Which tire and why for my wrx

We have actually ran into this same thing with a few different Michelin products. They're just fight like crazy to get balanced correctly.
Does Costco have better equipment? That's who sold them to me. I have seen them lifting a BMW properly, but never really thought their techs were any better or worse.

Does Costco have better equipment? That's who sold them to me. I have seen them lifting a BMW properly, but never really thought their techs were any better or worse.
No it's just luck of the draw. Some tires are better than others. Wheels matter a bunch as well. But we have had issues with Michelins being difficult to balance for whatever reason. Didn't used to have that issue but in the last couple years I've seen that a few times.

No it's just luck of the draw. Some tires are better than others. Wheels matter a bunch as well. But we have had issues with Michelins being difficult to balance for whatever reason. Didn't used to have that issue but in the last couple years I've seen that a few times.
Curious, on a replacement tire, does it ever get into the yellow and red dots, or is that more for mfgs? I have never balanced a tire myself, and my uncle was going to let me try but the machine broke and was never replaced at the shop he managed...

Curious, on a replacement tire, does it ever get into the yellow and red dots, or is that more for mfgs? I have never balanced a tire myself, and my uncle was going to let me try but the machine broke and was never replaced at the shop he managed...
If they have the yellow and red dots we line them up not every tire does. The red supercedes the yellow. If it has both the red dot lines up with the valve stem If it doesn't have both and it's just the yellow then line that up with the valve stem.

Falken azenius fl460
Nitto Motivo
Kumho ecsta pa51
General g max as 05
hankook ventus v2 concept 2 H457
falken ziex ze960 a/s

nitto has the best warranty at 60,000 I believe the rest are 45,000 - 50,000 miles
All of these tires fall into the 900-1100 range out the door
Mind you my cost is $550-750 ish. I get tires at cost and will mount and balance them myself. I could get the continental dws06 which is what's on the car now but they're more money as are the Michelin offerings. No doubt they're probably a little bit better tires. That being said I'd like to stay around this price point and will sacrifice a little bit of performance of tread life to do so.
Please share your experience with these tires and any other great input you have. I've owned a set of generals on a different car. The RT43 actually it was average kind of soft but ok. I've owned falkens but never for an extended time. I was happy with them while I had them though. Never have had nittos. I've owned a hankooks and been satisfied as well as kumho. Seems like some kumhos wore out kind of fast and some have been pretty decent. Anyway let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it.
I've had the Generals on our Focus. That Focus as the Motivos now. Both fine performance all seasons. The Generals got noisy as they wore and did get flast spots in v. cold weather.

I've had the Generals on our Focus. That Focus as the Motivos now. Both fine performance all seasons. The Generals got noisy as they wore and did get flast spots in v. cold weather.
How are the motivos wearing and how are they in the cold?

How are the motivos wearing and how are they in the cold?
Cold is fine, keep in mind this is my son's car and I only drive it from time to time...but when I have, they have been fine. They have 15K on them and last I checked were at 6-7/32". He drives it hard and I would think based on that maybe 40K? That's plenty to me for a set of $600 tires (215/50/17).

Cold is fine, keep in mind this is my son's car and I only drive it from time to time...but when I have, they have been fine. They have 15K on them and last I checked were at 6-7/32". He drives it hard and I would think based on that maybe 40K? That's plenty to me for a set of $600 tires (215/50/17).
Definitely. I've never owned nitto tires so I've always been interested in trying them.

Definitely. I've never owned nitto tires so I've always been interested in trying them.
I'd buy these as all seasons without a concern on my own car. I actually run Nitto Neogens on my Passat. They are not a long lasting tire (I would think half of the Motivo life) but looked cool and handle well.

Back