Think cell phones should be banned while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: 97f150

I for one work with a phone strapped to my hip. The majority of my work day is also spent in my vehicle driving from jobsite to jobsite. If I were to pull over every time my phone rang or a call needed to be placed I would never get anything done. My company does have a policy on restricting cell phone usage to a hands free device, therefore I use the bluetooth sync system in my truck to make and take calls. Would this be deemed necessary by you?.....probably not, but then again, your stance is set and nothing will change that. What does that mean for me? Diddly squat because you and your beliefs aren't who sign my paycheck.

You can't make/return your calls when your stopped? It MUST be done while you're driving? I don't believe that...

In a field where customers will call once then call a competitor, NO. What you believe is of no consequence to me....

My usage of my phone via a bluetooth device in my vehicle is in no way illegal nor has it been banned, so attempting to justify it to you is not necessary. You're the one who wishes that cell phone usage while driving was banned, so why don't you justify why it isn't necessary?

This is an argument that wont go anywhere because what one might deem necessary, the other wont. I'm sure if I were to follow you around for a day I could find a whole slew of things that you do that I wouldn't think is necessary.

Maybe you're in the wrong business if you would lose customers because of a delayed phone conversation...

I wouldnt lose customers, I would lose whatever job they were calling about. They would call back for the next project etc etc. BUT I certainly dont get paid by the amount of jobs I lose because I listened to a very opinionated fellow on BITOG and chose not to answer the phone just because he thinks its not necassary and should be banned.

I wouldnt lose customers, I would lose whatever job they were calling about. They would call back for the next project etc etc. BUT I certainly dont get paid by the amount of jobs I lose because I listened to a very opinionated fellow on BITOG and chose not to answer the phone just because he thinks its not necassary and should be banned.

Okay, let's assume in your case it is necessary to talk on the phone while driving...I don't see how cell phone use while driving can be certailed at all if there must be exceptions for people like yourself...the argument would be that if one person gets to use their's, then everyone should be able to...and we're right back where we started...

I do, and it should be nationwide, and it should be ALL cell phone use, not just texting. Why do I feel this way? I spend a lot of time on the road and I see a lot of bad and dangerous driving by people messing around with cell phones. Our roadways are dangerous enough without all the distractions that take place inside the vehicle...if someone can convince me there's a good reason for using a cell phone while driving I'll certainly consider that view, but I can't think of a single reason why it's necessary...

How gracious of you to consider views other than your own.

No, I do not.

Many people can do multiple tasks safely. There is no reason to dumb everybody down to the lowest common denominator. That kind of baloney is destroying this country. This used to be a nation that collectively and at the individual level, dreamed big things, and accomplished big things, and wasn't afraid of risks - it embraced them. Now it's full of Nancy boys that are afraid of their own shadow, afraid to work, who just sit around thinking of things other people should be banned from doing because they don't like it.

It's really become an embarrassment.

Instead of demanding that others yield to your self centered view of the world, and if highway safety is such a big concern to you, why not proactively take steps to enhance your own safety?

Driving around in a ten year old high mileage econobox

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2762490&page=1

can't be the safest or most pleasant way to spend a lot of time on the road. Get a modern car, improve your own safety, and maybe help the Ohio economy a bit. Don't just demand that others yield their freedom for your peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: Win
I do, and it should be nationwide, and it should be ALL cell phone use, not just texting. Why do I feel this way? I spend a lot of time on the road and I see a lot of bad and dangerous driving by people messing around with cell phones. Our roadways are dangerous enough without all the distractions that take place inside the vehicle...if someone can convince me there's a good reason for using a cell phone while driving I'll certainly consider that view, but I can't think of a single reason why it's necessary...

How gracious of you to consider views other than your own.

No, I do not.

Many people can do multiple tasks safely. There is no reason to dumb everybody down to the lowest common denominator. That kind of baloney is destroying this country. This used to be a nation that collectively and at the individual level, dreamed big things, and accomplished big things, and wasn't afraid of risks - it embraced them. Now it's full of Nancy boys that are afraid of their own shadow, afraid to work, who just sit around thinking of things other people should be banned from doing because they don't like it.

It's really become an embarrassment.

Instead of demanding that others yield to your self centered view of the world, and if highway safety is such a big concern to you, why not proactively take steps to enhance your own safety?

Driving around in a ten year old high mileage econobox

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2762490&page=1

can't be the safest or most pleasant way to spend a lot of time on the road. Get a modern car, improve your own safety, and maybe help the Ohio economy a bit. Don't just demand that others yield their freedom for your peace of mind.

You're talking in circles...in one sentence you complain that our freedoms are being taken away by Nancys, and then you say I should drive a new, gas hogging tank...I guess to you freedom is more important than safety...or common sense...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win

Many people can do multiple tasks safely.

