tire size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so just a question dont give me a hard time.
smile.gif
I bought some used tires. They aren't matching tread. The two back are the same 237/75/15 and the fronts are 225/70/15. The front tires are different kinds and the back are the same. Is it OK to have different sizes? I didnt notice it when I bought them and neither did the guy he would probably take them back but they are good tires nice tread and all. Any input is appreciated.

It would help if you told us what vehicle this is related to. Does it have AWD?

In general, having two different tire types (in terms of tread/construction) on the same axle is a no-no.

As for having different sizes front to back, some newer traction control/ESP electronics may complain if they notice that the two axles are turning with different rotational speeds. If you have AWD, there will be even more problems.

I haven't put them on yet. I bought them and then realized it. And I could have sworn when I looked at then they said 235/75/15 but it doesn't .

So as long as each axle has the same size on it it should be OK? I thought it would be but figured I should make sure

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
So as long as each axle has the same size on it it should be OK? I thought it would be but figured I should make sure

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but it's your life...

Quote:
Installing different tires on the left and right sides can significantly upset the handling balance of a vehicle—not to mention its ABS operation. For that reason, it is imperative that tires be installed in front or rear pairs, or complete sets.

Those pairs should be the same construction, size, brand and type, with approximately the same tread wear. In most cases, if you have to buy one new tire, you should buy a pair. It is essential that side-to-side pairs be the same and highly desirable that front and rear pairs also be matched, except in cases such as high-performance cars with larger tires in the rear.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=434704

Correct.

I can personally attest that having three F70-15 general radials then one E 78-15 biasply snowtire on the rear of a 77 Buick is not a good idea if you have a '71 T/A SD455 chasing you through the back roads of town at 80-90 mph. I think he'll live.

I think the general rule is you always want the tires that stick better on the back. That usually means the bigger ones, but I wouldn't put bias ply tires on the rear of anything with radials on the front even it they ARE wider.

One little difference that hasn't been discussed yet - what originally came on the vehicle.

According to Tire Guides 1992 Chevy C/K pickup's came with a variety of tire sizes. If we confine the list to 2WD (C, not K), then it narrows the list a bit - BUT - the smallest tire was a P235/75R15.

That means the 225/70R15's are too small for the truck by 2 sizes. The net effect is that you have increased the risk of failure. With used tires - ones you don't know the history on - going undersized carries more risk than normal.

I'd recommend you exchange those for something larger.

Last edited:
Rear wheel ABS yes

Technically it does not have ABS. It has "rear wheel anti-lock" which is more of a metering system to prevent the back wheels from locking up before the fronts lock up. It won't behave like ABS if it even works properly (I've never seen the system work the way it is intended).

crack open your door and see what it calls for on the certification label, particularly in LOAD RANGE. That size tire has several load ranges, around 101-108. If you need XL (41 PSI) you should have those. Had this idiot roll into my tire shop last weekend in a 3/4 ton truck that called for LTs, 55 psi front, 80 in the rear, with undersized used P-tires he wanted mounted. Sent him home.

Having oversize tires on the rear will mess up your steering geometry a tad.

You have the most basic light duty 1/2 ton truck there is, it could easily take 225's if the label says so.

Those disclaimers about "construction" are holdovers from radial vs bias. If you have a cooper passenger all season on the front left and a michelin on the front right and two other brands on the rear you'll do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back