Thankful for law enforcement

LDB

I live in a great town. We have 66 patrol officers and about 30 assorted support personnel and two K9 officers in our town. Here on this board we have a good number of LEO's active, scattered across the country. I am very thankful for all who choose that mostly unacknowledged and inadequately thanked career. In my town I'm "that guy". I don't know that for certain, but whenever I see one of our patrol vehicles stopped without flashing lights I stop and tell them thanks for being out there doing what they are doing. A few of them have seen/heard me many times. I've warned them I will be doing it however long my forever lasts. They know me by my car. I figure they think "it's that guy again". I hope all the LEO members here are acknowledged and thanked regularly as well. You are all very important.

Here is my thought on law enforcement. We need law officers to enforce the law and keep society civil. But, I don't like the anti cop movement of the past few years but I also hate the cop praising that is going on, too. Like getting a special discount if you're a first responder if you shop here. That has also spread to the medical professional crowd with some retailers and services. Like a BSN or an MD is underpaid. Let's quit putting certain occupations on a higher plateau and treat everyone with the same respect they deserve.

Here is my thought on law enforcement. We need law officers to enforce the law and keep society civil. But, I don't like the anti cop movement of the past few years but I also hate the cop praising that is going on, too. Like getting a special discount if you're a first responder if you shop here. That has also spread to the medical professional crowd with some retailers and services. Like a BSN or an MD is underpaid. Let's quit putting certain occupations on a higher plateau and treat everyone with the same respect they deserve.
In my day it was the poor school teachers...

I live in a great town. We have 66 patrol officers and about 30 assorted support personnel and two K9 officers in our town. Here on this board we have a good number of LEO's active, scattered across the country. I am very thankful for all who choose that mostly unacknowledged and inadequately thanked career. In my town I'm "that guy". I don't know that for certain, but whenever I see one of our patrol vehicles stopped without flashing lights I stop and tell them thanks for being out there doing what they are doing. A few of them have seen/heard me many times. I've warned them I will be doing it however long my forever lasts. They know me by my car. I figure they think "it's that guy again". I hope all the LEO members here are acknowledged and thanked regularly as well. You are all very important.
I would not call a town that with 66 officers. That is a city! Town is where I live, less than 10 officers. We have a population of maybe 5000 people.

I would not call a town that with 66 officers. That is a city! Town is where I live, less than 10 officers. We have a population of maybe 5000 people.
Well, we have a population of about 36,000 but being just outside Houston's millions I consider us a terrific town.

What’s your thoughts on military discounts then?

Personal thoughts, most nurses that have staff jobs are underpaid. It’s only by taking travel contracts that they are well compensated. My wife got a whopping $1/hr increase over base rate from her previous employer for having her BSN and I believe it was $1.50 for having a CCRN certification.

Once the “event we do not speak of here” occurred though the agencies started calling because those things allowed them to charge hospitals more for the contract nurses they provided and there was a major shortage.

I whole heartedly agree with you point all people should be respected no matter their occupation. Then again I’ve spent most of adult life as a dealership tech and some of it as an advisor. So I’m used to being hated for my job 🤣 Especially on internet car forums. Oh and my father was a cop so I guess being a glutton for punishment runs in the family.

I'm all for them, it's just the bad apples that stain the good. :mad:

That's good that the department seems on the up and up. Aurora and Arvada CO pd seem to be on a shoot first ask questions later policy.

What’s your thoughts on military discounts then?

Personal thoughts, most nurses that have staff jobs are underpaid. It’s only by taking travel contracts that they are well compensated. My wife got a whopping $1/hr increase over base rate from her previous employer for having her BSN and I believe it was $1.50 for having a CCRN certification.

Once the “event we do not speak of here” occurred though the agencies started calling because those things allowed them to charge hospitals more for the contract nurses they provided and there was a major shortage.

I whole heartedly agree with you point all people should be respected no matter their occupation. Then again I’ve spent most of adult life as a dealership tech and some of it as an advisor. So I’m used to being hated for my job 🤣 Especially on internet car forums. Oh and my father was a cop so I guess being a glutton for punishment runs in the family.