And many more people can't. You can be the best multitasker on the planet, but that won't prevent you from being hit head on by some dumb girl texting on her phone because she can't multitask.

then you say I should drive a new, gas hogging tank...

When did he say anything about a gas hog? I must admit, I don't know what vehicle plants are in Ohio...

Okay, let's assume in your case it is necessary to talk on the phone while driving...I don't see how cell phone use while driving can be certailed at all if there must be exceptions for people like yourself...the argument would be that if one person gets to use their's, then everyone should be able to...and we're right back where we started...

He's using a handsfree device, not his cellphone.

I see cop's using a cellphone while driving all the time. There are already exceptions however you don't see people asking why they can't do it if the police can.

It's because the police need to, in order to do their job.

The same is true with 97f150. And, I'm sure it applies to thousands of other people who run a business.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
He's using a handsfree device, not his cellphone.

It's still a cell phone and it's still a distraction.

I see cop's using a cellphone while driving all the time.

Pointing to bad behavior to justify other bad behavior?

It's because the police need to, in order to do their job.

No they don't, they have radios in their vehicles, they don't need to use cell phones while they're driving.

The same is true with 97f150. And, I'm sure it applies to thousands of other people who run a business.

Unless answering your phone immediately is a matter of life or death, then it isn't necessary to do while you're driving.

Last edited:
Typical. Just because you cannot imagine why anyone needs a phone then you just BAN ALL PHONES. Brilliant.

Let's reduce everything in America to the lowest common denominator. That seems to be the trend.

Ban away!

Just this afternoon motorcycle riding, crazy woman pulled out and cut me off and I had to brake and swerve. Then she drove in the center turn lane awhile, then did a right turn next intersection from center turn lane across two lanes... and get this... the lights were red. All the while with a cell phone stuck to her ear gabbin.
I don't think they should HAVE to be banned because there are those that can still drive fine, but those that can't should stay off the phone when driving.
Now with all the fires burning all over the state (California), how bout the idiots that throw their burning butts out the window. Most won't as they know better.
You get both types, those in control and know better, and those with a bad wire or something in the head.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Typical. Just because you cannot imagine why anyone needs a phone then you just BAN ALL PHONES. Brilliant.

Let's reduce everything in America to the lowest common denominator. That seems to be the trend.

Ban away!

It has nothing to do with imagination, it's a fact...no one NEEDS to use a cell phone WHILE THEY'RE driving...they can use it before they leave or after they've reached their destination...

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I don't think they should HAVE to be banned because there are those that can still drive fine, but those that can't should stay off the phone when driving.

The problem with this statement is common sense is required, and as we all know in today's narcicistic society, common sense never wins out. Therefore big brother has to step in and make things mandatory...

Originally Posted By: Errtt

The problem with this statement is common sense is required, and as we all know in today's narcicistic society, common sense never wins out. Therefore big brother has to step in and make things mandatory...

The bolded part just makes me laugh....

Ban away!

It has nothing to do with imagination, it's a fact...no one NEEDS to use a cell phone WHILE THEY'RE driving...they can use it before they leave or after they've reached their destination...

I think it's an opinion. Can you prove it's a fact?

Originally Posted By: whip

Ban away!

I think it's an opinion. Can you prove it's a fact?

Excellent question. Not yet answered either...

I like to change the radio station while I'm driving. Not on my radio, on my cell phone.

What's the difference between changing either of them? Ahh, one camp believes that changing the radio station on my cell needs to be illegal. All in the name of "safety".

Unless you also want to make changing the radio station on the built-in radio illegal, the want to make cell phones illegal while driving makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I like to change the radio station while I'm driving. Not on my radio, on my cell phone.

What's the difference between changing either of them? Ahh, one camp believes that changing the radio station on my cell needs to be illegal. All in the name of "safety".

Unless you also want to make changing the radio station on the built-in radio illegal, the want to make cell phones illegal while driving makes no sense.

Actually sound logic. How could one toy be different from another.

The silence is deafening. TWO major questions unanswered...

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

Actually sound logic. How could one toy be different from another.

The silence is deafening. TWO major questions unanswered...

Atleast on a radio with fixed dials/buttons, changing the radio station requires almost no time actually looking at the radio. I doubt anyone has their cell setup to change radio stations in 1 second or less?
Also, in ontario texting/cell usage has overtaken drunk driving as the leading cause of fatal accidents.
We already have a law banning texting and hand held usage but enforcement isn't all that serious yet. I'm sure with a decent telephoto camera they could do 100's of tickets a day per officer. A clear image of the driver, the phone and the license plate should be enough I'd think to just mail tickets to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back