My Dog Passed Away Yesterday

My sincerest condolences.

1000000044.jpg

So sorry, Donald. We've all been there and it sucks really badly. We get through it somehow, but it's one of the worst things we have to face.

Thank you for bravely sharing your sadness.

Dennis

Man, this really hit me hard. And it was totally unexpected. He was fine until about 1:00 PM the day before yesterday. Running, jumping on and off the couch to get me up, demanding attention, and just raising hell in general like he always does.

Then he just stopped. And he laid on the living room rug and had a strange look in his eye. I knew something was wrong. He could barely get up and walk. I thought maybe he just pulled something.

I called the vet right away, and just my luck he was away, attending some sort of Veterinary conference meeting, (or at least that's what they told me), and he wouldn't be back until next Monday. At this point he seemed to be resting comfortable, and I really thought it wasn't too serious, and would pass.

I guess that's what I wanted to think. By late last night he had gotten progressively worse. His breathing got shorter, and he couldn't stand on his own. I thought we were going to lose him a couple of times over the night.

By morning it was obvious he had suffered a bad stroke, or something similar. I carried him outside so he could do his business, which he did with lot of difficulty. After that he tried to walk, but his legs gave out and he just fell over. I knew then it was over. He was suffering badly at this point.

I ended up calling most every vet in town with no luck. Half of them wouldn't even answer the phone, with just a recording to leave a message for a call back. I finally got a hold of the Animal Humane Society here in town, and I told them what I was up against, and they said they could see him at 2:30 PM yesterday.

And that was it. Just like that. I don't know what they gave him, but it was over in seconds. From healthy, to sick, to gone, in almost no time. That is it for me. No more dogs. I've had them all my life since I was a kid. But for me as I get older, I just can't take the grief when that time comes. My wife really took it hard, as did I.

They just don't live long enough. I really thought this guy had an easy 5 more years in him, just by the way he acted. But you just never know. Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but thanks for listening.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets ask so little from us and give so much. They give us so many good days and one of our worst. You did the kind, brave thing .
All dogs go to heaven, especially yours.

The loss will never go away. Not with a beloved pet any more than a beloved family member (not to be blunt or insensitive about it, but for me, pets effect my life in much the same way as most people do: the difference is every pet I’ve had has been undeniably loyal….)…. All I can offer is to reflect on all the great times and memories you share with him, and live best you can how he would want you to…. Grieving can be hard, incredibly hard…. To me, that’s healthy. Just don’t bottle anything in. Find a friend, another furry companion, or a hobby to let you constructively process the grief.

Dogs, cats, most furry pets, have shorter normal life spans than humans. Its a fact of life. About the only domesticated pet that lives on for decades, if healthy, is a parrot.

As a result, anyone who is a life long pet owner is likely to experience several of their pets passing. It hurts.

But what is important is, you loved your pet for its time on Earth, and it loved you. You gave it a loving life for as long as its natural life.

Be proud of that. And go to a shelter to give a wonderful life to another furry friend.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to keep busy today. I've got a lot of things to do that I've been putting off. At least it will help keep my mind off of it.

Wow…. Bless your heart man…. I feel for you.

I really sincerely appreciate you sharing this very, very, difficult experience on here. Hard to wrap our heads and heart around something that happens like this to our pets. Very, very hard in fact.

You Just take care of yourself…

Dogs, cats, most furry pets, have shorter normal life spans than humans. Its a fact of life. About the only domesticated pet that lives on for decades, if healthy, is a parrot.

As a result, anyone who is a life long pet owner is likely to experience several of their pets passing. It hurts.

But what is important is, you loved your pet for its time on Earth, and it loved you. You gave it a loving life for as long as its natural life.

Be proud of that. And go to a shelter to give a wonderful life to another furry friend.

Exceptionally well stated here… Great day but this is enough to get me teary eyed… Because it’s so very, very true.

It's hard, my Lilly (retriever) still brings tears and smiles after 5 years. I'm so sorry for your loss.

The hardest thing for me about losing this little guy, was the fact that in 11 of the 12 years we had with him I was retired. I spent more time with him on a day to day basis, than with any other dog I had.

When you're working, you're usually gone most of the day. So you only have a little bit of time in the morning, and a bit more after work. And of course the weekends. And then you are always busy. So the time you have to really enjoy each other is limited.

I was with him 24/7 for 11 straight years. Even when we moved out here 5 years ago, he rode in the front seat with me on every trip. He loved all of it because it was something new and exciting for him..... Me too.

And it's amazing how well we got to know each other. I swear he could read my facial expressions and moods, just as I could read his. He didn't have to talk. We always had a way of being able to communicate with each other.

Sorry for the loss. To put it plainly, it sucks. When I lost my first dog, it hit me like a ton of bricks, my wife too. Still miss her. Time will heal brother. Do you have any pictures of the dog?

Back