than B5. Most fuel in the Iowa and Illinois area is B5-B20.

FWIW @CleverUserName i think you are wasting your money with an additive at every fill up. I am curious to know what is the point of the additive?

Just my $0.02

You can research my oil analysis I’ve posted on here since 2018. They indicate the additive I’m using has positive effects.

Canola oil is approved as a feedstock for renewable diesel. Canola production in the Canadian western provinces is large and the pipeline infrastructure to the USA exists should it become a large exported product.

58725E87-EB50-43FD-84DD-B014BA159B18.jpeg

You probably have never used different additives followed with oil analysis.

Oil analysis can be used to see how combustion is occurring inside the engine.
Correct I don’t use any oil additives. I don’t see a need. My Cummins runs just fine without any and I’ve done several UOAs.

Just my $0.02

Back