Cell phone and overseas trip

Wife and daughter are going to Italy for a week, then Paris for a couple of days. School trip. No plans to travel beyond that. They have Page Plus for cell plans (whatever is cheapest option) and we use Verizon towers (sorta, their coverage is nonexistent). Phones are Apple, wife has like a 2 year old model, not sure what the daughter has, so I think they have GSM modems. Wife has google voice (?) so as long as she has WiFi she's set--but the concern is, get separated from the group, need to contact the others, that sort of thing.

I see stuff about buying an overseas SIM card and/or burner phones. What is the cheapest and best method? Order a SIM card today, off Amazon or the like, or can she get one right after stepping off the plane (guessing that costs more but should be a sure bet that it's the correct card)? Would said SIM work in both countries, or are two required?

Can your wife/daughter just swap plans on PagePlus for a month to a plan with international calling assuming they are truly worried about international calling and not data?

My experience as a novice when I went to Ireland, relatively easy to buy a SIM card at the airport, pop it in the phone and mess around with it a little if it doesn't automatically work. I probably spent a half hour or so messing around with it at the airport, but my phone was a piece of junk. Cost was $20 or $30 I think and got a week or a month of service.

In hindsight, probably would have made just as much sense to add international service to my existing plan even if it was a few bucks more.

Can your wife/daughter just swap plans on PagePlus for a month to a plan with international calling assuming they are truly worried about international calling and not data?
I'm pretty sure this option won't work on PagePlus. PagePlus runs exclusively on Verizon's older 4G LTE network towers which are CDMA technology. All cell service networks in Europe are GMS based and many are 5G. Although PagePlus offers a $9/mo. International Calling add-on, it only works if calling overseas with the call originating in the U.S.

It might be worthwhile to see if they can purchase a 1-month international GMS SIM/pre-paid plan from T-Mobile since that is the largest cell service provider in Europe.

Is your phone esim compatible, just about all should be now since it's been around for years but still check. My son figured that out when we went to the Bahamas and bought temporary service on some carrier that did offer esim activation and it was a lot cheaper compared to verizon travelpass. You could probably do the same. How many days will you be there. It becomes better price wise the longer you stay.

I'm pretty sure this option won't work on PagePlus. PagePlus runs exclusively on Verizon's older 4G LTE network towers which are CDMA technology. All cell service networks in Europe are GMS based and many are 5G. Although PagePlus offers a $9/mo. International Calling add-on, it only works if calling overseas with the call originating in the U.S.

It might be worthwhile to see if they can purchase a 1-month international GMS SIM/pre-paid plan from T-Mobile since that is the largest cell service provider in Europe.
Thanks for pointing out, I clearly didn't look close enough and just saw international calling as an option.

Are the phones unlocked? "Unlocked" means that a SIM from another cell provider will work in the phones. If your wife and/or your daughter are still paying off the phone/s, then the phone/s is/are locked.

We need info about what actual model it is.

Bottom line is, you can purchase esim or even international roaming sims online, but they are expensive compared to buying in Paris. You can do a cursory search here.

Is your phone esim compatible, just about all should be now since it's been around for years but still check. My son figured that out when we went to the Bahamas and bought temporary service on some carrier that did offer esim activation and it was a lot cheaper compared to verizon travelpass. You could probably do the same. How many days will you be there. It becomes better price wise the longer you stay.
Yep - depends on country (eSIM + SIM) … sometimes we wind up with two phones …

I'll check on the models. I wasn't involved in purchasing the last batch of phones. :)

for sim cards, and please do your own research before transacting with them. These are from trip advisor

I used an iPhone 4 and 5 in 2013-2015 traveling to Russia, France, Germany, Switzerland, Brazil etc... Never had any issues. I have had a Verizon international plan and never an issue.

I was in Mexico in 2022 with my iPhone 12 and not an issue their either. FWIW, I would think the new phones would work just fine as well.

Just my $0.02

I used an iPhone 4 and 5 in 2013-2015 traveling to Russia, France, Germany, Switzerland, Brazil etc... Never had any issues. I have had a Verizon international plan and never an issue.
That's the issue, we don't have a plan with Verizon. Prepay through Page Plus, which happens to use Verizon towers (and will be sun setting in a couple of years, wife is planning to deal with that issue later).