I prefer how America was before the Solider glory came into play after 9/11.

Ever since covid it seems all cops are simply work to rule. You rarely see them enforce anything anymore. I know someone who had $40 000 worth of tools stolen in a home break in. I found the tools for sale online. This person took allthat infomto the cops and they did nothing at all. Calgary, AB

I think that’s a fair point then. I feel like if a business chooses to recognizing military for their service then EMTs(not all healthcare workers although, I’ve heard plenty of crazy patient stories some involving staff being murdered), Firefighters and LEOs are also on that same “risking personal injury for public service” level.

If a business says all our customers are important we offer the best deal to everyone, I’m ok with that too.

And quite honestly, I am a bit embarrassed by it as well.

It‘s not that I didn’t earn it, because that’s another subject, it’s rather the sense of entitlement I see among so many military folks now. Pestering clerks and servers for a military discount.

Boarding airplanes early, for example, used to be a sign of appreciation, now it’s rampant entitlement on display. I don’t like it.

I don’t ask for military discounts and as a retiree, I don’t board the plane early, because I am not active duty.

When asked if I am military, I say that I am retired.

I donated to a good cause and I got a great POW cap for it in navy blue . I don't where caps usually but I liked it..

I quit wearing it when I got a really bad case of Lyme disease as people would stalk me in the stores trying to thank me for my service...true story.

On military discounts, I sometimes wonder if it is marketing a group that makes a steady paycheck. Give ten percent off and gain the business/ loyalty of a large group that gets a steady check.

That is somewhat how GEICO got started. Government Employees Insurance Company. Someone figured out government employees were a better risk than employees working for private organizations.

Maybe, just maybe, military discounts result in higher profits for the organizations offering them.

Ever since covid it seems all cops are simply work to rule. You rarely see them enforce anything anymore. I know someone who had $40 000 worth of tools stolen in a home break in. I found the tools for sale online. This person took allthat infomto the cops and they did nothing at all. Calgary, AB
I know the feeling. I had a neighbor shoot my dog because he didn’t like me due to a prior encounter. We’ll call him Stu, Stu Pidasso. I had two witnesses(other neighbors)tell me the dog was walking across Stu’s property. The dog actually followed one of them there as they were helping Stu move some furniture. He saw it pulled out his AR and opened fire hitting the dog in the hind leg.

I called local Sheriff’s dept and the deputy told me while dogs in the county have free range all that guy would have to do is make a claim it had been threatening to him or damaged property on the past and he was in his right to shoot it. So he wasn’t going to come out there.

The officer did assure me that if I decided to put Stu’s nose on one side of his face instead of the center I’d be hearing from him. I said if Stu had the testicular fortitude to open his door when I got off work that I’d be seeing the officer at around 6 pm. He did not answer his door that night, I blocked the county road with my truck once when we met in passing and he took the ditch.

The positive was I didn’t end up in jail and many of the other neighbors stopped taking crap off of him once they saw he was just a blow hard that made lots of threats.

I know the feeling. I had a neighbor shoot my dog because he didn’t like me due to a prior encounter. We’ll call him Stu, Stu Pidasso. I had two witnesses(other neighbors)tell me the dog was walking across Stu’s property. The dog actually followed one of them there as they were helping Stu move some furniture. He saw it pulled out his AR and opened fire hitting the dog in the hind leg.

I called local Sheriff’s dept and the deputy told me while dogs in the county have free range all that guy would have to do is make a claim it had been threatening to him or damaged property on the past and he was in his right to shoot it. So he wasn’t going to come out there.

The officer did assure me that if I decided to put Stu’s nose on one side of his face instead of the center I’d be hearing from him. I said if Stu had the testicular fortitude to open his door when I got off work that I’d be seeing the officer at around 6 pm. He did not answer his door that night, I blocked the county road with my truck once when we met in passing and he took the ditch.

The positive was I didn’t end up in jail and many of the other neighbors stopped taking crap off of him once they saw he was just a blow hard that made lots of threats.
Shot your dog!?!

I’m just speechless…at the whole story.

Back