To Prius or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Personally I would keep the 08 Yaris. It is the most bullet proof and cheapest to maintain/repair vehicle in Toyota's lineup. It is not even 10 years old and assuming proper maintenance, it should be fine until it's 15 years old.

That's what I would do/am doing. For how much we would get for our cars, its not really worth selling them. I guess if toyota was going to give $6k or something crazy for the Yaris, and you could get the Corolla for $16k or the Prius for $21k, then its probably a decent idea to trade.
I have a hard time trading into the same type of car that doesn't do anything functionally different.

Problem with Corolla is that you likely get the CVT. Will it last 10+ years? Decent chance, but I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let someone else prove how long it will last. Finding the 4AT or 6MT is likely harder.

Camry is stuck with automatic, but if you do "lots" of highway driving it would be my vote.

Prius would be nice, but IMO I think cheap gas is here for a few more years. I don't feel like doing out the math to figure out how long it would take to recoup that $4k premium, mostly because I can't predict what gas prices will do in the future. Prius doesn't have a reliability problem, so both the Camry and Prius should have no problem hitting the 10 year mark (Corolla should too, although I think the CVT is still unproven).

Personally, unless if you *need* a new vehicle I'd skip. It's always tempting to jump ship, and it's always tempting to look at the APR and believe one is saving money; but it's still (usually) cheaper to buy used, when looking at TCO and cost/mile. If you aren't doing lots of highway I'd just find out how to make the Yaris last longer. Rustproofing and maintenance will go a long ways.

First off, that promo e-mail from the dealer is a rip-off. A quick search on Truecar shows that the Prius II is $21,722. The other two were within $1K of the Truecar price.

Secondly, I agree Ethan1 regarding the plug-in hybrids (PHEV). You can find very cheap used PHEVs right now. Back in January, I got a 2013 C-Max Energi with 11K miles for ~$17K. It has every available feature and on my 74 mile round-trip commute, I've been averaging 59.7 MPG including charging it nearly every night. I test drove a 2015 Prius II before buying my C-Max and it felt disconnected from the road and the ride was rubbery/unstable through the corners and over bumps. The Prius was quiet enough in the city but there was pronounced road noise and wind noise on the highway made me pass that car up. The C-Max weighs an extra 800 lbs which helps give it a smooth ride. Part of the extra weight is fair amount of noise insulation, combine that with the active noise cancellation system and it makes the C-Max one of the quietest car that I've ever driven.

Here is one in your area with less than 8.5K miles on it for an $18K asking price (you can get them down): This car has every available option including the panoramic moonroof and the parking technology package-which allows this car to parallel park itself.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw out another suggestion here, RAV4 Hybrid. I used to have a Yaris so am familiar with how it feels and compares. My vehicle history looks like 09 Yaris (new for 1 year), 2011 CR-Z (new 1.5 years), 2012 Lexus CT200h (used 2 years), 2015 F-150 (new current). The CT is a Prius drivetrain on a Matrix chassis. I really enjoyed the CT but missed the little bit extra utility that the Yaris had from sitting a bit higher. My wife started driving the CT and complained of the same issues and asked for something a bit bigger. This past weekend we bought a RAV4 Hybrid. Without a doubt this is the most comfortable car I've driven and has been giving outstanding fuel economy. It looks like the XLE trim has similar features to the Prius Two that you were looking at. Price is a bit more but would be worth it to me. Check out Kenosha Carmax as they had some decent deals when I was searching.

Two people I know have had the main battery fail with their Prius around the 150-175K range. Considering the extra cost of the Prius, just buy a straight gas car.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Personally I would keep the 08 Yaris. It is the most bullet proof and cheapest to maintain/repair vehicle in Toyota's lineup. It is not even 10 years old and assuming proper maintenance, it should be fine until it's 15 years old.

+10000

Oooooo zero percent interest.....!!
But what is the rate of depreciation on a new car? 12-18% per year for the first 5 or so years?
That is a pretty steep effective interest rate....

I would keep the Yaris and pocket the car payment. In 2 years you will have about 10,000, perfect to buy something nice and used. Who knows maybe in 2 years what you need in a car will have changed?

