Think cell phones should be banned while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: grampi
I wouldn't dare text and drive, but making a phone call via bluetooth is a piece of cake and isn't dangerous

Whether it's dangerous or not is debateable....whether it's necessary or not is not...

Talking via bluetooth to someone is the same thing as talking to a passenger.

Are you saying that I shouldn't talk to others that are in the car as well?

( I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, just playing devils advocate).

I agree, but also to play devils advocate -- if you are talking to someone on the phone, they could be going on and on and on while you're trying to pay attention. A passenger would more than likely be aware of a stressful driving situation and be quiet.

...But playing advocate again, some passengers probably wouldn't be quiet.

You make a valid point. And, so does another poster directly above me, who mentioned a passenger knows and can see your surrounds which makes them more inclined to shut up when they see something that requires the drivers full attention. Unlike the person on the phone.

I can only speak for myself here, but whenever I do make phone calls via cars radio bluetooth they are very brief, i.e at max 3-4 minutes. Generally only 1 -2 minutes. Generally they are just calls to give me an update on something, doesn't take long. I don't take any personal calls that may last longer than a few minutes.

I use my cell in the vehicle while driving but it runs through my radio and is hands free. I pay attention to what I am doing and if there is a lot of traffic I tell the person I have to call them back. Responsible use is not a problem but I agree with others here that too many people are dangerous when they get yakking on them. Nothing scarier than a 40 something soccer mom in her Escalade roaring down the road at 80 MPH yakking on her phone.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'm not in favor of a law on the books for every bad behavior, so no I personally don't think there should be a specific law.

BUT! I think police departments should RIGOROUSLY enforce bad driving practices that are common examples of cell phone (mis)use in vehicles- weaving, failure to maintain speed, failure to signal, etc. And I think the fines for those offenses need to be boosted- that would not only effectively target cell phone use, but also just plain bad driving. There has historically been WAY too much emphasis on speeding, and not enough on truly dangerous driving habits.

Heck, I'm on the road 1/10th of the time daily that a police officer is, and *I* can see how a car is moving on the road and guess with about a 90% correctness that the driver is on a hand-held phone when I see a set of vehicle behaviors. Cops should be able to do that, and should be able to write highly expensive tickets for those offenses.

This.

The problem is people don't get nailed for plain bad driving.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Solution is search of a problem. The epidemic of accidents has not happened. Accidents have continued to decline.

I see no reason to assume or take this as fact without some cited studies. Overall injuries may be declining, but that can be due to the steady improvement in safety of the pool of currently-driveable vehicles even if the net number of accidents is increasing.

My wife's been in three accidents over the last decade: All rear enders, all cell phone users. No other accidents in our household. Thankfully, all three were minor collisions.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I've personally observed 3 separate wicked rear end'ing accidents because the driver was looking down at their phone. It scares the $#%@ out of me.

Talking on a hands free with auto answer isn't the problem. It's the texting, emailing, dialing, anything that takes your eyes off the road that kills.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
In addition, what about the LEO's that work their laptop computers that sit next to them, while they are moving. Also, insurance adjusters, (such as Progressive adjuster) who also use their laptap while they are moving. I don't car who you are, LEO, adjuster, or whatever, it is not safe using that laptop while driving. BTW, I even saw a guy with a regular car, who had a laptop set up next to him while he was driving. Wonder if there is a law about that. If there is, how is it that LEO's and insurance adjusters are good enough and qualified enough to drive and use their laptop at the same time? (Don't say they don't, as I've seen them doing it).

They have addressed that issue here in MN. Apparently someone driving an emergency vehicle is perfectly capable of using their computer safely while driving. Straight from our law that bans texting (and using a laptop) while driving:

Quote:
Subd. 3.Exceptions. This section does not apply if a wireless communications device is used:

(5) in an authorized emergency vehicle while in the performance of official duties.

I just saw a report on national news about pedestrian / car accidents increasing because people are messing with their cell phones and walking out into traffic. These people can't even walk and use a cell phone, yea I want them doing that when they're driving.

I wouldn't dare text and drive, but making a phone call via bluetooth is a piece of cake and isn't dangerous

Whether it's dangerous or not is debateable....whether it's necessary or not is not...

