Torque wrench suggestions wanted

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm looking to do a little work on the Camry and would like to get a reasonable-quality torque wrench. I'll be torquing 14mm bolts to 63 ft lbs and was thinking that a 1/2-inch drive would suffice.

What components are you using it on? Something like head bolts I'd go higher end but there's thousands of shops doing wheel end and suspension work with the cheap HF wrenches.

Tekton would fit your requirements well. If you want to go up a step from that look at Precision Instruments and CDI.

What components are you using it on? Something like head bolts I'd go higher end but there's thousands of shops doing wheel end and suspension work with the cheap HF wrenches.
I'll be adjusting the front strut bolts ... there is a Harbor Freight across the avenue from me.

People have done tests comparing Quinn to Snap-On and the Quinn/Harbor Freight was just as accurate.

Also the Quinn Torque Adapter is also pretty accurate. Don't think because it is cheap it is not as good as high end, a lot of the time you are just paying for a name and not any major bump up in quality.

Harbor Freight's torque wrenches are good :)
I'm going to check their options. They're across the avenue from me, prices are good, and folks here that I respect have suggested them. I just want the wrench for a simple project and paying a shop around here more than $100.00 an hour to adjust a few bolts makes no sense. Any projects I do in the future will be simple ones, so a spendy wrench makes no sense.

People have done tests comparing Quinn to Snap-On and the Quinn/Harbor Freight was just as accurate.

Also the Quinn Torque Adapter is also pretty accurate. Don't think because it is cheap it is not as good as high end, a lot of the time you are just paying for a name and not any major bump up in quality.
Thanks for the tip. Never heard of the product but I looked into it and it has some appeal. Thank you!

Precision Instruments, Norbar or CDI.
Thanks for the suggestions, but their products seem to be much more expensive than needed for the little project I have in mind and for anything that I'm capable of doing in the foreseeable future. Nice to have the info though ...

Tekton would fit your requirements well. If you want to go up a step from that look at Precision Instruments and CDI.
Thanks for the Tekton suggestion. They seem to have a few models that are appropriate for my situation and within budget. If my visit to Harbor Freight tomorrow doesn't pan out, I'll look at Tekton.

Harbor Freight's torque wrenches are good :)
I concur. I have several torque wrenches from Harbor Freight. "Pittsburg", as well as "Quinn" and others. I bought these 2 electronic models from Harbor Freight, and checked all my mechanical wrenches against it, (both the "click" and the torsion bar type that "bend"), and they were all very close. Within a few pounds.

I don't build Space Shuttles, so my needs may not meet the requirements of some of you. But for me they all do the job just fine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-59-59-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58705.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-250-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58706.html

Back