Took a test drive in a used truck today, something in the cab made me sick.

Took a test drive in a wonderful 2021 Sierra SLE Crew 4x4 5.3 this afternoon (bright red, of course). This would be a replacement for my rapidly aging 2004 Silverado. The way it is loaded with options, it is literally an SLT... but it has cloth seats (making it an SLE).

1714877059042.jpg

When I got in it, I didn't smell anything, no cigarette smoke, no moldiness, no mustiness, no air freshener or strong cleaning solution smell... nothing at all. But about halfway through the test drive, my throat started getting raw. By the time I got it back to the dealership, I was starting to lose my voice. I do have allergies, and cigarette smoke or mold would be definitely be a trigger for me.... but I didn't smell anything in the truck. There have been times that 15 seconds inside of a vehicle is all it taken for me to walk away (mainly cigarette smoke). The only thing that I did notice was some pet hair still in the cab, what I believe was dog hair.... but there was absolutely no dog smell.

Not sure why dog hair would trigger me, because I had a dog in the house for 16 years, and no problems. The only thing that I can figure is that it was that it could be a particular breed of dog, or possibly there was a lot of dog dander in the cab. But again, no dog smell.

So that one is a real head scratcher. Of course, the salesman would really like to sell me the truck.... but how do you spend that kind of money for a truck that might make you sick every time you drive it? Salesman was going to talk to his head detailer on Monday about giving it a super thorough cleaning on the inside and whatever else might be possible, but I'm afraid that whatever it is (possibly dog hair/dog dander), it will be all through the HVAC system, and there won't be any "cleaning it up" to the point where it won't affect me. If it is dog hair/dander, it is going to be all underneath the seats and under the dash as well. And I guess it could also be mold, although I never sensed or smelled any moldiness.

Salesman did check and the service paperwork showed that the cabin air been changed with a new one.... and it clearly didn't help any.

Unfortunately, this is one that I'm likely going to have to walk away from, for the oddest of reasons. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Off topic, what would one do with practically identical 2017, 2018, and 2021 Sierra pickups?

Did they use an ozone machine right before you drove it?
That was my first thought. I just bought one from Amazon as part of cleaning up mold/mildew smell and other from water leak in my Pilot.

All the warnings if not aired out long enough have the sore throat thing and other. There were a couple threads here at BITOG with it also.

All thing say it does actually kill all the stuff like smoke, dog, bacteria etc.

I think they might have done it to get rid of dog smells. Ask dealer and detailer about it.

Enerzen Ozone Generator if you want to read up on it. If ventilation is on recirc and running it should kill all in there also.

Ouch, I feel bad for your affliction. You definitely would not be able to live on a farm nor do many outdoorsy stuff that I am passionate about. Just last night I chuckled how difficult it was to get the worm and fish smell off my hands after a pleasant evening at the lake. Not to mention dumping the can of night crawlers on the Jeep floor. Thank goodness for Weathertec!

Gorgeous truck.

My guess is the AC evaporator has mold on it. Some forms of mold are odorless.

I have an F150 that develops a buildup on the evaporator. I use Lysol in large quantities to solve the problem. It is dog related, as the other F150's don't have the problem, and they don't carry the dog.

I've considered cutting a hole in the evaporator's housing to get in there with a mixture of Simple Green or Lysol concentrated cleaner. and flush with hot water.

Sadly there's something going on with this ride. Detailers (and wholesalers) are good at removing evidence. You, sadly, are like a bloodhound for something-- water damage maybe?

Cars on lots get "closed up" for weeks or months and could just need a good airing out. But anything of mine that picks up mildew smells won't shake them no matter how many sunny days I leave the windows down.

It'll always be in the back of your mind. You'll never enjoy having it after that without knowing what the issue was. Pass on it and keep looking.

what would one do with practically identical 2017, 2018, and 2021 Sierra pickups?
Your question is unrealistically broad. A bit more information is needed as to your goals and needs.

