Tire Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put it off, but I need new tires for my '07 Mercury Milan,V6 Premier. Came with the 225/50/17 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's. They have been good but wonder if there are some other options that are better and possibly less pricey.

Been looking at Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Nitto Motivo's. My son had a set of the Conti's on his Acura TL but they became noisy and did not wear well; in the defense of the tires, he didn't rotate them as soon as he should have.

Are there any opinions on the Nitto Motivo's or some Bridgestone's? I'm open to suggestions but am looking for an all-season that is quiet and responsive but has decent wear.

I have access to Discount Tire, Sam's Club and some local dealers.

Thanks in advance.

michelin primacy MXM4 Lightyears better than the pilot hx mxm4

Last edited:
My mother in law replaced her OE Michelin tires at 70K miles with some cheap tire store tires. They were 60% the cost of the Michelins, and she thought she would save money. Well they only lasted 23K miles before they needed replaced. I tried telling her, but she wouldn't listen. She went back to the Michelin's and is much happier with the purchase.

I've always been a big fan of Michelin and Bridgestone myself.

Michelin makes a great tire but I'm not sure it's cost-effective to replace them with like-kind. If you can find a good price on the Primacy series then go for it.

I have personal experience with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position and can tell you they are a fantastic tire, particularly if you like to drive in a spirited manner but still need to tackle snow from time to time.

Yokohama's Avid Ascend is also a good choice for a little less money. I've had experience with the Avid series and they were excellent, good at everything.

My wife had a CR-V that came with Continental tires. Two of the four were defective from day one and they wore poorly (I replaced those with Yokohamas). Stay away from Continental.

Your experience, plus my son's with the Continentals, has me leaning away from them. Another son had a Fusion with Continental Pro Contact's and while they were quiet and had great steering response, the tires wore quickly.

I'd still highly recommend the michelin primacy mxm4 they are really good tires.

The kumho 4x tires I have currently are also decent and well priced.

they run about 425$ shipped -50MIR = aprox 375$
they are 420 AA,A W-speed rated tires.

I have been quite happy with them. High performance. Nothing I'd put on a track car or autocross car but plenty of tire for most sedans.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 590$ after MIR.
Very new and sporty tire great reviews

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=25VR7PSAS3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Michelin Primacy MXM4 about 685$ after mir
I really wanted these tires but I got the kumho 4x for less than half price.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...romCompare1=yes

What are your priorities? I just threw out some options based on the other tires you were looking at (conti dws etc)

I like the conti DWS also have driven a set on a pontiac g6
They make a huge difference vs the oem hankook 425's
they are made out to be a great winter tire but in my experience its only GREAT vs other UHP all seasons. Many standard touring tires have similar winter traction

If you're more into long tread life and quiet, consider touring tires rather than the high performance varieties, which don't really last very long.

A great choice for you would be the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, a performance-oriented touring tire. You get 90% of say, a Michelin Primacy MXV4, at about 60% the price. They feature a W speed rating, which I think isn't available on the Primacy MXV4,and very expensive on the MXM4 (I mean $200+ per tire). In addition, Kumho has a $50 rebate promotion.

If you don't want a Korean tire, there is the Dunlop Signature II.

If you still a little more performance, consider the Dunlop SP Sport Signature, Kumho Ecsta 4X, and the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric All-Season.

I'm not really a fan of Conti, Cooper, or Pirelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back