Also, when they buy the SIMs in Europe, be sure they request a new temporary phone number instead of transferring their current phone numbers to the Euro SIMs. Since they are currently on PagePlus (which is a pre-paid MVNO provider), transferring their existing number will cause them to forfeit any balance on their PagePlus plans. In addition, it would be an another hassle to transfer their numbers back to PagePlus upon their return to the U.S. Not worth it for a ~two week trip.

They will also want to ensure their phonebook/contacts list is saved to the phone's onboard memory instead of just on the PagePlus SIM card before switching to the Euro SIM.

Last edited:
Firstly, the GSM vs CDMA phone is a thing of the past. Apple first started to make "world" phones by incorporating both radios circa the iPhone 4, and it stopped being an issue in general once 4G LTE became the standard and achieved widespread penetration. When one says they're "on" Verizon now, it only means that they're getting service from their network of towers, not because their phones only speak CDMA.

The 2018 iPhone XS was the first to accommodate eSIMs, and the budget SE2 got it in 2020, so anything newer won't be an issue.

Like many things, how people approach these sitations is largely a matter of their tolerance for convenience vs cost.

The simplest would be to do nothing, rely on one's native home carrier, and pay through the nose for international roaming charges.

However, being on an MVNO, most of them do not offer roaming, never mind international roaming, and even then it's usually restricted to North America, though there are exceptions like GoogleFi, subject to conditions.

Next easiest option would be to opt for an eSIM, which can be purchased online in advance, and can be activated once on the ground (though one should pay attention to their advice on when to activate). The main disadvantage to this option is that they are data-only plans, and don't have a local phone number and no SMS/MMS. But assuming one is not a luddite, or has particular reason to need a local phone number, voice calls and texts can be accomplished by any number of options, whether FaceTime/iMessage, or the popular IM apps. It also has the advantage of having both services present on the phone simultaneously, making it simple to switch between them.

Buying a physical SIM does give the option of a local phone number, and offers the greatest control over which local carrier is chosen, for reasons such as service quality and coverage. The EU does not allow roaming charges within its territory (sorry, UK), so a SIM purchased in Italy can be used with no problem or additional cost in France, albeit with an Itailian phone number. Not sure why anyone would try to open a can of worms by messing with home phone numbers and foreign carriers, so I wouldn't even consider such a possibility. iPhones use their SIMs only to provide service, and don't store data on them in the normal course of usage, so that's not an issue either.

Each country has its own rules with regard to SIM purchases, and may require additional hoops to comply, so bear that in mind. That's part of what may make pre-purchasing a SIM, or eSIM plan while at home preferable, though again, it might come at a higher cost for that convenience.

One thing I forgot to add -- starting with the iPhone 14, the models sold in the U.S. no longer have physical SIM slots; they are eSIM only. Models sold in the rest of the world can still use physical SIMs. As it was with nano-SIMs, Apple is trying to nudge the industry to adopt eSIMs, and eliminate physical cards altogether. The carriers wouldn't mind this either, since eSIMs provide an additional measure of control, but being incumbent members of a cartel, things move only as fast as they like, slowly.

Which option is best will depend on one's needs, and preferences, so there is no "best" except for what suits you most, based on the itinerary.

Last edited:
Because both countries are in the EU a SIM or eSIM bought in Italy will work fine in France. Data availability will carry over, also. Vodafone Italy is considered the best cell phone provide in Italy. When a phone with an Italian SIM/eSIM is used in France a French cell provider will provide cell service.

My understanding is all CDMA / GSM networks are already retired and everyone at least in the US is on LTE these days.

If you do not have an LTE phone for travel I suggest it is time to upgrade. Get one that has VoLTE not just LTE for data and GSM/CDMA on voice. Pretty much anything made in the last 6 years would be sufficient.

About eSim, they are nice to get an online provider you don't need to pick up the sim in an airport or from the mail, and they tend to be cheaper than those needing a place to pickup in airport for international plan. I've been using something that cost only like $1USD/day for a 1 week trip, and something that cost $15/month for a month trip. I don't think it would be as cheap if I do any roaming plan.

When we were on att, the last few times we have gone overseas, we just paid the $5/line/day and had great service everywhere. This was on iPhone 12pt o and older.

When in London a week ago, the first time overseas since switching to t-mobile, it’s just included in our plan. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s pretty slow. On a 15pro and 15.

But any major carrier should be able,to get you overseas data for no big hassle…

Back