Tire Warranties

How to handle tire warranties? OK tire boffins here are the important details;

Vehicle: 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander
Vehicle mileage, 77400
Current tires, Cooper CS5 purchased new from Discount Tire on 4/19. Vehicle had 49,519 miles.
Tire size 225/55/18
Tire warranty 80,000
Tires now have ~4/32 tread left
Rotated twice. Have all documentation. Tires always proper inflation, wearing evenly, no alignment issues.
I believe that by 32000 (or probably less) these tires will be illegal.

Since buying tires is not my favorite activity what to do?

1692400851250.jpg

Tire Deets

I would go to DT and have them tell you how much of a prorate you would be getting. I'd like you to let us know, because I know that 2 rotations in 28K miles is not their plan. They might give you a slight prorate--but it would be worth knowing how much, before you price out other places. The AT by me, gives me prorate on tires when they reach 4/32, so you could tell them you are looking for new tires when you go in.

Isn't tire wear related to driving style? Do tires even have a mileage warranty? I mean, someone that burns rubber at every stoplight would get new tires every 1000 miles?

Sounds like you should get a substantial prorate.
These tires haven't come close to their millage warranty.

Are they going to do anything? You're indicating based off what you think you will have for miles for 4/32's, right? I believe the 80k warranty is down to 2/32's. Maybe they will do something for a tire that clearly won't go the distance, but then again, if the point out in the small print that it's 2/32's (wear bars) then I'm not sure what your recourse is.

[For the record, I replace mine at 4/32's. That's 40k for me. RT43's might be rated to 70k but 40k is what I get, going to "my limit". Maybe if I was willing to go to the wear bars I'd get 70k--but wet traction is falling at 4/32's. As a result, I base my tire buying expectations around that--I'll get 40k, and I won't get a prorate. YMMV.]

Vehicle mileage, 77400
Current tires, Cooper CS5 purchased new from Discount Tire on 4/19. Vehicle had 49,519 miles.
Tire size 225/55/18
Tire warranty 80,000
Tires now have ~4/32 tread left
Rotated twice.
No warranty for you. Should have been rotated at least 3 times by now.

tire.jpg

The Tread Wear warranty is available provided that you:
1. are the original owner.
2. rotate your tires in accordance with prescribed rotation patterns at least every 8,000 miles (13,000 km) and it must be recorded.
3. present the tire for adjustment.
4. present this warranty booklet when requesting an adjustment and your original purchase receipt, date of purchase, vehicle type, model, odometer reading and rotation record are properly recorded.

I would go to DT and have them tell you how much of a prorate you would be getting. I'd like you to let us know, because I know that 2 rotations in 28K miles is not their plan. They might give you a slight prorate--but it would be worth knowing how much, before you price out other places. The AT by me, gives me prorate on tires when they reach 4/32, so you could tell them you are looking for new tires when you go in.
If you wait too long and have too much tire wear Discount tire wont pro-rate them.

Update; Went to the DT store nearby and spoke with the manager. Very nice gentleman, measured my tires with his electronic device and said they were 5/32. Not worn enough to be prorated yet. He did agree I wouldn't get anywhere near 80K, probably SIZE]

DT is a good company to deal with.

Suggested that I give them a couple thousand more miles and bring them back to be prorated. Told him I'd be back around January.

DT is a good company to deal with.
You got that in writing? If not, he just blew you off. Terms of the warranty are in black and white. I don't think he can do anything for you and hopes he will be at another location or company starting next year.

Reactions: hrv
You got that in writing? If not, he just blew you off. Terms of the warranty are in black and white. I don't think he can do anything for you and hopes he will be at another location or company starting next year.

I used to work in the warranty area for a major tire manufacturer. What that DT manager said was right on point! No tire manufacturer would do a treadwear warranty with 5/32nds tires - but at 4/32nds, they could probably work a deal out with the manufacturer.

I used to work in the warranty area for a major tire manufacturer. What that DT manager said was right on point! No tire manufacturer would do a treadwear warranty with 5/32nds tires - but at 4/32nds, they could probably work a deal out with the manufacturer.
I was referring to the warranty document saying,
2. rotate your tires in accordance with prescribed rotation patterns at least every 8,000 miles
and the OP stating they have been rotated just twice in the last 28,000 miles.

Exactly, it is not completely worn out yet so the manufacturer can "wait". The driver can sit the car for the next 4 years and never wear it down to 2/32, the car can total, the tire can get a flat at the shoulder so it is replaced without a warranty claim (insurance or owner pay out of pocket), the car can be sold to another person (warranty not transferable), the driver wants something different like an upgraded tires for better safety or performance, etc. Nobody would do a warranty before it is worn out.

This is exactly what he said. Didn't even look at my documentation. Said Cooper Tires are good about their warranties. We'll see.
You didn't mention if your tread depth is a uniform 4/32". If it is, lack of rotation is not the culprit. In fact, I would argue your tires are wearing out in a very nice uniform pattern 😂

Back