Talking via bluetooth to someone is the same thing as talking to a passenger.

Are you saying that I shouldn't talk to others that are in the car as well?

( I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, just playing devils advocate).

NO, what I'm saying is ALL cell phone use while driving should be banned to remove any possibility of it being dangerous...it isn't necessary while driving...make/answer your calls before you leave, or after you arrive...

I've participated in these discussions before and I see all sorts of arguments for why hand-free devices should be allowed, or that talking on a phone is no more distracting than holding a conversation with someone in the vehicle or adjusting the radio, but I've yet to have anyone make a case for why it's necessary to use a cell phone at all while you're driving...PUT THE DAM PHONE DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DRIVING!

I've participated in these discussions before and I see all sorts of arguments for why hand-free devices should be allowed, or that talking on a phone is no more distracting than holding a conversation with someone in the vehicle or adjusting the radio, but I've yet to have anyone make a case for why it's necessary to use a cell phone at all while you're driving...PUT THE DAM PHONE DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DRIVING!

I for one work with a phone strapped to my hip. The majority of my work day is also spent in my vehicle driving from jobsite to jobsite. If I were to pull over every time my phone rang or a call needed to be placed I would never get anything done. My company does have a policy on restricting cell phone usage to a hands free device, therefore I use the bluetooth sync system in my truck to make and take calls. Would this be deemed necessary by you?.....probably not, but then again, your stance is set and nothing will change that. What does that mean for me? Diddly squat because you and your beliefs aren't who sign my paycheck.

120 years ago this debate would read something like

"Why would you let anyone in the world (who has a landline phone) ring a bell in your house?"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 97f150

I for one work with a phone strapped to my hip. The majority of my work day is also spent in my vehicle driving from jobsite to jobsite. If I were to pull over every time my phone rang or a call needed to be placed I would never get anything done. My company does have a policy on restricting cell phone usage to a hands free device, therefore I use the bluetooth sync system in my truck to make and take calls. Would this be deemed necessary by you?.....probably not, but then again, your stance is set and nothing will change that. What does that mean for me? Diddly squat because you and your beliefs aren't who sign my paycheck.

You can't make/return your calls when your stopped? It MUST be done while you're driving? I don't believe that...

You can't make/return your calls when your stopped? It MUST be done while you're driving? I don't believe that...

In a field where customers will call once then call a competitor, NO. What you believe is of no consequence to me....

My usage of my phone via a bluetooth device in my vehicle is in no way illegal nor has it been banned, so attempting to justify it to you is not necessary. You're the one who wishes that cell phone usage while driving was banned, so why don't you justify why it isn't necessary?

This is an argument that wont go anywhere because what one might deem necessary, the other wont. I'm sure if I were to follow you around for a day I could find a whole slew of things that you do that I wouldn't think is necessary.

Last edited:

In a field where customers will call once then call a competitor, NO. What you believe is of no consequence to me....

My usage of my phone via a bluetooth device in my vehicle is in no way illegal nor has it been banned, so attempting to justify it to you is not necessary. You're the one who wishes that cell phone usage while driving was banned, so why don't you justify why it isn't necessary?

This is an argument that wont go anywhere because what one might deem necessary, the other wont. I'm sure if I were to follow you around for a day I could find a whole slew of things that you do that I wouldn't think is necessary.

Maybe you're in the wrong business if you would lose customers because of a delayed phone conversation...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
120 years ago this debate would read something like

"Why would you let anyone in the world (who has a landline phone) ring a bell in your house?"
laugh.gif

Yep.

"Why waste money on copper wire, when a horse can carry a letter for but naught?"

"Why waste money on electricity, when candles are cheap, and you can make them at home?"

People feared putting radios into cars, back in the '30's or whenever it was.

Maybe you're in the wrong business if you would lose customers because of a delayed phone conversation...

Boy, would I ever love to change jobs just because I didn't care for reality....

Are you telling me that if you called the local parts place for a price on brake pads / oil / whatever, or called a garage for a quote on a repair, that if you got put onto hold for 15 minutes, or the call was dropped or otherwise interrupted, that you'd bother calling back? It's a dog eat dog world, and customers (including me) don't go back if we don't feel like the seller is bending over backwards for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back