People that shouldn't be driving

Pet Peeve - people cutting diagonally across parking lot lines, not staying in marked lanes.
Another kamikaze move!
How about the California Highway Exit? A driver in the far left lane realizes that the immediate exit is theirs exit so they proceed to cut off Four lanes of traffic missing their exit. Not to be deterred they put their vehicle in reverse and reverse on the shoulder to their exit.

I take a bridge to work every day. I would have to say the majority of vehicles are not centered in their lane, as if they are "scared" of the median. I know that when I was 16 and learning to drive, my dad told me to get closer to the median, my vehicle is not so wide that I have to be off center. If we remove these folks off the road it would be significant, so rather maybe they should be retrained.

Then, again there are so many oddities in PA. There are people who come to a complete stop, behind the stop line, on a solid green. They let the light turn yellow, then red. They wait for the next cycle which will give them a green arrow. These folks should have their licenses suspended, then revoked.

I take a bridge to work every day. I would have to say the majority of vehicles are not centered in their lane, as if they are "scared" of the median. I know that when I was 16 and learning to drive, my dad told me to get closer to the median, my vehicle is not so wide that I have to be off center. If we remove these folks off the road it would be significant, so rather maybe they should be retrained.

Then, again there are so many oddities in PA. There are people who come to a complete stop, behind the stop line, on a solid green. They let the light turn yellow, then red. They wait for the next cycle which will give them a green arrow. These folks should have their licenses suspended, then revoked.
There are people who naturally just have poor spacial skills. I see this around as well, saw an elderly person driving in the bike lane with like 4ft between them and the centre line. Not sure what would have happened if there was a bike in the bike lane...

I also see regularly seniors taking up both lanes on 4-lane streets. These have narrower lanes and apparently staying between the lines is no longer, if it ever was, within their current level of ability.

Thing is, you can spot this stuff coming, quite unlike one of them just turning in front of you or into you because they don't have the wherewithal to know what lane to turn from and lack the cognition to see the issue with suddenly going from parallel to perpendicular to the traffic you are travelling with, cutting across it.

My dad is 85 years old. On a recent visit with him I had the nail biting experience of riding in his car with him doing the driving. Scared the heck out of me! He used to be a very good driver (decades ago I assume). He sort of wanders all over his lane and has very slow or delayed reactions. And you should see him driving at night.....I swear he's almost blind! Scary. I told him (rather gently) that he should never drive at night and to be very careful during the day. How do you tell a cranky old man with a very bull-headed attitude and independent personality that perhaps it is time to give up driving? He has nobody else to depend on as his wife passed several months ago. Guess I should figure out how to have that talk with him soon before he gets into a wreck.

Another group who should be monitored is those with handicapped/disabled plates regardless of age. It's those vehicles I commonly see driving slow in the passing lane, holding up traffic, or driving with high-beams on at all times in traffic at night.

You'd think the cops would be all over those high-beam drivers in particular, as they're blinding other drivers and are either impaired or covering an equipment malfunction (low-beam burned out).

Used to do the not being center in the lane thing. You consider that they might believe they are center to right side of the road, but not the lane if that makes sense? It was sorta subconscious so I didn't notice it till my first year of licensed driving was over. Only reason why I noticed was because the road crown's effect on the 04' is way worse if you do that vs. being perfectly centered in the lane.

Used to do the not being center in the lane thing. You consider that they might believe they are center to right side of the road, but not the lane if that makes sense? It was sorta subconscious so I didn't notice it till my first year of licensed driving was over. Only reason why I noticed was because the road crown's effect on the 04' is way worse if you do that vs. being perfectly centered in the lane.
Not sure the justification, you're saying the vehicles drive better when taking up more than one lane? Even if that were the case, I don't think that's the right way to drive. I don't see tractor trailers doing that. And if anything, it seems the younger the driver, the more they do this, not the other way around...

Another group who should be monitored is those with handicapped/disabled plates regardless of age. It's those vehicles I commonly see driving slow in the passing lane, holding up traffic, or driving with high-beams on at all times in traffic at night.

You'd think the cops would be all over those high-beam drivers in particular, as they're blinding other drivers and are either impaired or covering an equipment malfunction (low-beam burned out).
I saw a cop in my town pull over one of them ghost cars on the way to the gym around 7 AM today (wfh today)--that's extremely bad luck for the driver. He must have thought everywhere is like the city of Philadelphia where it is a policy to leave them alone. My hunch is if this car woulda stuck to the main state road, even our town cops likely would have ignored them. I think cars with illegal tints should be removed from the road along with their drivers. Pretty hard to make a case, I didn't realize my tints were 5% and I have no plates or license or insurance....

