Torque Wrench Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently own the Craftsman 3/8" microtork 25-250 inlbs. I have used it several times and it seems to be a fine tool. Its not too expensive either at about 80 dollars.

I have a snap on 4-1 torque. It does in. lbs, ft lbs, newtons, and degrees and allows you to rachet while using degrees. Its digital and self-calibrating. It runs around 400 bucks though. Very nice tool to have.

I have an older Armstrong and a newer CDI torque wrench (clicker -micrometer style) in inch pounds range of(30-260)and have never had a problem with them. I also have a 1/2 SK wrench from the 1970's with 30-150 ft / pounds work range. Any of these three brands would be worth checking out.

Shooter, it's hard to cover all the ranges with only two wrenches. While your intended purchase states that it goes down to 5 ft. lbs., all mfg. state that their wrenches are calibrated accurate down to 20% of their scale. In your case, the 80 ft. lb. wrench is only calibrated down to 16 ft. lbs.. Below that, and your results might come into question. Most spark plugs are in the 13 to 20 ft. lb. range. Most pan/cover gaskets are in the 8 to 16 ft. lb. range.

You need a 250 inch lb. (21 ft. lb.) wrench for these lower applications.....in my opinion.

xtell, SK went out of business, has been reincarnated (bought by Ideal), and it is left to be seen what their quality will be. Many are optimistic that they will produce great quality U.S. made tools.

Where can you go to get a torque wrench calibrated? I have an older Mac, which I use sparingly, and want to get it tested. Can the mac Man calibrate it at his truck?

Last edited:
doitmyself,
I guess I was out of the loop on SK. I looked them up and see that they are (the new parent company) still going to produce tools in Illinois.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
someone recommend the gearwrench 10-100ft off amazon. its great!

Gearwrench are excellent torque wrenches, in my opinion, but he will still not get the lower range he desires with a 100lb. unit.

Gearwrench torque products are US made by Danaher owned JS Technologies in Georgia (to my knowledge). They make Armstrong (industrial), NAPA, Craftsman, Gearwrench/KD, etc.. The wrench in question is a step above the plastic handled Craftsman and appears to share the same components as the industrial Armstrong product (highly regarded).

I'm "guessing" (my opinion) that they are just a tad below the dedicated mfg.: CDI, Precision Instrument,Sturdevant Richmond, Proto.....but, just a guess.

Read this and weep; that is why I keep on saying that a torque wrench is no substitute for your brains. I found this in another forum.

-------------------------------
Torque spec for rear caliper banjo bolt
I'm currently in the process of replacing both of my rear calipers. The repair book that I'm using states that the rear banjo bolt should be torqued to 144 ft-lbs. The washer and fitting started distorting really bad after a using my torque wrench. I'm pretty sure my banjo bolt and fitting are shot.

Does anyone know here if that's the right torque spec?

Thanks,
-------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back