Joke answer: Giving them away, for example, is one thing you could do. I'll take the one with the lowest mileage.
a. Keep them.
b. Sell them.
c. Sell them to a movie vehicle company just in case they want to shoot scenes where the same truck will need to be destroyed. Think Blues Brothers set in the country on a budget.
d. Offer them to a construction company which wants to have identical vehicles. Maybe a family would want 3 identical trucks?
e. Film a "smoke and mirrors" magic trick....except you don't need the mirrors as you have identical trucks.
f. Trade all 3 of them in for one Tesla brand Cybertruck. Establish a new ceiling for just how wasteful and stupid a person can be!

I bought a 2015 Mazda6 and the dealership spilled the bottle of perfume in the back seat. I ended up selling the car after a year partially because I was allergic and it wasn’t dissipating fast enough.

Really really hard to know, but could have been where the truck was parked for awhile, some tree pollen that really nails you, for example.

Again hard to tell on the internet.

Took a test drive in a wonderful 2021 Sierra SLE Crew 4x4 5.3 this afternoon (bright red, of course). This would be a replacement for my rapidly aging 2004 Silverado. The way it is loaded with options, it is literally an SLT... but it has cloth seats (making it an SLE).

View attachment 217767

When I got in it, I didn't smell anything, no cigarette smoke, no moldiness, no mustiness, no air freshener or strong cleaning solution smell... nothing at all. But about halfway through the test drive, my throat started getting raw. By the time I got it back to the dealership, I was starting to lose my voice. I do have allergies, and cigarette smoke or mold would be definitely be a trigger for me.... but I didn't smell anything in the truck. There have been times that 15 seconds inside of a vehicle is all it taken for me to walk away (mainly cigarette smoke). The only thing that I did notice was some pet hair still in the cab, what I believe was dog hair.... but there was absolutely no dog smell.

Not sure why dog hair would trigger me, because I had a dog in the house for 16 years, and no problems. The only thing that I can figure is that it was that it could be a particular breed of dog, or possibly there was a lot of dog dander in the cab. But again, no dog smell.

So that one is a real head scratcher. Of course, the salesman would really like to sell me the truck.... but how do you spend that kind of money for a truck that might make you sick every time you drive it? Salesman was going to talk to his head detailer on Monday about giving it a super thorough cleaning on the inside and whatever else might be possible, but I'm afraid that whatever it is (possibly dog hair/dog dander), it will be all through the HVAC system, and there won't be any "cleaning it up" to the point where it won't affect me. If it is dog hair/dander, it is going to be all underneath the seats and under the dash as well. And I guess it could also be mold, although I never sensed or smelled any moldiness.

Salesman did check and the service paperwork showed that the cabin air been changed with a new one.... and it clearly didn't help any.

Unfortunately, this is one that I'm likely going to have to walk away from, for the oddest of reasons. I'm scratching my head on this one.
you always find some beautiful trucks and I'm not a red person but they sure look nice...I vote ozone machine as well...were you able to run the windows down and drive with outside air coming in???...hopefully you can find the solution

Good luck,

Bill

I’m also wondering if they had the ozone machine in it right up til you came to test drive. If you really like this truck, head up to the dealer, open all the doors for 10 minutes or so before driving and see if you get the same reaction.

Did they use an ozone machine right before you drove it?
They've had the truck on the lot for nearly a month now. I'd think that would have dissipated by now.

I didn't see any evidence that it had been freshly detailed.

Off topic, what would one do with practically identical 2017, 2018, and 2021 Sierra pickups?
It is a mental illness. LOL. I've developed into a hoarder of red GMC's.

Here's the red GMC that started it all... The 2000 that I bought as a repo with 38,000 miles on it.

This is what it looked like after I cleaned it up to sell it, with 162,000 miles on it.

1714939236366.jpg

If you will spray all that clover with some Celcius WG, about 2 tablespoons to 2 gallons of water and put down about 1/2 lb of 34-0-0 per 1,000 sf 3 days after the Celcius, you will get rid of it.

I still love my 04 Sierra but wish it still looked this good, the hood is now faded and the driver side rocker panel has just started to rust through but the truck is still solid and runs great.
truck.jpg

Back