Not sure the justification, you're saying the vehicles drive better when taking up more than one lane? Even if that were the case, I don't think that's the right way to drive. I don't see tractor trailers doing that. And if anything, it seems the younger the driver, the more they do this, not the other way around...
Nah. It was just a simple flaw in my driving style. No justification here, just giving you a reason why people do that if you're interested. At first I thought it was because the alignment was off (it was), but after replacing the rack and doing the alignment I noticed it didn't get much better. Simply put, I thought I was centered, but I wasn't.

Nah. It was just a simple flaw in my driving style. No justification here, just giving you a reason why people do that if you're interested. At first I thought it was because the alignment was off (it was), but after replacing the rack and doing the alignment I noticed it didn't get much better. Simply put, I thought I was centered, but I wasn't.
I see, but isn't it a visual thing, the position of the vehicle in the lane....

I see, but isn't it a visual thing, the position of the vehicle in the lane....
Sorta. My brain was thinking that the center of the road NOT center of the lane was the center. In the 04' the 2 are actually pretty similar on a lot of straight roads. In short, there are 2 centers of the road if that makes sense. I chose the wrong center. I might MSPaint something in a sec to illustrate the difference.

Sorta. My brain was thinking that the center of the road NOT center of the lane was the center. In the 04' the 2 are actually pretty similar on a lot of straight roads. In short, there are 2 centers of the road if that makes sense. I chose the wrong center. I might MSPaint something in a sec to illustrate the difference.
I think I know what you are saying which means people need to be trained or retrained....but my hunch is they don't care they don't want to be centered it "feels" too close to the median and they're ok with holding up others by using more than one lane... :giggle:

I think I know what you are saying which means people need to be trained or retrained....but my hunch is they don't care they don't want to be centered it "feels" too close to the median and they're ok with holding up others by using more than one lane... :giggle:
True. I thought you were referring to a 2-lane bridge with 2 service lanes. I never had that problem on multi-lane roads.

Too many old folks are too stubborn to give up driving, and their freedom. I was the same way for a couple years and would only drive in town. I was a menace at night and could not even see the streets that I was familiar with for years.

Finally called it and turned the keys over to my Granddaughter, before something bad happened. My Dad used to do that stuff. Pulled the shifter down in first gear, then tried to drive 60 MPH. Locals could hear him coming, but he could not hear well. :ROFLMAO:

Turning left from the outside lane, or turning right from the inside lane is very popular where I’m from. Reading their phone, bass thumping, blunt burning, and seat reclined where you can see the hairline only is the typical description of these drivers. They also ignore traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, and general-common rules of the road. Oh but have a collision with one and you had better lawyer up…

Turning left from the outside lane, or turning right from the inside lane is very popular where I’m from. Reading their phone, bass thumping, blunt burning, and seat reclined where you can see the hairline only is the typical description of these drivers. They also ignore traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, and general-common rules of the road. Oh but have a collision with one and you had better lawyer up…
Saw someone in the big Tesla rear end a woman in an ordinary Santa Fe. The guy was spending all his time looking over his car and its damage. I was thinking do you even care about the other person, just seemed vain.

Too many old folks are too stubborn to give up driving, and their freedom. I was the same way for a couple years and would only drive in town. I was a menace at night and could not even see the streets that I was familiar with for years.

Finally called it and turned the keys over to my Granddaughter, before something bad happened. My Dad used to do that stuff. Pulled the shifter down in first gear, then tried to drive 60 MPH. Locals could hear him coming, but he could not hear well. :ROFLMAO:
I wish my dad was as self-aware as you are. Going to be hard to tell him he shouldn't drive anymore.

This is why I try to keep as much distance as possible between me and other cars. If they cut across 4 lanes but I'm 1/4 mile away from any cars then I have space to react.

When slow drivers or traffic lights make bunches of cars I like to stay in the empty space between the bunches

Here in Arizona if it's not rush hour most people use their blinker and don't cut people off. We all go 70+ except the snowbirds who like to get on the highway and go 55 in the far left lane

You see stupid driving every day among all age groups.
Running late to work? Get out of bed a little earlier.
Have an urgent appointment to get to? Leave a little earlier.
Every driver has the right to expect reasonable driving behavior from every other.
Daily driving is a cooperative endeavor, not a competitive one.
Accidents often result in serious economic and physical consequences and drivers need to grasp this before acting as though driving is a video game or a race.

Back