Tapping noise on startup with Wix 51060

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I recently changed the oil on my 98 chevy K3500 with the 454(7.4L) engine and used a Wix 51060 filter. Granted this vehicle usually sits a couple of weeks between starts but with this filter, I'm getting a loud tapping noise the first few seconds of operation. I don't recall this loud of a noise with the previous filter, a Pure one.

Has anyone had this problem when using this filter? I'm assuming this filter has an Anti-drainback valve in it. This engine now sounds like my engines did years ago when I use to use Fram filters. Thanks.

Wayne

I would say it is unrelated. If you changed brands or weight of oil, that would be more suspect. Take the rig on a nice long highway drive and then see if it makes the tapping sound again next time you start it. Good Luck

Thanks for the replies. This is the first time using a Wix filter on this truck. The previous filter was the Pure one and before that I used AC-Delco. I quit using the Delco's because of the E-core construction which I don't like.

I did change the oil viscosity from 10W-30 to 5W-30 because of the winter months so that might have been part of it but I don't recall the tapping noise like this when I previously used 5W-30 in this truck. The oil brand has been the same for a while now.(Valvoline).

I guess its not really that big of a deal other than I don't like hearing the sound. I doubt its really doing any damage. I do have another Pure one filter so I will probably run it with 5W-30 next to see if there is any changes. I only change oil once a year in this truck because of the low miles driven in a year. Thanks again.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I recently changed the oil on my 98 chevy K3500 with the 454(7.4L) engine and used a Wix 51060 filter. Granted this vehicle usually sits a couple of weeks between starts but with this filter, I'm getting a loud tapping noise the first few seconds of operation. I don't recall this loud of a noise with the previous filter, a Pure one.

Has anyone had this problem when using this filter? I'm assuming this filter has an Anti-drainback valve in it. This engine now sounds like my engines did years ago when I use to use Fram filters. Thanks.

Wayne

My Chevy did the same thing using a NAPA Gold filter. No issues when I changed back to Purolator or AC Delco.

Well, I'm surprised that the wix would do this since everyone seems to brag about these filters. Like I said before, I have another Pure one for this truck so I will try it with the 5W-30 and see what happens. I'm tempted to pull the Wix off of there now and put the Pure 1 on even though I have almost no miles on the oil change.

Wayne

I found this post while doing a google search on this filter. I forgot that I had posted this and I guess I forgot about this problem because I used this filter again on my last oil change.

I'm having trouble again with this filter making a loud tapping noise on start up. The noise goes away after about five seconds. Funny thing is that it only recently started and was not doing it when I first installed it. I have about 800 miles on this oil change and am using 5W-30 PYB.

This filter is mounted horizontally. Do you think the ADV has quit working and does Wix have any history of bad ADV's? Thanks for any info.

Wayne

This filter is mounted horizontally. Do you think the ADV has quit working and does Wix have any history of bad ADV's? Thanks for any info.

Is that filter making the noise, or the engine?
wink.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

It could be a bad ADBV. I haven't had problems with Wix ADBVs before (or any others for that matter), but it's certainly not unheard of.

LOL, it is the engine and not the filter. I should have worded that sentence a little different.

I ordered a AC-Delco PF1218CL filter, which is the classic design filter and not the E-core version and will use it on the next oil change and see if it makes any difference.

The noise probably doesn't hurt anything but I just don't like hearing the noise. Thanks.

Wayne

LOL, it is the engine and not the filter. I should have worded that sentence a little different.

I ordered a AC-Delco PF1218CL filter, which is the classic design filter and not the E-core version and will use it on the next oil change and see if it makes any difference.

The noise probably doesn't hurt anything but I just don't like hearing the noise. Thanks.

Wayne

So,did the AC filter make the noise go away?

I don't see how the adbv could do this. Oil flow goes thur the outside litte holes first past the adbv. Even a junked out oil pump will overcome any, if at all, resistance the adbv creates.
As far as tappet noise, piece of something in that lifter.
Put 8-10oz's of Marvel Mystery oil in to clean out junk.
Try a NAPA 1061 filter. Same filter, no adbv.

Last edited:
I have had this problem on lots of 454's between 1997 and 1999, they even had a TSB saying it was normal. Mine has done off and on quite a bit not really much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back