Unless you are a high roller.... But then again high rollers don't finance cars...

My friend has a 2008 civic hybrid that has a dead main battery.... $$$$

BTW I would FINANCE a NEW Prius in a heartbeat before I bought a USED Volkswagen

Last edited:
Golf or Sportwagen, but I'm biased b/c mine is quite fun and economical too.

Especially if you can find a Golf for $16-17k or GSW (golf sportwagen) for 18-19k - these will feel higher end than anything in your original list.

If you can handle driving the stick (traffic concerns, etc) they get great mpg (I'd say avg 2+ over ATX)

Small CUV are best compromise do it all car.

New Rav 4 now is only what 600 more for hybrid than gas only.

Not Japanese made though?

How many miles per year?

Best bang for buck is Kia Forte compact/mid size sedan for about 14-16K. Stunning car.

Nah, a new rav4 for $25k, vs a Sportwagen for $18.5k ...
max cargo: 73.4 / 66.5
$ per cu ft storage
$340 for Rav4, $278 for Sportwagen. I easily get more mpg than a rav hybrid also, which only has 70.6 cu ft storage.

IMO, the Sportwagen is a winner, if buying a new car. If used, you can go and pick up a Focus Wagon or an Elantra Touring and get cargo space (aka utility) on the cheap.

I also believe a used Prius, 2010 or newer, is a best buy if you have lots of commuting miles. Very reliable, very economical.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
$ per cu ft storage
$340 for Rav4, $278 for Sportwagen. I easily get more mpg than a rav hybrid also, which only has 70.6 cu ft storage.

IMO, the Sportwagen is a winner, if buying a new car. If used, you can go and pick up a Focus Wagon or an Elantra Touring and get cargo space (aka utility) on the cheap.

I also believe a used Prius, 2010 or newer, is a best buy if you have lots of commuting miles. Very reliable, very economical.
Haven't you already had check engine lights?

"Dollars per cubic foot"? Buy a used school bus
crazy2.gif

^ lol - yes a school bus would be best for cargo capacity per dollar. But a wagon does everything a CUV does, better, excepting having about 2-4" more ground clearance (rarely ever needed/used)

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Haven't you already had check engine lights?

Just one. Recurred twice, at elevation. Secondary air pump. I cleared it, never comes on below 7k feet or so. Didn't come on last trip to 10k feet. Not worried, as that should be emissions warrantied for 150k miles (PZEV
smile.gif
)

I average 36.6 mpg, with plenty of torque to go up long grades in top gear. The GSW is a pretty great vehicle (I fully admit, long term reliability is still unknown, as I'm aiming for 150k miles)

But a wagon does everything a CUV does, better, excepting having about 2-4" more ground clearance (rarely ever needed/used)

I'd just like to point out that YOU rarely ever need/use. Not the case for everybody.

Originally Posted By: glock19
But a wagon does everything a CUV does, better, excepting having about 2-4" more ground clearance (rarely ever needed/used)

I'd just like to point out that YOU rarely ever need/use. Not the case for everybody.

Yes, but the case for 95% of people who buy "suvs". If I needed ground clearance often enough, we would have bought a Subaru most likely. I'm still way more likely to take my wagon on many more dirt roads than the average CUV/SUV driver.

$ per cu ft storage

Even at same price I would pick VW Sportwagen, I hate SUV/CUV, minivan ... any tall vehicle.

Addressing the original question, which of the three listed by the OP:

I'd take the camry at 0% for 60 months. Corolla is too small for my size frame, and I don't want a small car with an expensive and large heavy battery in it.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/660499029/overview/

20 miles away (used first Chicago zip I found) - $18,737 2016 Sportwagen S 6AT

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresu...archSource=SORT

I'd test drive that vs a Camry, back to back and see how they compare.

Can find Golfs for $1k less. WAAAAYY better car than a Corolla for the same price.

You should be able to get them down another $500. Look into SCCA $500 rebate on VWs. Again, I'm satisfied with my new GSW, and would normally recommend any cheap, reliable car. The current VW discounts, though, make them especially appealing and they are a class above other cars that are currently in their price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back